Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:32 PM

Crochet2

Good for you not contributing to the cake fund. I'm doing the same thing for our spring potluck. They want you to either bring a item or pay $5.00.. not a bad deal I suppose but last year there wasn't enough food or food that I could eat with my special diet. So this year I'm making plans to go to United Parcel Service over my lunch to get a business membership as our company has decided not to let us use theirs anymore... really bumming about that as my cost will go up 50%.

Today was a really busy day at work so I didn't get on here as much as I'd like to have... we are 2 months behind on getting catalog requests out as we had a new catalog designed and our phones were ringing off the hook all day, short one sales rep. as she has come down with the flu for the third time this year.

Frugal here was eating dinner at home tonight. Salmon Steaks with rice for me, dh made his into subs with tomatoes and cheese. Dessert was a can of peaches over the rest of the Angel Food with whipped topping. Tommorow night will probably be ice cream.

Tonight I'm working on packing up a case of candles for my friend to take to the bowling league, only 2 more weeks then they break for summer. I have to start getting things ready for our yard sale too.

The egg salad is a very cheap lunch, easy to make. I take out the egg yolks and give to my dogs. Just the egg whites, each egg is 17 calories. Of course adding the mayo ups the calories again and cholesterol but I try to use it sparingly and using the celery instead of bread cuts down on the carbs too. I lost 2 lbs. since yesterday and hope to continue loosing as I gained 10 lbs.

Well better get off here and get things done. Take care everyone.

Anna
Old 04-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

well way back in December I thought I was being frugal by buying a leather desk chair for my oldest son for Christmas. it was on sale plus it had a $30 rebate. I mailed in everything and waited and waited and waited. Finnally I heard from them the first of Feb. that my check was in the mail. I waited and waited it still didn't come. I called, I emailed then they emailed me and said they supposedly sent me a new check 2 weeks ago that was suppose to take 10 days to get here. Moral of the story don't count on getting a reabe from office max.
Iris
Old 04-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by jjoj Redcardinalbird, I love the Dealz store! I like the one on Hurstbourne best. The one on Preston doesn't have frozen or refrigerated products. I didn't realize they had cereal. I may have to go there Friday. Isn't it funny-I may have even seen you there before and not even realized it! Well, take care and I'll talk to you all later! [/B]
jjoj - How true! As I tend to shop on Hurstbourne we could have at Dealz, Meijers or other. I have not been in the Preston Dealz.

As I had to deliver a letter to the thrift store I did shop a little. I only look for the tags that are half off for the week. I found DS some jeans as he is wearing his thru at the knees. Also found an outfit for myself. I did notice that the prices at this store have gone up. They use to have really good deals.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 04-14-2005, 04:28 AM
Nine Year Member

It has been a very busy week for me. I've just been doing loads of cold wash, full dishwasher runs using half of the called for detergent. Gas is down a little so I should fill up the can for the mower.

Had an all day seminar yesterday car pooled with two other ladies and they each gave me $5 for gas money, our manager paid for lunch at Applebees and I won a $25 Visa gift card. Paid the sitter for 11 hours so it all washes out in the end.

Today I'm having a breakfast meeting at Cracker Barrel with the Divisional Manager, my manager and some representatives in my district and the Divisional is paying.

Last night we ate the leftover pork from Monday and tonight we will eat up the leftover chicken & noodles from Tuesday's potluck dinner.

Roberta
Old 04-14-2005, 05:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have a question for everyone: does anyone here do much selling at resale shops? I have a bunch of clothes that I would like to take in, but I'm trying to decide if it will be worth it.

Frugal yesterday was a trip to the day old bakery. I spent only $7 and came home loaded with "stuff!" I love that place. And I've learned to utilize my freezer so I make fewer trips. My mom used to go to the day old bakery a lot when I was a kid--she was a stay at home mom with 3 kids. I've been learning a lot just looking back at all of the smart things she did!

All for the moment--have a great day everyone! It's almost the weekend!
Old 04-14-2005, 07:23 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning! Frugal for me today is resisting the temptation to go grocery shopping a day early just because I have the car available. Instead, I am going to stay home and have a freezer meal for supper and bake some fun treats to stretch the food out for one more day. I realized that if I go to the store early it will be gone sooner also. It can get to be a vicious cycle after a while! Well, take care ladies, and enjoy the beautiful day!
Old 04-14-2005, 07:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We're having beautiful, warm, sunny weather here, but we do need rain! Hate to say it, but it's really dry here.

Medical bills: Our e.r. co-pay is $50 and we also pay 20% after a family deductible of $300. These are all increased fees for us, but sounds like its typical.

Ds2 is home today with hand, foot and mouth disease! It started with soreness from 6 yr. molars coming in, then progressed to what I thought were canker sores/fever blisters on his tongue and then yesterday sores erupted on his hands and his feet have some red spots too. Of course there's no treatment except ibuprofen for the pain. However--the phys. asst. that we saw at urgent care suggested mixing equal parts mylanta and liquid benadryl to gargle with. He said the benadryl has topical anesthetic properties and the mylanta reduces the acid. It seems to help with his mouth pain. I swear---sometimes I think those assts give better care than the real doctors!!!! Also had his ears checked, which we needed to do anyway after his last (4th) ear infection. So--it will probably be a kind of frugal trip since we killed 2 birds with one stone.

Put the leftover pork in the crock today to use for pork burritos/tacos for dinner. Also using bogo tomatoes and sour cream left from last food club I attended. Pretty frugal dinner.

Do need to run to the store today to pick up dhs monthly cholesterol meds and some popsicles for ds. Otherwise--no spending! Staying home and healing and hanging out some towels and sheets--not really warm enough yet to dry heavy jeans/sweatshirts.

Well--"brother bear" DVD will be over soon--and then we do some schoolwork, reading or a project of some sort. Hope to get outside this afternoon for some fresh air too. Might even try to get him to take a nap (!).

Have a great one today--rivermom
Old 04-14-2005, 08:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Today Thursday April14th,2005 Frugal Things:

Today Thursday April14th,2005 Frugal Things:
Daily Housecleaning Task.
Fixing Lunch/Fixing Dinner.
Homeschooled DD and will finish up in the afternoon.
Declutter.
No Money will be Spent Here Today.

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:07 AM

RobertaD

Good job on recycling all those leftover meals. Tonight for us will be vegetarian burgers (Boca flame broiled) along with french fries and cole slaw. I have to go to the store to get the slimfast I forgot this weekend and more regular coffee creamer, fingers crossed that’s all I come out of the store with.

Rivermom

Thanks for sharing the recipe for the hand, foot and mouth disease… that will be very helpful for any other members and I will be sure to pass it along to my friends who have kids.

JJOJ

Good job resisting temptation to shop when you really don’t need to. That saves you time, money and gas.

Dh was frugal this morning. he ran out of cigarettes and said he’d drive to the gas station at lunch to get some. I said “Why don’t you walk next door to the gas station here at home and get them”? which he did. So that saved some gas money. Our gas by our house has went down to $1.99 per gallon and of course, we have full tanks which we paid $2.17 per gallon for!
Well guess that’s about it for now. Oh btw, we’re having awesome beautiful weather here today too.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:58 PM

Good evening all!!

Just checking in to say, what a good job everyone did at being frugal today. That mylanta and benadryl is also what our pharmacyst had my sister mix for blisters on the inside of my nephew's mouth when he was little. He didn't have any of the other symptoms. We also were told to make sure to change is toothbrush as soon as we saw the blisters and again, as soon as they were gone so he didn't continue to re-infect himself.

Nothing new here - just carpooling, not frugal because i refuse to charge the woman who rides in with me (she and her husband are just emerging from bankruptcy and a period of unemployment for her husband). Taking in lunch is nothing new, I have been practicing this one for over 15 years. And tonight's dinner was left overs from earlier in the week.

Well ladies, it is bedtime, and I am the only secretary in the office for a couple of days, so I am really tired.

Take care all!! Sweet drems that come true. Norma

Closed Thread