Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:32 AM

Connie

I tried the Homemade Laundry Soap recipes but found washing in cold water it left little slivers of soap on some of my clothes. I used the FelsNapha recipe. My washing machine only has a cold water/rinse cycle or warm water/cold rinse cycle. I didn’t think it would matter when I bought it but now wish I’d bought one that had a hot water cycler on it. It’s a Kenmore and has held up really well as has the dryer so no hopes of getting a new one and right now with all the extra expenses this year, would not be a good time for it to bite the dust. Now my truck is needing brakes, Ugh! We have a while yet but they are starting to squeak.

Barbzy

Actually they are two separate shows but the Rascal Flats we will be able to hear as they are at the stadium. ZZ Top will be on the fairgrounds, dh wants to see them but I’m not so sure I want to stand in long lines to get in to see them in the heat. I’m with you on the thinking $1.98 is cheap for gas. I can remember complaining when it went to $1.68 a gallon. We have a lot of customers in the oil field industry… I told my boss we need to raise our prices too.

Leasmom

The Hilton is a big chain, we even have them here in Columbus… I would switch but still stay in school for the coding, that is where you are really going to make your money long term.

Emmalee

Do you have one of those Big Lots stores in your area? We got a complete front room set… couch, love seat, chair and ottoman for around $900 I think…maybe a little less? Really nice solid furniture.

Bluebird

I think ours is a similar rule on the height too, can’t remember. Those apartments I mentioned yesterday. My neighbor who lives in the house next door to it was sitting outside and thought it was a cat next to him, and looked over and it was a RAT!! Apparently one of the things the tenants had been doing before they moved was dumping cat litter on the grass in between his house and the apartments and rats will eat anything, including Kitty poo. Gross!!

Well better go for now… will talk with you all again this afternoon.

Anna
Old 04-12-2005, 08:34 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Frugal/unfrugal for me was waiting to fill the tank up in the van. It did go down by 5 cents till I got around to filling it. But, it cost me $43.51 just to fill up!!! That is at $2.15/gallon!! I will be just topping it off from now on, none of this waiting until I have to get gas!!

Not much frugal for today. I have a gyn appt this afternoon. I hate them. I will have to pay the co-pay. But, it will be much better than paying the full appt. price.

DH is home today. He just went for oil for the mowers. He will change the oil and than I guess after I get back today he will mow. He uses gas from his job for the mowers, and it didn't have gas on the company truck, so he was putting off mowing as long as he could. But, it is inevitable and he has to mow!

LisLynn, those were some good deals at the yard sales, good job!

Emmjean, when I had a dishwasher I did the same as Barb, just put det in one of the cups, and not fill it.

Not sure who it is that complained of a film on the inside of their washer thinking it may have come from the HM laundry detergent. I would have to disagree, mine has less of a film when I use the HM. It is funny because I just made a batch of HM last Friday, I used the HM Friday for two loads, Saturday for four loads, and monday for three loads. And when I looked inside the washer, I thought to myself, wow, that looks much cleaner, after using the hm detergent!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Assistant Moderator

Quote:
Not sure who it is that complained of a film on the inside of their washer thinking it may have come from the HM laundry detergent. I would have to disagree, mine has less of a film when I use the HM.
Ha! Then it IS my crappy washer. The laundry soap would have been cheaper to fix....... I have even tried washing in hot water.. still gunk in there. I can't afford a new washer right now.....
Old 04-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Connie, Do you have city water or a well or spring?

Hard water will keep your soap from dissolving sometimes.....or lime in the water will leave a white film on everything if it's bad enough..This would be very hard to get off...do you get a film in your pans when boiling water?
Just a thought ..hope you get it solved.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lee, well that was good thinking then to mix it with the powdered milk. I wonder why whole milk is so expensive? Sometimes things make no sense.
Barbszy, mmm, the rolls sound so good! That is one thing I really miss about Germany is the bakeries. They used to have these great rolls called broetchen-hard on the outside and soft in the middle. Of course, I cannot find them anywhere here. Well, I've just made myself hungry. lol Guess I'd better go eat some lunch. Take care!
Old 04-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Leighann

I didn’t realize you didn’t have a Meijers… WOW! I love that store although Walmart’s is now neck and neck with Meijers. Walmart’s has faster check out. Also I noticed at Walmarts a couple of items rang up wrong and they changed it to what I said with no questions asked, now that was impressive! We don’t drink milk in our household at all. I do use powdered milk to mix with dh’s powdered slimfast and I use it to make instant pudding mixes, anything that requires milk we use the powdered. It works well for us, don’t ever have to worry about it spoiling. I buy it at Aldi’s a huge box for I think $6.99? and it’s got the same equivalents as Whole Milk but is fat free. I always keep in the back of my mind too about what would happen if I couldn’t get to the store because of terrorism or power outages, etc. it’s a good staple to have in storage. When we were without power at Christmas I was still able to make dh’s shakes, mixed the powders and used a hand whisk to mix. Leighann, I say that every year about not hauling my yard sale stuff back in and then I end up doing it again, sigh! Just hard to let go of good stuff.

I am so impressed with all of you, you are so resourceful and have so much knowledge (ie: the slipcover issue). It’s so nice to know you can usually find a answer or solution to a problem within our group.

VickiLynn

I got a good chuckle out of your sheet ending in the neighbors soy field, thanks for sharing I can just see that happening, LOL!

Our frugal dinner tonight will be chicken breast pattie sandwiches bought at Aldi’s for $1.99 along with half a bag of frozen corn thawing in the frig. And cole slaw bought at GFS the Amish kind, a little pricey but more convenient than dh’s making a big batch and taking up space in my frig. Dessert will be the remaining half pound of strawberries I bought at Walmart this weekend served over a small wedge of angel food cake with a dallop of whipped topping.

CAGmomof2

Going to the doctor is frugal in and of itself. Take care of the little problems before they become major hospital bound problems.

Well guess that’s about it for now. Talk again later.

Anna
Old 04-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Gas: If it makes anyone feel any better--sounds like you all have it cheaper than us. It's 2.32/gal. down from 2.35.

Groceries: Bought the bulk of my items at Aldis today and got a cartful for $60 some odd. Got a couple of bogo items and some grass seed and painters tape too!

Lawns: It's so funny to hear you all talking about mowing already! Our lawn is just starting to get someone green in a couple areas. We need rain badly--it's been a dry Spring so far. But we don't want it Sat. since we have a crew coming over to put in a new picture window. Will be making pork sandwiches in the crock and wild rice soup also in the crock and maybe a salad and some brownies for that event. Fairly cheap meal for our willing friends.

Baking: Made some Adkins brand white bread in the machine--YUK!! Funny taste to it and weird texture. But it's going to be served with the chicken in the crock for supper tonight. Also made some Adkins blueberry muffins from mixes I got at Food Club. Those are much more edible than the bread.

Spring plants: Need to repot the impatiens I started from seed and I just don't have the motivation right now. Got 2 small primrose plants for $2 at the grocery store today. Not bad. I hope it's safe to plant them now.

Well--off to get some more done before kids come home from school. Just had to check in at FC!

rivermom
Old 04-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks everyone. Will try it out tomorrow. I already did the dishes for today.

Anna we do have a Big Lots but the don't have funiture. I looked when I got the new keyboard. We know what we want we just don't want to make payments. Lol.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Assistant Moderator

Our water is very hard. I have been putting a splash of vinager in the washer too...
Old 04-12-2005, 12:29 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Anna,
Yes my powdered milk is from Aldis! Nope have never had a Meijer, when dh had to go to Columbus, we did check out a Meijer. It was nice! Years ago we did have Krogers, no more though.
My sil just bought a nice looking leather chair and ottoman at Biglots for 300.00, of course dh had to pick it up for her. She is lucky to have him since she is always using our van for this and that. She has started to give gas money though!
Even though it is still chilly here low 50's and windy the kids well 3 of them wanted to play outside, so I let them thank goodness we have a fenced yard! They are all still sleeping something about fresh air. Of course even the 2 babies that didnt go outside are napping well today, dh is at a class so I am enjoying the quiet even though I should be doing the xtra cleaning. Oh well theres always tommorow. lol
Leighann

Closed Thread