Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > What Did You Do Frugal Today

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello everyone. Thank you for all the Birthday wishes. DH bought me 18 long stem roses. ALthough I loved them I was a little upset that he spent so much on me. And this is funny. When I told him so he smiled nd said I was very FRUGAL they were 50% off. He was so pleased with himself I couldn't be upset with him at all.

Well we had some not so good news from our builder. He fired the painters. The paint looks really good until you look down at the bootom near the floor. Where most of the paint just ran off the walls. In every room. So he is getting a new painter out to fix the mess the old painter made. He just doesn't know when the new painter can get out here. I still don't have a picture of the outside paint (done by different painters) The computer lost the driver for my camera so until I can find the silly disc I can't download from my camera.

Christmas shopping is almost done. I just need to get a few more things. And then I will be done. YEAH!!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:06 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

"buying club" today... for 10.00 I got 6 bunces of bananas, a bag of potatoes, a bag of onions, a case of individual milks,some yo j, lettuce, Bread, bagels, buns, etc, graham crackers,1/2 case of tomatoes,4 bags of cherry tomatoes, 12 cans of dip, some ground turkey,soy sauce, a case of dannon yogurt, sun flower seeds, and some packages of bread machine mix. Not as good as some other times, but still worth the drive, as 10.00 would not cover those items in the store.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:12 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Happy Belated Birthday Em! Sorry to hear of all the problems regarding your house.
Today we went to my uncles memorial service, put 200 miles on the car! It was a nice service and so wonderful to see cousins I literaly have not seen in years. I wish our family would get together more besides weddings and funerals.
Tommorow we are busy with 2 parties so tonight will finish dolling out my hot chocalate as thats what I am giving the hostess. I know the 11 yr old loves hot cocoa. I am also taking a peanut butter pie. I wanted to make a good dish but I guess they decided to "order out" so just desserts for me.
I guess our frugalness is not going out to buy stuff....
Have a good night !
Leighann
Old 12-18-2004, 01:44 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just found a nice size bag of almonds in my freezer does anyone know what i can make with them thats fast and easy and i can give as a gift????????PLEASE HELP ME

Old 12-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Got a HUGE amount of stuff from my freecycle pickup

So much that I will be donating the rest. It was about 8 or 9 garbage bags full. I got toys for dd and my niece, clothes for two nieces and dd out of it all. I went to the dollar store and got the peel-and-stick tile and tiled my entire laundry room, except what's underneath the washer/dryer and deep freezer. It looks good. And it didn't take long either. I love that stuff. I got a few extra stuff from the dollar store and came home.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Karen, how about some biscotti?? They are great with almonds in them. Otherwise, you could use a pack of chocolate chips, can of condensed milk, 2 tbl butter all melted and stir in some almonds (at least 2 cups) and have some nice candy.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by barbszy
Karen, how about some biscotti?? They are great with almonds in them. Otherwise, you could use a pack of chocolate chips, can of condensed milk, 2 tbl butter all melted and stir in some almonds (at least 2 cups) and have some nice candy.

Barb have never heard of biscotti? and on the candy do i just mix all ingrediants and then add almonds do i pour them on a cookie sheet or dip them in like piles???

Old 12-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Pour the candy into a 9X13 with wax paper. Cool in the fridge and then cut into squares. You could add other things if you have it, like coconut or marshmallows or whatever.

Biscotti are Italian cookies that are baked as a "loaf" and then sliced, turned on their side and toasted again. They are a hard cookie, meant to be dunked in coffee.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Went to the "Happy Birthday Jesus" party at church this morning. The kids played games, blew out candles on cupcakes, smashed a pig pinata (it was so hard the stick broke twice and the adults had to hit it after the stick broke), made two crafts, had a visit from Santa and brought home goodie bags.

Found out that my husband's Grandmother passed away this morning so we will be gone Monday & Tuesday for the visition and funeral Hope we can find a cheap hotel for Monday night if we can't stay with family.

Husband found out last night when he went to work in an email that as of midnight tonight (Saturday) we will not have our insurance but will be on a supplimental until the new company's insurance picks up all the people in the buy out. We don't have cards for the supplimental insurance... letter says "out of pocket" payments so I am guessing we have to pay for anything then get remibursed. I'll be postponing our dental cleanings that are in January until February when the new insurance is supposed to take effect.

Went grocery shopping this evening was able to get 5 jars of Ragu for $1.11 each, 2 bags of Hall's cough drops for $.54 each, XL eggs were $1 a dozen bought 3, 2 bags Simply Potates for $.50 each, Kahn's hotdogs 2/$3.29, 4 Hormal bacon $1.95 lb, frozen juice for $1.12 each. Bought a ham butt I don't know if it will be for Chirstmas or not but I'm covered if I need it.

I bought frozen rolls, pudding mix for a moke cinnabun recipe for Christmas morning and fixings for an egg/cheese, spinach, french bread casserole that sounded good.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:37 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Good late evening ladies

Just got home from our company Christmas party, better than most. Bonus checks were slightly bigger than last year... nice surprise. I wasn't counting on getting one at all so don't know what we'll do with the money. We are going Christmas shopping for the kids in the morning and doing our chores that didn't get done today. We went to our mall this morning to restock.. found every single one of my candles were sold. I had taken a box of this and that down to restock so just unloaded the whole box. These were all Christmas fragrances that I need to get rid of so they will hopefully sell out again. Lots of people down there shopping today.

Sueanne

Thanks for posting the link for Karen, that looks like a really easy recipe although Pecans in Ohio are very expensive this year. Made me mad the year we went to Georgia on vacation and wanted to buy Peaches and Pecans they had them jacked up higher than the rates in Ohio were for them shipped in from Ga. those vendors must've thought we were stupid although I would guess alot of tourist wouldn't know exactly what the cost on at home items were.

Well ladies, it's off to bed for me. Take care and will be back on tommorow.

Anna

Closed Thread