What Did You Do Frugal Today VIIII - Page 47 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:24 AM

Lee

I have the Tilia forget the number.. the expensive one that cost around $150.00 and I never use it but I paid so much money for it, that I keep hanging onto it in case I ever decide to use it. Ziploc has now come out with a new freezer bag that is double layered.. it was on sale at Krogers last week for $2.00 and there was a 75 cent off coupon on the box. Very nice.

I would look on ebay for one honestly they are not worth the money unless you are someone like Karen, Lori Mae or Linda Lou that does a lot of canning, freezing, etc. I so wish I could get more motivated to be like them!

Anna
Old 12-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Assistant Moderator

Thanks for the info on the swiffer vac! I did see two swiffers at Goodwill but they wanted $5.00 and they didn't have the bottle on them. Not frugal to me. Or anyone ele since they have been there for over two weeks.

Unfrugal today will be getting anitbiotic for ds 1. He is getting sicker and sicker. I was hoping for samples. It will only be $45 ...... if we had insurance on him it would have been $30. Not much of a savings.

Boy I think I am a grump today...... I can't get in a up mood at all.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:22 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Anna,
I do freeze a lot of stuff. Like to buy meat when there is a good sale. I had seen one on QVC for 57.00 but I dont think it included any attatchments.
Thanks for your thoughts.
As for the swiffer, I just bought a bunch of white rags from the auto department at Walmart just use foot and sometimes arm power. I have had those rags for along time now and still going strong.
Leighann
Old 12-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Lee, when you freeze stuff, how do you wrap it?

I find that double wrapping works best. Often I use butcher paper and then put the food in a ziplock bag. I can reuse the bags (washed) for more meat to freeze the next time, since they were the outer layer.

I am trying a new recipe for chocolate-covered cherry cookies. If they come out good I will freeze most of them for the cookie tray I'm bringing on Christmas Eve. I am going to try to bake several kinds, one kind at a time, so I don't do a baking marathon. Much as I'd love to do one of those my schedule just won't allow it.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:31 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb,
Yes I should start double wrapping and maybe buy the name brand bags....I just hate to throw stuff out! I bought the freezer containers for the spagetti sauce I make (Barbs) at least those have worked well.
Leighann
Old 12-15-2004, 12:42 PM

Leighann

The one on QVC must be a different brand... the Tilia Food Savers run around $100 to $150. Mine has the attachments but I've only used them once or twice, have no idea right now where they are, lol! I've also seen some used ones for a couple bucks at the thrift stores, wish I'd known you were looking for one. I also saw when I was a member of Frugal Living groups at yahoo where someone said you could use regular plastic bags, push the air out and wrap aluminum around the edges and iron it "sealed shut". Interesting idea, haven't tried it.

Anna
Old 12-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I don't throw away freezer burned meat, unless it is really bad. My mother told me to set a freezer burned meat in luke warm water for 15m minutes or so. That was in the days before marinade, lol. Now if I find a package with a bit of freezer burn I marinade it. A tasty marinade will cover any small loss of quality, and save you money. I do have a seal a mean, but don't use it, just too much trouble I guess. I use zip locks, mostly, and don't have a big problem with freezer burn.

Good luck!

Sarah

Honorary Members

Old 12-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Tomorrow is our Xmas party at work

I tried hard to be frugal. We have to bring food and a gift for one exchange. I may have already stated this but I had a coworker that loves frogs and chocolate so that's what I bought her...two beanie frogs for .99 cents each and a box of chocolates for $1.99. The bag was $1 to put her gifts in. I also had to bring something so I made peppermint bark, the almond bark was $1 and the peppermint was a $1. I also made candied walnuts, which wasn't cheap, it was $5.99 for the English walnuts, but I used some of them in my banana nut bread for Xmas morning as well. I also bought the cherry cordials on sale for $1.99. I have bought two serving trays shaped like Santa and a Snowman for .99 cents each as well that I am taking home after the party.

Well, I decided to mail my nieces their gifts since it may snow and we won't make it through the mountain for Xmas. My dd's in-home therapist said she could ship it off for me it was in her budget so that would save me a ton of money. I just have to buy the box for $1.59 at Walmart. I have to go get my car fixed...it will be about $45 to replace the brake pads and I had to call for Terminex to come out for the fleas. I have bombed several times, tried the boric acid and the spray and NOTHING is getting rid of them, so I have to call out the professionals. It's gonna cost me $150- and $80 every few months but the fleas will be completely gone and they will re-spray if needed and there's a warranty, so gonna do that Friday. I will have to be gone for 5 hrs and dd has practice for a play next week so I will try to go get her this one last gift and then take her to the movies so we can be gone for awhile. So, that's all for now. I have to finish getting my house together because my mom will be here from Detroit at 9 on Monday- and will be leaving the day after Xmas. And I have to finish the cookies this weekend and pickup a few Freecycle things. I can't wiat for the fleas to be gone though-that is worth whatever money, believe me!!!

Last edited by leasmom; 12-15-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I havn't been able to get online in a while. Move in date has been moved. It is now more tword the first of the year. The builder said they just couldn't get it done. I got mad I got sad I got over it. They painted the outside of the house. I think it is so pretty. As soon as the fog lifts I will take a picture of it to post. Fog is really bad right now. It hasn't lifted in three days. Looking forward to moving in though. Nothing frugal is going on here. I have to go to town to pick up some coffee. And some fruit for DD Christmas party. Tomorrow is thier last day of school until the new year. Even for DH. I am trying to get everything ready for Christmas. I still do not have all the decotartions out. I decided not to decorate the outside of this house. HAve a good day all.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:15 AM

Emmalee

I was wondering where you've been. Sorry to hear the house won't be ready for Christmas and sure don't blame you for not decorating the outside. We didn't this year either although dh is going to take my big wreath and hang it on the tree outside this weekend. I bought it for here at work years ago but no one really seemed to appreciate having it up anymore so I took it home.

Not much frugal to report... been working hard every night on candle orders, trying to get items made up for the mall this weekend, and getting Christmas gifts together and bagged for next week here at work. I'm giving out candles and Peppermint Foot Baths as office gifts. Still doing the cold water wash/ line dry inside the house.

We got our first heavy snow on Monday it's almost gone now.

Anna

Closed Thread