What Did You Do Frugal Today VIIII - Page 40 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Boggsz: We have a yellow lab that we keep inside. As a puppy, we crate trained her, and I HIGHLY recommend that method. She loves her crate, even to this day, and that is where she beds down at night, voluntarily.

Sarah

Honorary Members

Old 12-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well, I had forgotten that I had set up an appt

for the cable company to come tomorrow and to put a cable line in dd's room. So, I only had a tiny little t.v big enough for her in my living room and so I went to the bank and got some money out and went to the pawn shop. There was this man that gave dd a gift for her birthday and then wanted me to tell everyone he knew that he had given her a gift, well he was there and he talked to the shop owners and gave a $10 off discount. So, the 20 inch t.v. was originally $60 but I got it for $50 w/ remote and in today's paper was a 19 inch t.v. w/ remote for $88. So that was good. It's huge and I have to adjust to seeing t.v. on a bigger t.v. again-LOL! So, I'm in time for dd's t.v. to get hooked up tomorrow.

So, then I went to walmart and got all of my baking supplies so I'm ready to make cookies either tomorrow or Sunday for Xmas. We also got a dvd, it was Benji's First Xmas-(GOODNESS)-but dd wanted it and so we got it for $5.50.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here I am racking my brain trying to figure out how I'm going to get some extra stocking presents (we do the grown ups in my family-mom & dad are the hardest) when I found my stash of stuff I'd gotten months ago We have an nut/candy manufacturer outlet store close by that has 2 clearance sales a year. Stocked up on choc covered peanuts and stuff like that. In a glass sealed jar so they are still fresh.

Ericka, I can empathize with you re: the funeral. Baby ones are the hardest (not that any are easy). We have good friends that had twins 4 yrs ago and one didn't make it.-that was the hardest thing I've ever had to go through. I think about her every day, our kids are the same age.

Dh is going Christmas and bday shopping for me tomorrow then taking the girls to mil's house--it'll be like a free day for me. Maybe I'll take a nap while they're out

**A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands**
Old 12-11-2004, 02:28 AM

LJs Mom

Taking a nap? I am always up for taking a nap. My whole family used to nap on Sunday afternoons inbetween church services. It was a rule.

Now, if I can get a nap once every two-three weekends, I am doing well.

But I can get the cat settled down on those weekends, by taking him into the bedroom and both of us lying down. Then I stroke his back until he calms down enough to go to sleep. I used to do that with my nephew when he was a baby-toddler too. I have to laugh when I think that it works for animals too.

---------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the crochet pattern. I am not the person who asked for the pattern though.

I like to create my own. Some I use from books, like a 48 - flag afghan that I made for sale right after 9/11. I sold 2, both at our local hometown celebration. My sister's neighbor was auctioning off a bench for the local Education Foundation, and needed something to draw attention to it. Knowing I had these afghans, she asked if I would let her display it on the bench. Could I say no? We pinned my business card on it, and I got a call, then another one. So of course, I made the Education Foundation an afghan to auction off the following year as a thank you.

But mostly, I have some great Workbaskets and other pattern books from the30's and 40's. The patterns are out of copyright, and the yarns and hooks no longer exist from that time. So I will use the hook/yarn closest to what was then, and actually do one. If the size, or thickness of the yarn is not right, I will then re-do the pattern using whatever is not correct, write out the pattern and then claim it as my own.

I sell through the book, "Free Things for Everyone", asking only a sase and $1.00 toward copying and handling. That is acceptable for their standards, and easy for me to manage. Also, people who have picked up the pattern, have told their friends online and my name, address, and costs have gone out. I get requests mostly for my signature pattern - a take on the famous rag dolls (Ann and Andy), from all over the world, literally. My longest request came from Australia. I don't make as much as you might think, just a couple hundred a year, but it all goes into a special savings account that I contribute any extra nickle or dime to. And a lot of people don't include the sase or the dollar, but I send them the pattern anyway. It makes good busienss sense.

I also make a great granny square stocking my mother used to make. She could only read patterns, but I have never come across any of her pattern books that included that pattern. Obviously the hardest part of that is sewing it together. You can come up with some strange looking things, if it is not quite right.

My hats that I make for the school kids are just rectangles, made with the single in the back loop stitch, sewn up the back seam and then gathered on top. I refuse to do tassles or pompoms as I am always afraid that some child will get it in their mouth and choke. I try to be responsible that way.

Well, ladies, I have to go for now. I am taking my car to the dealership for an oil change this morning. And I will hit Walgreens for any Free After Rebate items they have for the month. We don't have one around here and the dealership is about 45 minutes from here. Also, I will going to the town next to that one to their local market. It is my understanding that they have Huggies Pull-Ups trial size packs (4 per pack). I have coupons that will make that purchase free, so I will stock up. I will put them away in the garage for the next yard sale in town (May, I believe). The coupons expire the end of this month and I can't find them anywhere around here.

Take care all!!! Norma
Old 12-11-2004, 03:49 AM

Boggz

That is a cute puppy. What happened to the pugg?

Well this morning dh is working overtime so I'm enjoying some quiet time at home, when he gets home he'll have lunch then take his mother to the cemetary to put a grave blanket on his Dad's grave so more quiet time for me. I took her grocery shopping last night.

We heard on the news this morning our truck is definitely being recalled and starting next month they will repair them for free... that is good but there's 600,000 of them out there so it will probably take a long time to get it done, which is darn scary knowing anytime we're driving theres the possibility of the tire flying off! No choice though as it's now our only transportation. Dh is calling today to get the appointment set up.

Well I'm off to make candles and vacuum and all that other fun stuff.

Have a great day ladies.

Oh Crochet2

sorry can't remember now who requested the info. I don't follow patterns either just get ideas on how to do it myself by looking at them.

Anna
Old 12-11-2004, 04:32 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

anna, a friend of mine has her she is really old and she just couldnt handle all the comotion around her she likes it quit

Old 12-11-2004, 08:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

not much frugal going on today. joes at my bil working on our suv. so i guess thats frugal. i also plan on putting up another 5 or 6 auctions on ebay assome of the ones i have up now, are over today. so far in the last 2 weeks ive made about 150 so thats a big help too. if i can just keep selling good items and making a bit of money, ill be happy.

other than that..cleaning, and looking for more things to sell is all i have on my list for the day.

have a good day
ericka

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/
Old 12-11-2004, 08:58 AM
Nine Year Member

I had some milk go sour so I made my Grandma's coffee cake recipe, made a double batch since I had about 5 cups soured put some in the freezer.

Ran to Krogers since I didn't have shortening and enough butter for the coffee cake and I picked up some sugar since it was on sale for 4lb $.99 will put them in the freezer to keep since I already have 3 bags in the cupboards. I also picked up 2 Sara Lee pies paid $2 each for the freezer and 2 Phillsbury brownie mixes and 2 icings which were $1 a piece after sale & coupons.

Re-arranged the living room so we can put up the tree this weekend, didn't last weekend because of getting the new dog.

I have Avon orders to bag up this afternoon to get ready for next week.

Roberta
Old 12-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

OSI, whats a grave blanket? I've never heard of one before.

**A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands**
Old 12-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Grave blankets are made of evergreen branches, often with other embellishments on them. They are laid in front of a gravestone. A lot of newer cemeteries don't allow them anymore. Wonder if it's a regional thing? Here in NJ and in eastern PA they are very common to see.

Closed Thread