What Did You Do Frugal Today VIIII - Page 18 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

On the boric acid, try your hardware store. It will be the same as the pet store (99.1% boric acid and the rest inert ingredients to prevent caking or something like that) but at least in my neck of the woods, it is much cheaper.

Sarah

Honorary Members

Old 11-30-2004, 02:38 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: Boric ACID

Quote:
Originally posted by leasmom
Good ideal. All of the ideals were good and I have tried a few of them and will try more on payday. I hope I can find some boric acid cheaply, sometimes they cost as much as the sprays. Thanks.

Oh, went to the Bent and Dent store and picked up some stuff for dd's lunches until payday. I got 3 little containers of apple sauce and 2 sodas for her each were .15 cents, I got some lemon granola bars for .75 cents and some low carb granola bars for me for $1.25. It all came to $2-something. So now dd has lunch until payday and I have a snack to tied me over until I can get home and cook a good meal.

Leasmom i bought boric acid at the dollar store see if your dollar store has it.

Old 11-30-2004, 04:22 AM

Post BORIC ACID

Read the label on the boric acid... it is very harmful if not fatal for pets and children. I don't mean to sound critical, we use this to kill and eliminate waterbugs and it warns to keep this out of contact with pets and children, this is very serious stuff.

Anna
Old 11-30-2004, 04:35 AM

Boric Acid

I just did a quick search on the net and it seems there are varying opinions on whether it's safe or not. I know mine ( Lowes Hardware) purchase warns strongly against this but it may be because it has other chemicals added to it? I know I haven't seen a waterbug in over a year or silverfish in my house. I would definitely encourage reading the warning label on it though.

It also shows Borax as being the same thing as Boric Acid, that I didn't know. I use Borax in my bath salts and no harm has come to skin contact but it also warns about contact with pets. I use it to vacuum my carpet and I always make sure to get it all up (same recipe as the bath salts).

As a avid pet lover, I would never want to see a pet suffer from ingesting something that could be painful or fatal as I'm sure you would all agree.

Anna
Old 11-30-2004, 04:39 AM

Sueanne

Thank you so much for posting those links, it was enjoyable seeing what they created... of course, I would never dream of paying that much for a blanket but there are people out there who have the mentality if it doesn't cost a fortune it isn't worth having.

Lori Mae

Windi is a long hair dachshund. Poor little thing, she has curly hair and it gets knotted behind her ears all the time, not pleasant for me or her to get the tangles out.

Anna
Old 11-30-2004, 05:02 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Dh did some research on the net last night regarding the dryer. Ended up ordering a new belt and some other little piece it said to replace at the same time. Total was 29.74, he at first was just going to have someone come look at it but it was 59.99 for them to walk in! Decided to give the old college try and fix himself. Downside is that it can take 4 to 7 business days to receive....So in the mean time will be hanging everything to dry.
Josh got his first actual tooth yesterday,(I see the white for a few, but not broke through) there goes my sweet toothless baby waa waa, growing so fast.
Leighann
Old 11-30-2004, 06:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow those blanket sure are pricey. Pretty but gosh the price. I wonder how they are put together.

Unfrugal, had to take the cat to the vet. Gross but he will be fine. It was 40.00 though. DD was crying the entire time thinking she was going to lose her kitty. Kitty the cat weighs 20lb. But he is still her kitty. She can't even pick him up.

The cabinets were delivered to the new house yesterday. I keep hoping the really start getting it finish, tomorow is the first and that is usually when the Christmas tree goes up. I am holding off putting up though.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:38 AM

Emmalee

The wheels of progress turn so slowly, don't they? I remember how long it took when my sister had her house built and the little quirks like putting the dryer vent hole in the wrong wall, oops!

Anna
Old 11-30-2004, 09:10 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Very frugal dinner tonight we are having the pork roast a friend gave us, potatoes out of the garden and corn that my brother gave us and we cut off the cob and froze. The only thing that will cost any thing is the salad. I still have cake left over from Thanksgiving so we will have that and applesauce that I got for 50 cents using a coupon. Price of supper will be about $2 for a family of five wish all meals were that cheap!! take care

Rosey
Old 11-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Boric acid is toxic as is ALL flea and tick stuff, or else it wouldn't kill the fleas, right? The key is to sprinkle it liberally on the carpeted areas of your home then rub it in HARD so you don't see that it is there anymore. It is a natural item (I mean it occurs in nature) so it is not a chemical with unknown consequences. Wait a week before you vacumn again. I also sprinkle it between the box spring and matress on our beds and underneath the cushions on the couch. Again, I rub it in hard. You don't want to eat it, and you don't want your pets to eat it, but applying it in this manner is safe and effective against fleas. Other flea ideas, cedar in the pets bedding (it doesn't kill the fleas but will repel them-they don't like the oil) or citrus based oils and sprays, again it doesn't kill them but will repel.

I have a three year old daughter and have had cats all my life and a yellow lab for the last two years. We do not use anything else, such as Advantage or Frontline, and we never have fleas.

I wish you luck!

Sarah

Honorary Members

Closed Thread