Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-24-2004, 04:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks!!!

Thank You so Much-I know these will be helpful! I have got to become better about using coupons!
Old 08-28-2004, 11:11 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

By all means ladies walk yourselves to the library. I use ours regularly and it is a great place. Talk about frugal. That is the place. I must admit I would like to be more frugal at least when it comes to coupons. If I am at a store and want something I carry it around with me for a few minutes and that seems to help me decide if I really "want" it. I find most of the time I put it back on the shelf. And of course it depends on what it is, within my limits. I guess in that way I am pretty frugal. If I can live without it, it stays where it is. Also, does your community have a local clothing bank. Ours does. The clothes are donated by the community and it is all free. Ever tried the thrift stores for good used clothes. A dollar isnt a bad price for a good pair of pants.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Coupons will help, but not all that much. Frugal living involves all areas of our lives, not just the grocery store. But, for the coupons, keep them in a file box, by category and then by date. When you sit down to make out your menus for the next week, and then your grocery list...and of course you're doing it from the sales papers from the grocery stores, right?...go thru the coupon box as you add each item to the list. The ones that you have coupons for, put a star beside, as well as the exact size the coupon calls for. Even with coupons, tho, before you put the product in the cart, check out all the other brands...maybe one of those is a better buy than the one on the coupon. Store brands are usually substantially cheaper, and almost always as good as, if not better than, the national name brand.

Learn to use a crock-pot...there's thread here on familycorner about crock cooking, I think. If not, do a google search for it. Using the crock, you can buy cheaper and tougher cuts of meat, because the long cooking time in the crock will tenderize them.

Plan your meals in such a way that you can utilize the leftovers for another meal. Look into once-a-month-cooking. I've not had a lot of success with it, but other people swear by it. Worth a shot.

Start looking at things with an eye to getting more than one use out of them...even little stuff, like washing and then re-using aluminum foil and saran wrap. Anything. Old t-shirts make great cleaning rags, and also save on paper towels. Old cotton dresses, blouses, and men's shirts can be cut into large squares, fringed, and used as cloth napkins...much cheaper than either paper towels or paper napkins. The only time I would ever even consider using paper napkins is at Christmas time...and then I'd probably use plain white paper towels instead, lol. Old towels can be cut down to be used as dishtowels which can later be cut down to be used as dishwashing rags.

Do you have a Dollar Tree in your area? Not a Family Dollar or Dollar General, but an everything-for-a-dollar store. Familiarize yourself with it...you will be amazed at what you can buy there for a dollar that you are probably spending more for elsewhere: school supplies, vitamins, aluminum foil, saran wrap, toothpaste, bath soap, trash bags, candles, light bulbs, cosmetics, some craft supplies, party goods, toys, books, and our Dollar Tree even sells a few groceries!!! Check it out. Also see if you can find an Aldi's or Food Depot near you, for groceries. I spent $50 at aldi's three weeks ago, and have fed the two of us, with still four more meals left.

Check out the other frugal threads here, as well as the What's for Dinner thread...lots of good ideas and money=saving tips on them.

Turn out the lights...turn off the TV...when they're not being used. And your library should also have movies to take out, for free, too.

Yard sales...thrift shops...look for these places.

Good luck to you.

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 08-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

im where sarah is at , i need to start using coupons badly!!!!!!!!!!!!!! especiallly with 3 kids being frugal is what i need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Old 08-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

You sometimes being frugal is a lot more than just using coupons. And sometimes coupons arent what theyre cracked up to be. If you are buying stuff that you dont normally use just because you have a coupon isnt a savings.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

you all call it being fugal? not me I am one of the biggest cheepskate of all times. And most people don't even realize i am. coupons are great but it is work to make them work for you. I am a mother of 4 grandmother of 4 and I need all the help i can get to feed and cloth and christmas shop for everyone.

I use my computer to find coupons that i can use and print out then go to store on double day. i usually save anywhere from 50.00-75.00 per trip. that really adds up.

also with meat dept. i get the meet that is reduced that saves about .50 per pound and its still good meat. just needs to be used sooner than other meat by a day or two.

christmas is coming and some great gifts are free samples you get on=line. get a basket from local thrift store and place ribbon or bows (also can get at thrift store) fill the basket with all the free samples you have been sent through the mail/computer freebies site. The freebies should represent the person you are giving to. wrap in colored cleared paper place bow and tag on and the person receiving really thinks you really worked hard.

also homemade gifts are the best to receive, and you will be surprized what is around the house that can be recycled there is alot of groups or clubs on-line that can show you little things to make that make GREAT gifts. for pennies on a dallor good luck

and i bet you have fun at it too.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have been doing this kind of stuff for over 7 yrs, since I quit work to stay home with my 6 children.

On Wed., when I receive my sales papers for the grocery stores, I sit down and figure out what I need, write it down on an old, used envelope, find my coupons that go with the sales or for things I need & insert them into the envelope. I just place that into my purse/wallet instead of a big coupon wallet. That way I won't forget it.

I also shop the $ stores, but be careful. Some things are cheaper at Wal-mart or Big Lots.

Buy in bulk when you can. Right before school started, I found glue, 24 ct. crayons and notebooks for 10 & 20 cents each. I bought enough of them to last my 5 remaining kids at home the entire school year. I also buy presents on clearance sale when I can...I put a few aside some of them for children's birthday party presents.

Buy on ebay for video games (and I'm sure some other things as well). BUT BE CAREFUL. Consider the shipping charges when deciding to bid and set yourself a limit and stick to it.

Shop at thrift stores for clothing, books and household items.

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

i agree with jb829. coupons do help and there are sites on here to print them off too . but i have found that a lot of time comparing brands and sizes produse cheaper prices. a good list is vital and stick very close to budget. only take as much as your list alows to spend when goin in the grocery store so to discourage picking up extras. i find lists my most vital tool i too recycle i hate throwing away glass jars and botles and being a little crafty i have decided to frost and paint them and make vases and gifts wwith them and sell somne for extra money too. there are lots af great ideas and your family corner sisters all come up with very good stuff i learn so much from here!!
Old 08-29-2004, 05:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi friends!

Being frugal takes time. You end up doing stuff that takes more time because you are trying to save money on the "timesaver" that costs more.

Now, does spending more time actually save you money? If you are a SAHM, it does. However, if you work outside, it may not! Even if you are a WAHM, the money you would earn in the time you have to spend to save money may make the more expensive timesaver "worth it." We each have to look at all these things.

Now, keeping a "If I can live without it I don't need it" attitude will help. Buying cheaper cuts of meat and cooking in a crockpot will help. No matter what your lifestyle. So will turning off all appliances and lights. BTW, a tv, even the "big" ones, uses less electricity than a 60 watt bulb. We leave the TV on all the time during the day - even when we are away - so someone coming to the door will think someone is home and just can't get to the door. Cheap when compared to a full-blown alarm system.

Compare prices. BUT ... getting the cheaper store brand may not save money if your family hates it! I find that I use many more of the "store brand" paper towels than I do of the more expensive brand I prefer. The amount of stuff they absorb and how long they last when scrubbing something up - there is just no comparison. So for me, getting the more expensive brand paper towels in the big, price saver pack is actually less expensive.

Plan your meals ahead and shop from a list. BUT - don't get "bound" by the list. If there is a real pricecutter sale on something, and you *know* it is something you will use, then go ahead and shop "off list" at least for that item.

Consider places like Costco and Sam's Club. The WalMart Super Stores have good food specials, too. Aldi's can be good if you like their brand. My DH won't eat most of the store brands - he can taste the difference, no matter what I do to them - so I don't get them.

Coupons will help if you are really "into" couponing. I decided years ago that the time it would take me to organize, list, keep track of, etc., all the coupons just wasn't worth the few cents it saved me at the checkout counter. I was also tempted to get things we didn't need and didn't use just because I had a coupon for it!

Refunding is where the money savings really is. But that requires much space and much organizational skill along with much time to actually do it. These are the people who go in and get 5 baskets of food and pay about $35 at checkout. I just can't do it.

Where do you have the biggest output? Food? Clothing? Incidentals? Utilities? Rent/Mortgage?

For the next month, carry a little notepad around with you and write down everything you spend - even the 35cents you give the kids for gum. Just function normally for this month. Be sure to put down the day and date (Tuesday Sept 7th, Wed Sept 8th, etc). Write down every grocery item and it's cost. Write down the taxes you paid as a separate item. Write down every trip you make.

Then sit down and go over the list. Group things. Now, can you save money by consolidating trips - through better planning for things like taking kids to soccer and picking up milk on the way home? (Just an example.) How much do you spend renting movies? Would you save more by getting satellite and recording the movies you want to see? We recorded lots of movies on cable and satellite and still re-view them. We never spend money on renting movies anymore.

Saving and true frugality requires a degree of organization that may be new to you.

Another example: bars of bath soap. When you are down to a sliver, get out the new bar, soak both the sliver and the new bar in water for about 5 minutes, then "mash" them together. You will use ALL the sliver instead of tossing it out. Another use for that sliver is to melt it in "enough" water and putting the liquid into a pump bottle for hand washing.

Save water by only doing a full dishwasher load of dishes or a full washer load of clothes at a time.

Bath towels do NOT have to be washed each time they are used. In my childhood, my grandmother had us use our towels for a full 7 days before they were washed. Unless you have a real mildew problem, this is just fine.

Same with sheets. There is nothing "magic" about 4 days or 10 days. If your kids wear pajamas, wash the pajamas every 3 or 4 days, but leave the sheets for 7 to 14 days between washes. Unless there is an "accident" there is no problem with this.

There are just so many ways to save money, but you need to find the ways that will work best for you and your lifestyle. Frugality does not necessarily mean changing your entire lifestyle - although in some cases it might.

Check out the greatest tightwad of all times: Clark Howard

He has ways to save in every area of your life!

Happy Frugalling!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 08-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

frugal

Thanks Susanne for asking that question my husband is the same way and we want to get a house so I maybe checking those book out too! Thank to all the other the help I love couples but forget them too!