Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-23-2002, 07:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Children in plus sizes Help

Hi I just spent 4 hours at the mall trying to find a dress for my 9 & 1/2 year old daughter. we have a wedding next week and I am really having a hard time getting her a dress and of course everyday clothes to wear. Does anyone have any suggestions. Please help if you do. I had to go to a store that carries big clothes for adults. I usually shop in sears and they sell plus sizes but they only have a small amount to chose from. thanks Millie
Old 08-25-2002, 09:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
What size does she wear now ? Have you tried places like Fashion Bug or the Deb Shop ? They cater toward teenagers but you might be able to find something that is not too risky for her age. JC Penneys might have something too.

I was the same way when I was her age. I remember always wearing clothes that didnt fit me the right way.

Sending good thoughts your way and hoping that you find something to make her happy.

Tami
Old 08-26-2002, 03:44 AM
Nine Year Member

There is also a catalog called Girlfriends. They have some nice plus size clothes for young girls. I'm not sure what the plus sizes start out at, but you can give it a try. They have a website and you can order online.

I think JC penney has a decent plus size section as well.

Good Luck!!!

Lauri
Old 08-26-2002, 04:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Millie, I have the same situation with my dd and my best bets are JC Penney and Hamrick's. I don't know where you are, but Hamrick's is in the South. They carry a very nice line of dresses - Ruth of Carolina and many of them are extraordinarily fancy. Suitable for special occasions and church.

Good Luck.

Btw, have you tried the regular size in ladies? My dd is almost 8, but she is 100 pounds and 5 feet tall. So, I have been buying her medium and large sizes in the ladies dept. They fit really well and I just stay away from pleats and V-neck tops.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:36 AM

Also, check out the ladies petite sizes. The clothes aren't as sleezy as in the junior's department.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

children in plus sizes help

Hi everybody who responded to my thread. I just want to say thank you. I went shopping today and in walmart I bought my dd 3 pairs of jeans in jrs. and all of them were low cut and I wasn't happy with them but i bought them anyway. She is growing more everyday and I was just fustrated so i gave in. Now I will probably kick myself In the long run. I figured as long as she wears regular t-shirts no one will know. I will also look into the other idea's from all of you. Thanks again Millie
Old 09-02-2002, 12:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Plus Sizes

Hi Millie,
My d has the same problems, I dont know if you have a Cato's or Its Fashion near you, but she buys most of her clothes there..someone has finally figured that full figured people need clothes too...One thing about these two stores they have larger teens clothing and its with the styles..
Good luck..hope this will help a little..
Georgia...
Old 09-02-2002, 12:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Plus Sizes

Hi Millie,
My d has the same problems, I dont know if you have a Cato's or Its Fashion near you, but she buys most of her clothes there..someone has finally figured that full figured people need clothes too...One thing about these two stores they have larger teens clothing and its with the styles..
Good luck..hope this will help a little..
Georgia...
Old 09-02-2002, 01:41 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Children In Plus Sizes

HI ALL, I JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR IDEA'S. I WENT TO SEARS TODAY AND THEY HAD A GREAT SALE. I ACTUALLY BOUGHT MY DAUGHTER ABOUT 5 TOPS AND 3 PAIRS OF JEANS. I GUESS I JUST HAD TO WAIT UNTIL THEY GOT IN FALL CLOTHING. I ALSO BOUGHT HER A SWEATSUIT. THE BEST THING WAS IT ONLY COST ME $127.00 FOR EVERYTHING. THANKS AGAIN MILLIE
Old 09-02-2002, 07:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Although I know you don't have time to do this for the wedding, look in both the JC Penney & Sears catalogs. When my daughter was younger, both catalogs carried the latest fashions in girls plus sizes. It might help you for every day clothing or for a future special occasion,