Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-03-2002, 04:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've always been 'full-figured' and have shopped at Fashion Bug since my teens. Clothing is reasonably priced, always in style, and there's always a great selection for the bigger girls. Do you have a Ross store near you, or is that just a Florida thing? Good luck!
Old 09-05-2002, 09:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

~danstigerangel~

I'd like to know about that Girlfriend's catalogue...

The JC Penny near us had nearly nothing...but the Sears is OK. Not much in the way of "nice" pants. Things are mostly play clothes and polyester. When you are a chubby 3rd grade girl, "cool" clothes can make the difference between being accepted and rejected, unfortunately.

Rainquilts..I like the petites suggestion..I have a slim, georgeous 12 year old that's in between child size 16 ( too baggy at the waist) and junior size 3 ( too full at the thigh)
...I never thought to head over to misses petites! She's so short, I always hve to cut a foot off the jeans in the juniors department, and then "they don't flare anymore!!!:mad: " I bet Petite pants would be better for her.

Anyway Millie thanks for the post!

Old 09-07-2002, 07:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I look for elastic at the waist. I bought sweat suits in XL 14-16, a cute velour w/ sparkly metallic trim at Target & Walmart. For jeans, we ended up in the boys dept. 12 1/2 fits perfectly. They aren't flared, but carpenter jeans and cargo pants are the same. She picked out really girly T shirts to mix and match.

For dresses I look for ties in the back. They are usually cut wider, and tie for a perfect fit. She wears jr med or women sm.

A friend told me how to shorten flared jeans, that keeps the flare and any decoration, shorten at the knee. Flip the bottom up at the knee (like a huge cuff) mark 1/2 the lenght you need to shorten, sew on that line. We got size 16 flares with flowers embroidered on the bottom, after shortening, they fit perfectly and she felt really cool in her flares.
Old 09-07-2002, 07:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question ~kmart~

Wouldn't that method of hemming the pants leave a visable seam around the knee of the jean? I have a feeling that after all that hadr work, my daughter would still refuse to wear them on the basis of them no longer being "cool' enough. and "ruined" :mad: She is not esay.:mad: :mad:
Old 09-07-2002, 09:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

children in plus sizes

Hi lifestar that is areally good question i hope that someone can answer that for us.

Millie
Old 09-16-2002, 03:24 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lifestar, I can relate. My DD (12 yo now) was quite chubby and we have worked hard the last 5 years to change the situation. I found most of her clothes at Sears and Penneys. If you aren't finding much in the stores, you can always check online or in catalogs. The addy for Girlfriends LA is http://www.girlfriendsla.com/?j~&
I never actually ordered anything from them but they did offer some plus sized clothes for girls and teens. Once she got out of the girls plus, we also tried misses petites and junior sizes. There are a couple of junior brands that offer jeans in short, average and long lengths. I've found Mudd and L.E.I. for DD in the short length so you might want to try those.

The biggest thing we've done is worked with DD on her eating habits. This is in her long term best interest. I had to become the food police but it helped. Most of the books I've read say that you can't put a child on a diet. But you can make sure they are eating healthily and not getting too many calories. In my DD's case, I have had to limit her to one glass of juice per day. She can have milk at meals but must drink water the rest of the time. She simply can not handle the additional calories of 2 or three glasses or boxes of juice each day. I've also gone over the Food Guide Pyramid with her so she understands what she should be eating. We did not make big changes or starve her but we made little changes over a long period of time.

The other thing we did was to up her physical activity level. She has played on a rec soccer team each Spring and Fall. In the summer, I make the effort to take her to the pool several times a week. She also plays tennis and rides bikes with her friends. This is a gradual process but over the course of a few years, our daughter has slimmed down. Kids have the advantage that they're still growing. If you can keep their weight from going up, they will naturally thin out. My DD still has a little more tummy than I'd like her to have but clothes shopping is so much easier. And she is more confident in her appearance.

Make the committment to this now- your daughter is not going to be happy if she's an overweight teen. The kids in Middle School can be really cruel and appearance is so important. If you get started with an exercise/healthy eating program now, your DD will have an easier time of it. Sorry, don't mean to go on and on or lecture. It's just that I know how heartbreaking this situation can be. Good luck to you and your DD.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hemming flares

Hi, sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner!

Hemming flares at the knee does leave a visible line, but some of the flares are pieced at the knee, so as long as the seam is at or below the knee it looks ok. Obviously it has to be sewn neatly and pressed to look professional. I've only done it to pants that have decoration at the bottom. My dd had no hesitation about wearing them. She was thrilled! She finally had flared jeans like all of her friends!