Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-18-2002, 01:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Overweight. Diet or Not

Hi i'm new to the group and i live in England, I have a daughter and she is 4 1/2 going on 40 I am wondering if there is any other parents who is having to deal with this problem. My little girl is quiet big, she take 6 year old clothing and while i think she is beautiful other people, namely family members and friends are starting to make comments about her size. Some people just point out that she big for her age but others are actively telling me to diet her. While i don't mind other people advise some of these comments are being made in front of her and i am beginnning to worry about her selfestim. I am finding the whole thing is getting me down and i certainly do not want to give my 4 year an eating disorder HELP.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:36 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Carrie

There is a great article on this site that deals with this situation. It's called:

Helping the Overweight Child
http://www.thefamilycorner.com/paren...erweight.shtml

There's also this article on exercise:

5 Exercises Kids Should Never Do
http://www.thefamilycorner.com/paren...exercise.shtml

These articles on the Doctor George site may be helpful as well!

Mealtime Blues
http://www.doctorgeorge.com/article.php?sid=37

When fat isn't cute anymore
http://www.doctorgeorge.com/article.php?sid=713

Will you be forever called “baby fat”?
http://www.doctorgeorge.com/article.php?sid=717

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 05-08-2002, 05:59 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Overweight kids

There's a good article entitled When Fat Isn't Cute Anymore here http://www.thefamilycorner.com/paren...snt_cute.shtml

I don't have this problem with my kids (yet), but I thought it was good reading!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 07-10-2002, 12:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing

You're right, that was a good article. We've recently been dealing with the whole weight issue here. My 9.5 yr old daughter has been getting a little chubby, and I DON'T want her to have to deal with weight issues her entire life. I've dealt (and am still dealing with enough myself). Both of our children also have ADHD, so we've gone to cutting as many refined sugars, fats, dyes, additives, etc. out of our diets. It seams to be really helping with the ADHD, and I'm sure it won't be long before we see a reduction in clothing sizes too. Last week, we went to a family reunion, and I met one of dh's cousins. She's very large, and I was so saddened to see that both of her children are my weight or larger (they were 7 and 9). It almost made me cry to see two very young children that had to be over 200 pounds each.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
I was an overweight child and I was put on so many diets growing up. Personally I do not think putting a child on a strict diet is a good thing. When I was in school and had Hot lunches , the cooks were always pulling my tray away from me and saying "YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT". That was so embarrassing for me and I would have to stand to one side while all the other kids got their meals. I was usually the last to be served. A diet can be a good thing too, if it's done right. Having fresh fruits ,veggies available and these pkgs. of crackers cookies chips, that are all counted out for 100 calories I think is a great thing for a child. Just, please take it from one that has been there and still has a weight problem. Don't push to much because in the long run , the child will usually work things out in there own way as they get older. If it's a health issue then that is another story all together, then you have to do whatever needs to be done.But, usually by the time your a teen , you care about your looks more and the weight will come off. Also, with the proper exersize sometimes it just takes having a parent that cares enough to go for a walk, run or what ever with the child,I know I was one of them. Good luck and this is just my thinking because if I had been left to do it on my own when I was ready I might not be over with today.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I don't know if I still have them in my albums or not, but I was a very pudgy child off and on since age 4 months. I say off and on, because I showed fat in some pictures and then the next year or so I looked thin, I never changed my activities, nor did my family change our eating habits, and yes I did suffer from allot of allergies and colds. However, our pediatrician never once suggested nor told my parents to put me on a diet, or exercise more. If your child is getting at least 8 hours of sleep every night, is on a regular schedule of eating three normal meals and 2 snacks a day at about the same time, drinks more water based fluids than sodas/pops/ colas then I wouldn't fret about what your family and friends say about her weight. If your Pediatrician hasn't talked with you about the possibility of health issues, wait it out. She may be one of those children who is pudgy / over weight now, but will skinny out as growth spurts occur. Every child does develop differently and at their own genetic pace. Listen to your maternal instincts... and keep communications open with your child's doctor. For those who keep taunting you over it, be kind when you tell them off.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 06-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
I have a friend that has a daughter that just turned 6 and she has a severe weight problem. When she was 4 1/2 she was wearing a size 16 1/2 in girls clothing. She still is wearing that size but is now loosing weight. She doesn't have a pinky any longer when she goes to bed or a bottle or sippy cup filled several times with chocolate milk. She has medical issues as well that is causing her weight. The kids so far are accepting her but later on I hope they don't start bullying. She's a great girl with a big heart and loves everything and everyone.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Did you mean 6 1/2 ?? I'm fairly certain that is what you
meant.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Nine Year Member

Carrie, the best thing for your daughter is to take her to her dr. and ask his advice. More than likely the dr. will tell you to feed her sensibly and not do any extreme dieting with her..
Tell your family members to butt out and stop making comments around your daughter that will probably hurt her feelings.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

As others have said, if her pediatrician isn't concerned, tell everyone else to quit repeating themselves. My great granddaughters' mother is 5'10" and her dad is 6'5", so she is a big girl, tall and filled out but not fat. When she was 4 her grandmother took her to the health dep't for her checkup. One of the nurses said "She's too big for her age." Grandma said "What should we do, cut her legs off?"
Just make sure her "treats" are treats, not the main part of her food.