Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-20-2004, 06:30 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks Elizabeth, well said!

I think if we want to continue to discuss diet differences there is a forum for it. Let's stick to kids weight problems here!
Old 08-20-2004, 06:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

leasmom I was thin all my life until I was told I was Bipolar and put on meds. I started gaining weight, a lot at first and then slowly gained little by little. I ended up about 30 lbs heavier then before I started the meds. so part of your DD weight problem could really be the meds. My 12 year old has also been diagnosed with Bipolar and even though she isn't overweight at this point (she was very tiny to start with) she now weights 75 lbs but when she was put on the meds two months ago she has gained 7 lbs since. I am watching this closely because if she keeps gaining I will talk to the doctors about this because I won't let the meds make her hate her weight like I hate mine. So I would say for sure read up on your Bipolar site about what meds she is taking for the Bipolar and see if others have gained weight on the same meds. There are a number of meds out there now to treat Bipolar and if the ones she is on are causing her to gain some of the weight you can always ask the doctor to switch her meds.

mouse
Old 08-20-2004, 06:50 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thank You, I'll post about it now!

And see what other parents say.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My grandson was so fat at 7 that he was developing breasts. He is now 11 and wears regular size clothing.

When we realized that he was going to have a weight problem we asked the doctor about a diet. The doctor did not want him to loose weight because he was still growing.

He talked to Christopher about the foods he liked and didn't like and they decided that a vegetarian diet would be best for him.

There are lots of good vegetarian sites on the net that have great recipies. The middle school he attends serves vegetarian foods at lunch so that also helps. He loves to come home from school and grab a big dill pickle out of the jar, a string cheese, a piece of fruit, or a hand full of nuts.

When we have hamburgers he has veggie burgers. When I make spaghetti I serve his first then add the meat for our dinner.
I was surprised at how many recipies I use where the meat can be cooked seperately and added last or not not added at all. We are also finding that many of the vegetarian meals are good.

He is healthier, he grew into his weight, and he is proud that he doesn't eat anything with a face.

Being active is not a problem at our house because we are active together. We all clean house and we all help in the yard. We camp on the weekends so there are trails to walk and wood to gather. He does miss eating roasted marshmellows but says that smores without the marshmellows are still good.

I'm so glad that we went to the doctor because he gave Christopher power over his weight problem by letting *him* have control of the foods he eats. He didn't go on a diet that deprived him, but went on a healthy diet that gave him many choices of the foods he already loved.

Love & Prayers,
Linda
Old 08-21-2004, 04:40 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Dd will be able to have the same stuff I have

I can still have LC icecream, chocolate bars, etc. I can eat nuts, cheeses, etc. but instead of buying one product for me and one for her, I will just buy one for us to share. Plus lots of fruit and veggies.

I think that not stressing a 'diet' with her is gonna work best, but just offering better foods for her and being aware that she is sensitive like me to certain foods will help with her weight and keping her active.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Leasmom,
Let her play soccer. She can play a defender possition and she will not have to run a lot. She will have to stay back with the goal and protect it. If she joins the recreation league in your area she can not be turned down for any reason and she is guaranteed to play every game for at least one half of the game. I am a board member of our local rec. league and I have 2 children playing. My DD has been playing for 7 seasons and still has trouble running the whole field. She is not overweight but she is not as thin as the rest of the girls her age but it doesn't stop her from playing. She loves the sport enough to be motivated to play her best and push herself to run as long and hard as the team needs her to. Give your daughter a chance, she may surprise you. The team wont give her a hard time either, they will encourage her to do her best.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My two cents worth

I was a skinny baby, a skinny toddler, a chubby child and am now a fat adult. I have read and read and read on this subject, and here is my personal opinion on what is the most well rounded way to deal with this situation in one so young. Do not make a huge issue out of food, (even things that don't seem to you like you are, will to her eventually) pay attention to portions, don't make her eat all of her food. Make sure to put a variety of healthful foods into her meal and tell her she has to at least take one bite of each thing on her plate. If she wants junk food as a snack, let her know that she can have those Doritos, but only 3 or 4. Give her a choice... "would you like 4 doritos, or 6 carrot sticks?" if she wants a cookie once in a while, don't always tell her no, it is ok to have one once in a while, just not 2 or 3 of them... and remind her of how beautiful she is. I also think that it is important to explain to her how some foods are good for our bodies and some are not, and let her see you making those healthy choices!

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 09-02-2004, 05:09 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Tasha,

Beautifuuly said! I absolutely totally agree...that is the approach that I am working with my daughter!

Thanks for your perspective!
Kim
Country Bunny Rep#3698
Pamper The Skin Your In!
Old 09-02-2004, 05:58 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I celebrated dd's birthday yesterday so she is 8

and we had a combo of low carb and regular carbed foods. We had a good time and she enjoyed it. I am going to put her on a semi-low carb diet, meaning she will have some carbs. She tried a few low carb items and loved it so that is great. A few like the Low Carb Doritoes she hated-LOL! But dd will eat lots of veggies, meats-(she doesn't like meat that much), and dairy. Dd is also being more active at school in their excerise program. I still have to find out about the Soccer program.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sounds like you have found a plan that feels right for you, that is really the way to go, something you can be consistent with. I agree with your daughter, low carb chips suck! Some things you can fake, like I just bought a box of Silhouettes low carb chocolate peanut butter ice cream bars (I had not intended on buying the peanut butter ones and was ticked when I saw them at home) they were Awesome! Not deprived at all! I ate one, and it took me forever, it is a good sized portion, and they are just really yummy and creamy and indulgent. Anyway, I digress, but my point is, you can work with that, find what she likes and keep buying the healthy things she enjoys so that it does not feel like you are trying to starve her or deprive her.

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~