Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-19-2004, 04:46 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

andi0527, spaghetti O's aren't nutritious

and dd just started eating them. She's only had about 4 cans of it out of her entire life. I was happy because it was frugal, but 4 cans isn't why she is heavy.

Pork rinds are healthy and recommended on a Low Carb diet. I am low carb and losing weight and children who are placed on low carb diets, like the adults can substitute pork rinds for chips. The only thing with pork rinds is to watch the sodium content and to make sure not to eat it daily. But its a wonderful substitute.

I realize that people that aren't familiar with Low Carb lifestyles may think that Pork rinds is awful, but its a very good snack as is cheese and meats. I'm sure if I were to switch dd to a Low Carb lifestyle she would lose the weight. I wouldn't switch her completely to a LC lifestyle though. But I can limit the white sugar, starch, breads, etc. that she eats.

Dd and I did decide to change from her using sugar to Splenda with me, which will make it easier to shop for. Dd has eaten my low carb brownies that I buy OCCASIONALLY. She's eaten them up. But, I eat alot of veggies, meats etc. and I think if I were to put her on a LC diet, she would lose the weight, feel much better about herself.

The key is to not make her feel like she's on a diet. Like for me, I've been eating this way for months now and its just a lifestyle for me now, not a diet. So, I just need to make it apart of our everyday living...well, it is apart of mine but just extend it to her!

Last edited by leasmom; 08-19-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

leasmom it sounds to me like your headed down the right road you know whats best for your dd i think thats what im going to do is just cut out the sugar

Old 08-19-2004, 05:29 PM
Assistant Moderator

Do you go out side to play with your daughter or send her out alone?
I know my youngest will go out side for ages to play if there is some one with him.
I tell him to go outside and I will be there in 5 minutes, I meet him out there to play awhile, just throwing the ball (soccer, tennis) high and low, or side to side just to get them moving around, you don't need to move if you don't want to. Just sitting on a step to watch thier achievements, they seem to love just your presence.
Eat outside in the evening and while you finish dinner, or have your coffee watch her play before she cleans up and goes to bed.
Our play station is only a weekend thing and limited to time in the morn and afternoon and computer time is limited.
As I tell the kids everything is ok to eat, but in moderation as I think that saying NO all the time they will rebel and it could be worse.

MY kids to a seasonal sport, summer or winter and an allyear round sport.
My eldest (14) rides his bike to school a 6.5 kilometre or approx 4miles there and back.

Old 08-19-2004, 05:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Here is some information about low carb diets with children:

Thursday, February 19, 2004

Low-carb diets may hurt children in the long run

By Jane E. Allen / Los Angeles Times

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

With millions of U.S. adults devoting themselves to low-carbohydrate diets, such as the Atkins weight-loss program, it is not surprising that some children are following their lead.

However, pediatricians and nutritionists say low-carb diets may be a bad idea for children. With rising rates of childhood obesity creating a major public health problem, these experts agree that going easy on refined sugars and starches in cookies, chips and bagels is a good thing. They worry that kids who avoid or limit such foods as bread, potatoes, rice and fruit may be depriving themselves of important nutrients that are necessary for growing bodies. And they caution that parents who encourage such eating may not be aware of the consequences.

“The family is doing it and saying, ‘If it’s good for me, it’s good for my kids,’ ” says Dr. Henry Anhalt, chief of pediatric endocrinology at Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.

“There’s this misconception that if they go on the Atkins diet, they’ll have greater success than if they eliminate the saturated fat and simple sugars in their diet.”

Carbohydrates are sugar molecules that the body uses for energy. Most low-carb diets are based on the idea that when you overindulge in refined starches and sugars, you convert the excess sugar into fat and risk developing obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Instead, the diets recommend more protein and eating only fiber-rich complex carbohydrates, such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains, which break down more slowly.

While no one disputes that low-carb dieters can lose weight fast, there are no good long-term studies. Doctors worry that kids, just like adults, probably will regain weight once they veer from the diet. Those who haven’t established healthy eating habits risk developing eating disorders, says Dr. Francine R. Kaufman, chief of pediatric endocrinology at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles. She says there’s minimal research to show that Atkins is appropriate for growing kids.

The best and most prudent course, say Kaufman and others treating an epidemic of Type 2 diabetes in overweight children, lies in moderating carbs while establishing sensible lifelong eating patterns.

And here is some info on Pork:

Modern hog factories are fertile breeding grounds for a wide variety of diseases. A pork industry report explains:

Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome, or PRRS, was first reported in U.S. herds in 1987. It is now estimated to be in as many as 60 percent of U.S. herds...Swine arthritis has increased in economic importance with confinement rearing, partly because of damage related to flooring conditions and partly because of faster growth rates and lack of exercise...The incidence of salmonellosis has continued to increase. It is estimated that one-third to half of farms have some level of salmonellosis...Epidemic transmissible gastroenteritis, or TGE, is a dreaded disease because it's hard to keep out of herds, there's no effective treatment and it carries a devastating mortality rate in baby pigs. Nearly all pigs less than 10 days old die if infected...Forty to 70 percent of U.S. pigs show evidence of infection with bratislava (a type of Leptospirosis)...Tests indicate 80 percent to 85 percent of sows in major swine producing areas have been exposed to parvovirus.

This is just some info I have found about these two subjects. Of course, it is up to you how you want your dd to eat.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:41 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good ideal

I can watch her play a little. The reason I say that is because here in Tennessee it doesn't get cooler at night during August it actually get hotter-(HOT) at around 3 until 4 a.m.-(in August mainly). That may have alot to do with why dd isn't so eager to play outside right now too!!! I know for me I don't want to be out in the heat right now so that MAY be why she's loping around and not playing right now. The heat can zap your energy, that's the downfall about living in the South. But, we don't have cool weather as fast as in other places and so when it gets cooler I can watch her. I am trying to teach dd to be able to play alone because she does always feel she needs someone else to play with her, and shes an only child which is a problem. But, I can remember that and use it when we can. It's 10 p.m. now and I'm actually sweating...it's that hot.

Also, dd recently broke the only swing on the jungle gym/swingset outside so I will be replacing it with 3 new ones for when her cousins come on weekends. I know they'll enjoy playing outside! And I will sign her up for the soccer. She used to play t-ball but wants to play soccer this time so for sure I will send it in so she can stay active.

Also, no we don't have a YWCA and the Boys and Girls club here only has indoor activities. But, I will check out the local swimming program and see about signing her up.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Andio, I am sorry but I respectfully disagree

I think you can find negative information on just about anything if you look for it. I was nearly 400 lbs and I have dropped 4 dress sizes. And there are alot of families, including children whose kids are returned to good health, good cholesterol levels, good weight, heart etc. with low carb diets.

There is a misconception in the media that low carb diets completely eliminate carbs, veggies etc. That simply isn't true. There are more success on weightloss using Low Carb than there is with Low Fat diets.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one and I know that cutting out white starches and sugar is even recommended on a low fat diet and can't possibly be harmful to a child if left off of it. Some kids can handle eating pasta etc. while others can't and its obvious that my dd is no different than me. She will have a healthy well-balanced diet with lots of veggies, meats-(protien), without white sugar and starches. That's a healthy way to live and I am definately going to make sure that dd is given every chance she can so she isn't nearly 30 like me wishing she hadnt've spent her 20's as a severely obese person. This isn't meant to be disrespectful to you. I know there are alot of people who are against Low Carb diets and that's fine. But it does work, I'm LIVING proof of that because if I kept on the track I was heading I wouldn't be here now and believe me I tried every Low Fat diet, went to nutritionists, went to doctors, was even about to undergo bypass surgery and this is the only thing that has me going down in weight and I'm eating more veggies than I ever did before and the doctors were very surprised at how healthy I now am, off of high blood pressure pills, water pills etc.

I understand that if you're taught that Low Fat is the right way than that's how you think, but Low Carb is a good diet and there are lots of children and adults benefiting from it and its saving their lives. So, we can agree to disagree on this one!

P.S. there is a thread for parents who are having success with thier kids on LC Diets and they tell you how its changing their lives for the better, it's http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Last edited by leasmom; 08-19-2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Assistant Moderator

I agree kids need to be able to spend time on thier own to play by themselves, but some times just 5 mins to watch so they can say, " look what I can do mum" makes all the difference. Good luck

Old 08-19-2004, 06:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We can agree to disagree because I do disagree, as well. I have been doing Weight Watchers for over 3 years now. I am a Lifetime member. I lost 52 lbs doing Weight Watchers and that was following a low fat, whole foods, high fiber diet. The information I gave weren't things that I presented as my opinion. They were opinions of doctors and nutritionists. It would be one thing if I was just giving you my opinon. These are opinions of professionals. The low carb diet was never meant to be used for long term use. It was designed for patients getting ready for heart sugury. It isn't a lifestyle that can be continued for the rest of your life. It isn't practical. I think it is a fad that wil be dead shortly. Already, a lot of the companies that produced all these low carb products are losing money. I realize you think differently and that is fine but just thought I'd let you know what the professionals thought.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:24 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Believe me I know

and like I said, my doctors are very happy with my progress, even congradjulated me. Atkins does has a maintenance phase and its not a phase, it's been around since the 70's and yes there are some people who jump on the bandwagon about it and then don't follow through. But that isn't everyone. There are alot of die-hard Low Carb people who have changed their lifestyles, some having gotten to their goal weight years before and have kept off the weight for 10 yrs or more. There are alot of successes just as their is with weight watchers. I believe that whatever works for you, you should do. And for me, I am very carb sensitive and would never want to go back to trying to lose weight with all the different methods, pills, doctors visits, and nearly operation-(cancelled 2 days before). I am doing much better now and I believe that thanks to this thread I have to start looking at dd in the same way I saw myself. She just has my genes.

I think we can further discuss this in the Low Carb diet thread if you'd like.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

There are people who respond better to Low Carb and some who respond better to Low-calorie and Low Fat diets. People are different. Any diet carried to excess can be "bad." We need "some" fat in order to make needed hormones and enzymes. We need "some" protein for growth, manufacture of enzymes, cell repair, etc. We need "some" carbohydrates for energy. There are specific vitamins and minerals that are made available and activated by each kind of food.

The so-called "Low Carb" diet is, in fact, rich not only in protein, but in fresh veggies and fruits and whole grains.

In general, we will lose weight by using more calories than we take in. But some people store nutrients differently from others. Some people are insulin resistant and carbs will increase glucagon levels and cause greatly increased fat storage. These people do much better on a low carb diet. Others have very reactive insulin, and need more carbs.

There isn't a real conflict here, just different people with differing needs and differing solutions to the same problem - over weight.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth