Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-19-2004, 06:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm all for raising healthy kids, but restricting everything??? Personally, I think it would backfire.... anyone who's ever been on a diet knows when you deny yourself you just want it more.

I can see my kids are starting to get heavy so I've cut out fast food and soda (we may have them once a month as a treat) and I can already see a difference. But cutting out everything just seems too drastic for a 7 year old. If we can just teach our kids the "everything in moderation" rule I think they'll be just fine.

Definitely get her active in swimming or something and helping around the house is great, I just feel that if you deprive her of everything she likes and force her to vaccuum and weed the garden she'll feel like she's being punished and it will eventually backfire.

Keep your words soft and tender as you may have to eat them tomorrow!
Old 08-19-2004, 06:43 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I agree!

There has to be a balance. I think part of why I ate so much after I was grown was because I was able to buy all of the foods I remember not being allowed to eat as a kid, and that wasn't because I wasn't given any snack foods, we were, but for me just knowing that I could not have oatmeal cookies triggered this desire in me and I would eat oatmeal cookies, like a box of them in 2 days. Stuff like that. I don't want to trigger any diet problems with her, so I told her that instead of chips she can have pork rinds-(I'm low carb and that's perfectly acceptable), and I'll make changes to her breads etc. and do like I was doing before the beginning of this month, which was to offer lots of fruits and veggies. She still will have cookies because I like baking them but she won't have this everyday.

My mom always gave us fruit either an apple or orange as our daily snack and either milk or water as our drink. I'll be a little more creative but instead of some fat and sugar laden snack, I'll offer more fruits etc., cheeses and veggies. I'm gonna send in her application for the Soccer so she can be active. Because of family history, I'm not sure if this will stop her from being overweight but it may help out alot. Dd has gained either 5 to 10 lbs just in 2 months and her clothes no longer fit her thighs or stomach, so I've got to control this now before it gets too out of hand!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 06:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

my 2 cents worth:

Get a doctors advice. My grand daughter was food oriented and we was all worried about her. Above all it is important NOT to make her feel bad. The worse she feels the more problems it will cause her maybe even a permenant eatting disorder. I am very obese and would not wish that on my worst enemy. offer healthy choices. Don't deprive her. A low fat meal with a not so low desert is fine once in a while. Balance is the key. And NEVER discourage activity. My gd tried to keep up with the other kids , running playing etc and although she got so red and tired she was determined to do the fun things. No one told her she was to fat to do them . She has lost a lot of weight naturally over the course of 2 or 3 years without her knowing what hit her,LOL. That's the nice thing about children, You give them there food and you decide on portion size,etc.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:31 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have to agree with you momszoo

I have a heard time fixing things for my dd because she wont eat meat or chicken she likes mac and ch and fries loves pepperoni that the only meat she gets she likes grapes she eats no eggs or drinks milk she mostly drinks water some diet soda once in a while

I need to change the way we all eat we are bad about snacking alot and thats not good

Old 08-19-2004, 08:22 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Boggz, do we have the same kid???

Dd just started fixing her own food recently and after working hard raking up HUGE/LONG grass clippings in our HUGE yard for 3 days, I was fine with her cooking for herself. Her choices...noodles, spaghetti, and spaghetti O's (which she never liked before and frugally, I thought great, now I can feed you a meal for a few cents), but now this and the Premature Development thread I started have really got me to thinking. Dd hates chicken because when we lived in Colorado with the prices for eggs being $3.99 a dozen and $12 to $15 for a small pack of beef, we over-ate chicken and she now hates it. She doesn't like much meat anyway, she prefers starches which is what caused me to be overweight and I'm now losing thanks to Low Carbing, but she's starting to head down the same road as me. It's amazing how when I first posted this I didn't even think of what I was feeding her as being bad. I've been concentrating on my own weightloss and looking at her gain and for some crazy and stupid reason I didn't realize that she is like me...carb sensitive. I've got to do better than that.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:40 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

leasmom are dd are so much alike its scarry my dd only like chef boyr dee spegehett and meat balls but she wont eat the meat balls she eats alot of califlower and rance dip Id love to do low carb iv got to do something for me and my dd

Old 08-19-2004, 09:07 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We have a low carb thread on here

Come on by we'd love to have ya. But also, try...http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25

They have a thread on starting a Low Carb diet for kids!
Old 08-19-2004, 02:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't mean to be offensive but Pork Rinds and Spaghetti O's aren't very nutritious. I would focus on offering your dd healthy whole foods like fruit, veggies, whole grains, low fat meat, low fat dairy, etc. Most packaged food is processed and full of fat and preservatives. If you go to countries like France you don't see half as many overweight people as we have in the US. They don't eat all the packaged processed food that we eat. Plus, they walk a lot more than we do. Maybe, check out some books on nutrition from the library. If you only have nutritious foods in the house than your family will have no choice but to eat those. I don't believe in depriving of all things that aren't nutritious but maybe have those things in moderation. Have them as a occasional treat. If you have your dd involved in actitivites like swimming and soccer that will help too. My dd's both are involved in swimming, soccer, and gymnastics. They have fun because they make friends while doing it plus they are doing something go for themselves!
Old 08-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Make your own "Chef BoyarDee" using whole-grain pasta and other whole foods. If you grow tomatoes, make your own sauce.

Problem with the canned pasta meals (like Chef Boyardee) is that they have lots of sugar added to them. Kids become "addicted" to sweets. That's why I suggest cutting all sugars out of kids' diets - even if they have no behavioral problems.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 08-19-2004, 05:08 PM
Head Moderator

First of all so she doesn't feel like you are picking on just her, change the way the whole family eats. Nothing drastically, but include more fresh steamed vegetables in place of fried or sauced or even putting butter on them. Cut down the amount of meat in a meal and go for more veggies. Watch servings sizes, and include a salad with lunches and suppers; maybe serving the salad alone as a first course and then the main meal. She might fill up some on the salad and not have as much room left that way. Then serve dessert right after supper, fresh fruits on puddings made with skim milk and sugar free jello with a calorie reduced topping. And as far as a late night snack air popped popcorn, fat free ice cream, sherbet, or even more fruit. Go for iced cold water with your meals (it helps fill you up, and most poeple don't drink enough plain water anyway). Then right after supper the whole family can go for a neighborhood walk together every night right from the table. You can start off slow and short walks and increase the speed and distance as you can. Does she like swimming? Classes to learn are usually reasonable at a YMCA and its great excerise! If she already knows how; go for a membership for her and take her 3 times a week or so (you can catch up on your reading then also!) Hope maybe this will give you some ideas and she won't feel like she's being singles out! Good Luck!