Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-27-2004, 10:34 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question Help underweight

My son is 2 years old and only weighs 25 pounds... He picks when he eats. The things I find he likes he doesn't eat it all he just mainly plays around. Does anyone else have this problem? What can I do to get him to gain weight? He is very active none stop he is playing all day long and doesn't takes naps either... Becky
Old 08-03-2004, 05:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Becky,

I just saw your post today... Sorry it took so long to answer you...

But I wanted to offer my experience on this.. ...

At about this age, kids start eating shockingly less food! Think about it... If babies kept consuming the amounts of food they did proportinately throughout their childhood.. they'd explode!!

Well OK I'm kidding here.. But this is the age when there is sooo much to do and see and explore, food becomes a necessity they slow down for when they HAVE to!

Just offer a good variety of nutritious foods in small portions several times a day. Stay away from empty calories ( sodas and fruit drinks included) they fill up their tummies and leave less room for nutrition. Go big on finger foods... and trust that he will eat when he's hungry.

Make a log of what he eats over the course of one week.. don't obcess about a day at a time, and youll get a better picture of what his nutrition is really like.

If he's doing the diaper or potty thing.. and he's growing ...then he's eating and drinking enough to be healthy..

Here is one site you might look at.. It has growth charts that show averages for height/weight for boys age two and up..
http://pediatrics.about.com/library/...s/nboystwo.htm

You didn't say how tall your son was, or how his growth rates have been throughout his life..

If you have real concerns, you should absolutely discuss them with your pediatritian..

But all in all.. eating slows and activity rises around this age... I think that's why the Two's got the nickname "Terrible"

Val
Old 08-03-2004, 07:50 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I really don't know how tall he is... He will normally eat cereal in the mornings and drink the milk out of it, later on he will eat Ramen Noodles and chip, snack cakes. But I will look into it further. Thanks so much for your help. Becky
Old 08-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Becky...

Here is a sample day-care menu from the FDA...

These are the serving sizes the government recommends feeding children from 1-3 years old for b'kfst, snack and lunch...

Breakfast:

Fruit or juice: 1/4 C
Cooked cereal:2Tbs, mixed acording to pkg directions
OR
Wheat toast: 1/4 slice
Milk: 1/2 cup

Mid-morning snack:

Milk: 1/2 Cup
Crackers: 2

Lunch:

Meat: 1-2 TBS, diced
Vegs. 1-2 TBS, diced, or pureed
Fruit or 2nd veg, 1-2 TBS
Milk 1/2 Cup

Mid-afternoon snack:

Milk: 1/2 cup
Crackers 2

That's a lot of food for a toddler.. don't expect they will eat it all.. These recommendations for Daycare take into count that these meals might be to only food a child recieves all day, so they meet their minimum requirements. Dinnere would be about the same as the lunch...

You could get creative with the menu, of course.. But in a perfect world, there would be no cookies, chips, sodas or candies until our kids get outof our care.. but hey.. I NEED an OREO at about 4PM myself! LOL

Let your own food budget, your family's eating habits and your schedule guide you.. but don't stress too much... And remember.. a lot of sweets make a child crazy active too! LOLOL

Val
Old 08-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks I'll try this and see how this goes. He is very active too. I guess that is why he doesn't eat much afraid it will mess his playing time up. I know when we eat supper he will eat a bite or two and is ready to get his big truck and go outside to play in the dirt... Thank you so much for your help.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My daughter just turned three, I am not sure of her height at the moment (she is MUCH taller than the average 3 year old!) and she has been in the fifth percentile for weight and off the chart in height for ever. She has weighed 28, then 29 pounds for the last year, and just keeps getting taller. She eats a lot... some days. Others I swear she will starve. But the thing is what is normal is only what is normal for your child, if he has always been on the thin side, he probably will generally stay that way. One of the things I do to encourage Emmy to eat, is to cut up differant cheeses into tiny cubes, put out a few differant kinds of crackers and cut up cooked veggies, and cubes of cut up ham and chicken, and we stack them... always a cracker with at least one cheese and at least one veggie she builds them, then she eats them and it works. Roll up tortillas with cream cheese and jelly, or peanut butter... anything fun. The best thing to get Emmy to eat is cut things into small fun pieces and let her eat with her hands. It also helps to enlist her help getting peanut butter on a butter knife, arranging things on her plate or making choices about what lunch will be.

I got tired very quickly of Emmys nutritionist telling us to add butter and heavy cream to all of her food and to give her things that I did not feel were healthy. I got a new one, and she is awesome, she realizes that kids are all differant shapes and sizes and the fact that your son is very active is a good sign that he is getting enough to eat ( keeping up that energy requires enough fuel, you would be able to tell if he were not eating enough)

Probably the most important thing I would tell you is that if he only eats three bites a day, they should be the healthiest things you can get into him, dairy, protein and vitamins... a fruit or vegetable, a piece of cheese, an egg or some peanut butter.

Hope this gave you some ideas and calmed your concerns. My nutritionist told me that kids will eat if they are hungry, they will NOT starve themselves, they are very good regulators of what they need

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 08-08-2004, 08:56 PM
kellyandkids

1) Watch out for kids with a grazing pattern of eating. It can lead to major tooth decay if the teeth don't get cleaned. Mommy guilty right here.

2) Lots of hugs. Massage. "Touch a baby and he grows" has always been my motto. Take off his shirt and gently rub. Rub down his legs and he'll sleep better. Find a book in the library if you want more info about baby massage.

3) Is he sleeping without disturbance? Some kids have acid reflux and then snore and develop apnea. Some kids display hyper activity because they are exhausted and trying to keep themselves awake.

4) Don't stress about food intake. No kid has ever starved himself. If you display a good attitude about fruits and veggies, so will he. Broccoli: Dinosaurs ate trees.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Low Weight Child

My son has always been small for his size, when I take first took him to the doctor for the first two years, they were concerned about his weight, He is five now and weighs only 31.5 pounds, but all the men in my husbands family are small, once the doctors realized this they did not worry so much either. My son is healthy and happy, he eats good for a little while, but never as much as most kids his age, our family physcian "angel" tells me not to worry to feed him what he wants while trying to introduce new foods into his diet, but do not force this, he says my son will be fine. So don't worry too much as long as he is healthy every other way. Good luck with finding clothes that are long enough and small enough (especially the waists on pants).

Deidra
Old 08-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi,
All my kids are on the thinner side which I don't really worry about too much but just make sure they get a wide variety and things are a little on the healthy side.
Kids burn alot of calories. I'd offer healthy snacks several times a day. I also offer my kids fruit smoothies(they actually are making packaged smoothies that you just pour some apple juice in with the prepackage items and they are very good) and Shaklee Meal Shakes made with ice.<----- These are a favorite. My kids like snacks like baby carrots and french dressing or cucumbers and dressing. Mine like pasta salads made with Wish Bone Italian Dressing or Greek Salads with Greek Dressing.
Rice pudding (Cozy Shak is great!) or nut breads with sweetend cream cheese are good.
I use a lot of appitizer ideas. I make a dip from a box of thawed
and drained chopped broccoli, Kraft Garlic Cheese, Cream of Mushroom Soup and a dash of hot pepper sauce. Melt in a pot and servce some sort of grain crackers.
Keep it interesting and try new flavors and textures.
Another thing I have done is that I made a cabinet just for my kids and they have snacks etc. in there they can access on their own. They also have a section in the frig I keep drinks and cool stuff available for them. It gives them some ownership and freedom to choose.
Best of luck! Hope this helps!
Robin in NC
Old 08-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Re: Low Weight Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Deidra
Good luck with finding clothes that are long enough and small enough (especially the waists on pants).

Deidra

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~