Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

oops... sent that before I was done!

Tell me about it... I cannot keep my daughter in long enough clothes, I have come to the conclusion that she will spend the better part of her young life in overalls... otherwise pants that are long enough fall right off her hips. She is getting ready to be out of pull ups and I don't know what I will do, they help keep her pants on! If you use a belt it makes her waist look like a bunched up duffle bag !

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 08-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I definatley agree with all advice toward healthful food and making the most of what they will eat.

ds#1 has always eaten everything I have put in front of him with the exception of raw onions. He eats pretty balanced meals and is active. He is in the 95% for height and weight and @ 5 1/2 he wears a size 7-8...he's not chubby by any stretch of the imagination just bigger than the average. My dad is 6'2 and I think he'll follow in grandpa's footsteps! At this age he is weighing 60lbs and is above my ribcage in height (granted I'm only 5'1!!!)

ds#2 is a little pickier...can NOT get him to eat egg in any shape or form! Not even with cheese or ketchup or hidden behind a piece of bacon or pancake...he can find the tiniest piece and spit it out! On the other hand he LOVES cheese and that is usually his protein for breakfast is a cheese stick or cheese cubes along with flourless wholegrain toast and some fruit. He is also lactose intolerant so doesn't drink cow's milk but soy milk and likes it really well. He is smaller than his brother and ranges in the 50th percentile for height and weight. As of a few days ago he weighed 30lbs and I haven't measured him recently but he does need to go in for a well child check (which the insurance doesn't pay for along with immunizations )

Just make sure that every little nibble that goes in is a healthy choice and not empty calories (fruit juice, things made with white flour and white sugar, or fast food).

We're always here for support!

Sandra

Last edited by ethansamuel; 08-09-2004 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yup, juice can be an appetite killer and is LOADED with sugar! It sounds like a healthy choice but really is only good in TINY servings! It does help if you juice your own and add veggies to it. (if you use apple in it it will still be sweet with a good amount of veggies)

Our favorite combo is a couple of apples (some sweet, some sour) some carrots and a small amount of celery. YUM! And very sweet.

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 08-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tasha...that does sound good!

Old 08-10-2004, 05:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm on my third thin toddler and dressing them is the WORST! I'm getting pretty good at taking tucks in waists....

My 29-month-old busy boy weighs about 27 pounds. He doesn't nap much and goes from morning till night. He is generally healthy and very active. Some days I think he lives on air. Other days he asks me for peanut butter sandwiches every couple of hours!

The pediatrician hasn't worried about any of my kids, and they have all always been thin. My 12 year old DS only weighs 66 but he is very healthy, quite active, and a great eater (with a great variety!)

DO limit juice. Our doctor always said that 8 ounces of juice a day was enough. I diluted the juice so my kids could have more cups of "juice" and still be in the 8 ounces. Also milk will fill their bellies and too much milk means that they may not have room for other nutritious foods. 16 ounces of milk is good for toddlers.

I try to let my kids eat all they want of healthy things (fruit, raw vegetables, cheese, yogurt, peanut butter sandwiches) and let them have some--but not a lot--of "treats" like cookies, chips, ice cream. I also offer many different kinds of food so they have learned to eat a good variety.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:22 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good advice Barbszy!

Old 08-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Nine Year Member

My granddaugher will be 2 on August 29. She's about 29in. tall and only just over 17lbs. She was also 3 months premature and has sever reflux, which seems to have stopped now-after we took her off the medicine that seemed to make her throw up. She gained about a pound after she came off the medicine but hasn't gained a whole lot since-it's been about 3 months now. Her pedi and nutritionist are not real concerned because she's really very healthy and very active. She eats a little, just not alot of any one thing. She's on pediasure instead of formula or milk too, because of the high calories.
As long as your child is healthy and if your doctor is not concerned with his low weight gain I wouldn't worry needlessly-just gives you heartburn!!!
My daughter had scheduled my granddaughter with a GI to see if she has a slow digestion, but we had to cancel the appointment-now unless she can find a children's GI locally we'll probably have to wait until next year to have her tested for that particular thing. This seems to be an almost common problem with kids who don't seem to eat much at all.
Hope you can get comfortable with what your son is eating and the amounts-otherwise your stress over it may cause him to eat even less. I know, my daughter is more comfortable with how my granddaughter eats than I am, but I'm trying to relax a bit more about it.
Take care.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks everyone

Thank you all for your suggestions. I had to take my son today to the doctor for an ear infection and he weighs 25 pounds but told me not to worry. He is active alot and does eat just not like I do or would prefer at a time. But I guess he just looked so little. Thank you all so very much... Becky
Old 08-12-2004, 03:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Becky, is this your first child? I remember how worried I was when my oldest was that thin at that age. If you read back you'll see he is still thin as a rail! And to top it off, he always has had a BIG head. The pediatrician even said, "He has a big head, and it makes the rest of him appear even smaller!" And his little brother is the same way.

Toddlers hate to sit and eat too, especially if they're active! Your little guy sounds like my little guy.

This week Luke is addicted to those "nutri grain" bars. At least they have vitamins in them....better than regular cookies for a snack.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:38 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi barbszy, No this is my second child. My husband says he does have a big head. We went to Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago and he had an accident so I went and bought him a size 24 month shorts and they fell off of him. He is still in a size 12 month. But he is active alot. I fixed him breakfast this morning and he ate a couple of bites and is playing again.......