Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Bariatric Surgery---Would you consider it?

There has been so much in the news lately about bariatric surgery and how everyone is having it done.....what are your views on it? Would you have it done/Have you had it done?

With much thinking about it, I have considered going to a workshop that would answer all of my questions. I have to admit that I am interested in it although Im still scared to actually do it.

Any opinions on this subject?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 02-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am a big woman and although I would love to lose the weight, I would never have the surgery. There are way to many risks from what I have heard. Yes it is great but any time under the knife is too much for me! I blew out a disk in my back almost 2 years ago and laid on the floor in pain for 3 months before surgery. It was great and helped a ton but I was scared to death. I have a hard time putting my life in someone elses hands!
Old 02-06-2004, 08:38 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Newbie

ajrsmom

In 1989 I weighed 256 lbs!!!! In July of that yr., I had a gastic bypass. I lost 111 lbs. I went back up to about 150-155 lbs where I stablized. I pretty much stay at that weight now. I have had 6 surgeries in my 49 yrs and of those 6 surgreries if I was told tomorrow that I had to repeat one of them it would MOST CERTAINLY be the bypass. Of all my surgeries, it was the easiest. I have NEVER regretted having it done. I would recommend it to anyone.

I hope this has helped. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will answer all I can.

Good Luck!!!

Anita

Life would be awesome if I had the confidence in myself that other people have in me!!!!
Old 02-07-2004, 06:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Although I am overweight, I have been told that I am not overweight by a big enough percentage to even be a candidate for such surgery. (this was done in a general discussion about wight loss choices)

If I did have enough to lose and my health was at stake due to the excess weight, I would do it just to stick around and see my children grow up, marry and have my grandchildren!

My 9 y.o. son's Kindergarten teacher had the surgery the summer before DS was in her class. She still says nothing but great things about it overall.....she does say that the initial period right after the surgery isn't quite so pleasant since you can only have liquids.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dear ajrsmom and others,

I too have been contemplating this surgery. I have NOT been overweight all my life...just the last 8 years (post <a horrible> menopause). Since menopause though, I don't seem to BE ABLE to control carb. intake-especially ice cream. I have eaten ice cream until it literally made me sick, thinking I wouldn't want it again...didn't work. As silly as it sounds, I'm an ice cream aholic. It has to be ice cream...can't do yogurt, can't stand "Atkins" friendly stuff and I CAN'T stay away from it. I have heard that when you have the surgery, you eat anything...but you physically can't eat too much. Can someone comment on this?
Old 02-07-2004, 06:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

gastric bypass

Well both myself and my husband had this surgery in Dec. 2000.

I developed complications and contracted Guillian Barre Syndrome (GBS) because I had this surgery. I was hospitalized for nearly 9 months. The GBS paralyzzed me from my lungs to my toes. Couldn't even breathe without assistance from a ventilator for several weeks. Was in a wheelchair for 15 months. Now walk assisted with a walker. Still have no feeling from my knees down. Will take another 2 yrs to fully recover IF my body doesn't decide to stop healing (which is another side trait to this disease). Doctors say the GBS will reduce my life expectancy by 15-25 yrs. So if I would've normally lived to be 75-80 yrs old I can now expect that to be 50-55 yrs old. I'm currently 44.

My husband had other complications not derived from this surgery but because of my illness he had to lift me in and out of the bed to the wheelchair and into the tub or toilet or whatever needs were necessary. He developed a hernia and had it repaired twice while I was wheelchair bound.

So can I recommed it? No way! Did I loose weight? Yes I did - but at what price?:mad: :mad: :mad:
Old 02-07-2004, 06:59 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you Handicrafter!
This is what I mean! The TV shows all the sucess stories but NEVER show the stories about the real pain that goes with it or the dangers. Why do they gloss over that when they will show murders, bodies, and breasts over and over? If they are real reporters they would get information from people like you! Then people could make a real decision. Heck we would almost all change our weight but is it worth the price? I think NOT!
I am sorry to hear about all your problems and your husbands. I will pray for you! Big Hugs!
Old 02-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Handicrafter..What an ordeal! ((( huggs))) I am so sorry to hear of your experience. To have what should have been a freeing proceedure turn into a handicaping nightmare must be more difficult than any of us can imagine.

crystalk, it's also important that you understand that GBS is not a normal or common complication of bariatric, or any other surgery... No one really knows what brings it on.. It can happen to anyone at any time..not just as a result of surgery. It usually presents after a sore throat, or bad bout of gastritis...

It's suspected that a viral or bacterial infection can be the thing that triggers the immune system to go haywire..and attack your own body. It causes the body's immune system to attack the peripheal nerves..and destroy the sheathing that protects them.

I too am considering this surgery. Since I was disabled, I have been unable to exercise without pain..and the lack of exercise caused me to be sedentary and gain weight..which contributed to the pain, which leads to being sedentary which adds the weight which increases the pain which... you get the drift... lol

So it's a risk . every surgery is. But I've had 2 back surgeries.. 3 abdominal surgeries..and they want to so more operations too...

I think I'd rather do this one next..and avoid any others...

Maybe Nini and I should chat....

Val
Old 02-07-2004, 08:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have heard the good and awful stories about gastric by pass surgery. Tho I am forty lbs over weight and am having a hard time losing it,if i was a candidate I would not do it . DIEting is more than just making food plan to eat or not eat certain things ? Why do we do the things we do???(over eat sweets,carbs etc...???) I have just started Reading Dr. Phil's book. For me, it I think will give me the answers why i do what i do. I also believe I should't mess around with what God created,as far as altering my body. Ida
Old 02-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Gastric bypass surgery

I've recently had gastric bypass surgery, on Sept. 3 2003 just 4 months ago. I was 366 lbs. @ time of surgery, I was also diabetic and retaining water like a sponge I could't walk more than a few feet, nor sit for any legnth of time without great difficulty or severe swelling , I have so far lost over 105 lbs. I am currently not on insulin , & not taking as many pills to function the triglycerides & cholesteral levels are getting back under control I am able to walk into stores and accomplish my errands without as much sweating, aching back & feet that were in horrible pain.(I would sweat profusely from the time I entered a store, any store or just coming in from outside, as into work, I really didn't realize how messed up I really was.) I am so glad I talked to other people who had it done I went into obesityhelp.com checked out the pos & cons & risks, my doctor agreed that it would be in my best interest if this is something I could decide to do. she said if I kept going like I was, that I would've been at great risk to die in 2-3 yrs. I went to fountain valley hosp. in so. Cal. (my sister-in-law went to the same group of surgeons) decided on going with Dr. Philip Chin. he was very good & highly recommended. I won't say that it was easy but it 's not as hard as I thought it would be for my very first surgery ever, and I was VERY frightened. Yes the first 2 weeks is just protien drinks, yogurt, pudding & jello but then you get to gradually add more soft solids then by 6 weeks its whatever -BUT-you will have to change the gulp-n-go mentality. This procedure forces you to slow down and actually chew & taste your food. I think it is a good thing I still go out to eat at my favorite chinese resturant but I get to take it home & enjoy it for a few more meals I love that I am getting more for my money in a way. instead of just getting my money's worth out of the buffet & being full & miserable for 2 hrs.

If you want to ask me any questions you can.