Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 07-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by tashablueyes
I have an eating disorder called "Compulsive Eating" it sounds like a joke, but it is a true disorder, people recognize anorexia and bulimia, but to be a compulsive eater certainly MUST mean that you are just lazy and have no self control

I suffer from Compulsive Eating. Yes, it IS a REAL disorder!! It is as real as anorexia, bulemia & alcoholism.

Thanks for the website Tami. I will check it out once I get my own computer back and have time to really go through it thoroughly.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

ajrmoms, It's wonderful you lost a good amount of weight. You will reach your goal, keep up the good work!!.

I hope I didn't offend you or anyone when I said "its easy to lose weight, you just have to have the will power". I know people have thyroid problems, and its a little harder for them to lose weight because of this. Also I know there are people with lymphoma and other problems that cause them to gain weight. Gosh I just hope I didn't offend anyone. I just wrote it like that, didn't really think.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

lovelyme7!~

That's the nice thing about our community, noticing that you even might have offended anyone , made you post a pre-emptory apology.

I don't think anyone thought you were being offensive. But it's hard to always not be judgemental. It's in our nature, afterall... Not everyone can have walked in the other woman's shoes... . We only kinow what our experiences have been, and can't possibly imagine what other ladies struggle with, when our lives go easily.. or vice-a-versa.

So this is a community of support. And while it's nice that you apologized.. I don't think anyone thought you had to.

Val,

Forum Moderator.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tashablueyes,

I, too am a compulsive eater.. the old "it's not what you're eating.. it's what's eating you" thing.

I KNOW all about diet and exercise.. it's the compulsion to binge and the compulsive cravings that I can't control. There are emotional triggers that are overwhelming, and that I am working on identifying and satisfying in other ways. No way of "dieting" will work for me because it's NOT about the FOOD!!

Overeaters Annonymous was a great help to me (for awhile) It was a good support system, but I had a bad experience with a sponsor.

The whole addiction association about the food felt absolutely right to me, and cutting out the carbs helped me tremendously. I lost quite a bit of weight while doing OA, but then lost my "abstenence".

I'm doing cognitive and behavioral therapy now. I really believe if I can control the behavior that causes me to act compulsively..then the "diet" itself will be no big deal. It has never been about the food... When I'm happy and busy and feeling good about myself, I'm lnever binge-eating. I'm in control of the food, not the other way around. I feel good about me, and I'm making healthy choices. I totally loose my grip on reality when I'm eating compulsivly. It's like an out-of-body experience.. But there's no getting away from this body.. I wish there was.. but there's not.

So Tasha.. I know what you're talking about. Compulsive Eating Disorder is a real thing. It's listed in the Diagnostic Coding books. Doctors know about it. The ignorance of uneducated strangers shouldn't get you down.

You're not alone, It's not "a lack of will power". But it is a psychological dysfunction, and we have to find a cure...

I for one am not giving up yet... But I still dream of gastric by-pass being the magic fix... Oh well Maybe they'll invent a brain by-pass for folks like us! LOLOL!!

Val
Old 07-06-2004, 06:34 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yeah, it is frustrating and I do not know what to do... I have a gym membership, but they do not provide child care, and they are only open until 7:00 so it is hard to get there.

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 10-03-2010, 06:00 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

gstric bypass

I had gastric bypass (roux en y) surgery in Jan 2008. I was more than mentally prepared for it. I had been overweight most of my adult life. I became morbidly obese in 1990's . Lost weight regained etc. I had borderline hypertension, sleep apnea and was on CPAP. I had back pain, knee pain and feet pain. I was not enjoying life. I was also in a position where I was not doing what I expected my patients to do.
I went to program I chose and followed their guidlines and attended the mandatory 3 supportgroup meetings, saw the nutritionist and did lose some weight and kept a food diary.
I started the process in September and had surgery in january. I had minor complications imediately post op but I have never looked back. I weight 112 pound (I am 5feet tall) I lost 120 pounds. I have maintained now for over a year and had breast reduction and tummy tuck. I am anew person at the age of 55. I bike, hike, swim, boat, kayak you name itI do it.
If you are mentally prepared I say do it, if you are not then by all means do not do it.

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My mom had this done around a year ago, and she has done well. I agree their are lots of risks, in fact I had talked to the doctor about me having this done, but he was a very good honest doctor and told me that I was not a candidate for it he felt that due to other issues I have I would end up being one of the bad results. Which I respected and thanked him for his honesty. He has also told me that he would not do it, but that I could find a doctor that would do it (he said he highly discouraged this). My mom has lost over 80 pounds and due to other health issues she can't exercise like others can. There are a few things she can't eat now (like hamburgers) which based on several friends who have had this done (what your particular stomach will not tolerate can vary based on your body). The two others eat hamburgers no problem. NO COCONUT for any of them, doctor said this is bad for all people who have the surgery, and no more drinking with straws (puts too much air in your stomach). Here you also have to go through a rigerous process just to get approved for the surgery. It is not easy and a long and tedious process, plus like in my mom's case getting insurance to cover it is quite difficult and may make it more lengthy.