Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 02-09-2004, 04:46 AM

Ajrsmom-

What a good discussion to start up on this. My husband was severely overweight about 2 years ago and considered the gastric bypass, he was desperate. He weighed I believe 422 lbs. on a 5'9 frame. He had sleep apnea, congestive heart disease and dizziness alot. Our insurance would not pay for most of it, would pay for the surgery but not the group meetings before and after, some other things that you had to have to get the surgery. He decided instead to go back to a weight loss center he had success with before, it's local. He went on a plan called Optifast, you drink 5 Optifast shakes a day. No food, period. He lost 190 lbs. in a year. He only stayed on their plan for about 6 months, the rest was dieting. He rarely eats bread, cakes, pies, etc. no deep fried foods (we occassionally have french fries but their baked and at home). We gave up beef completely and about 2 X a year we have pork. Anyways, I kind of got off subject here: I have known several people who had the surgery and have dropped tremendous amounts of weight but I also see that they are exercising and eating properly, which is about 90% of what you have to do to loose weight in the first place. The diet my husband went on gave him the ability to jump start to doing the dieting and exercising. He has gained some weight back this winter but only 6 weeks of winter left then we'll be doing outside stuff again.... mowing, fishing, hiking, etc. so it'll drop back off and then some again. The whole key is to keep moving, stay away from the TV. The commercials lately have been horrible, pizza, pizza, pizza!!!

Anna
Old 02-09-2004, 11:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bariatric SurgeryŚwould You Consider It?

I have been checking into this myself lately. I work with 2 people that have recently had it done. The thing is if you are going to have it done you need to talk with someone that has had it done and research it thoroughly. Then if you decide to go on find a doctor that is experienced and does the surgery regularlly.
This surgery forces you to eat properly (from what I gather). For quite a while you cannot have sugar/carbs, or ever eat dense meats again. The most common complication for the open surgery is hernias. The most common complication for the laproscopic procedure is leakage and getting food stuck if you are not careful. The person I talked to had the 'lap' procedure and said she would do it again. But, she has to watch closely what she eats (no dense meats) and has to eat slowly and chew thoroughly to avoid the chance of food geting stuck (I heard of a case where someone tried to eat some chicken-chewed well,etc and had to have an Endoscopic procedure to remove the meat that got stuck.) I also talked with another who had the open procedure and now has a hernia and has to have more surgery. She had to have the surgery because of health problems. She is finally starting to feel some better but, has had a hard time also (how much was caused by her other health problems I don't know).
Old 06-26-2004, 08:55 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I also had considered the surgery. When I finally got up the nerve to check into it online I discovered that I am not heavy enough. THe sick thing is that I actually considered "fattening" myself up just to qualify. I also did other research and learned that I have an eating disorder. COmpulsive Eating. The thing is, while it is a recognized disease to some, other people think it is just an excuse to pig out all the time. Very depressing and hard to deal with. Honestly at this point I am only 24 years old 5'7 210 lbs and if I could somehow have liposuction, or a personal trainer and nutritionist or whatever I would do it. there is just really no help available, because people think being overweight is just laziness and gluttony. Very frustrating! I lost 30 lbs one and a half years ago by intense exercise and very particular eating along with Chitogenics. The thing is, I was exhausting myself along with taking Ephedra based drugs, and when I realized just how bad it was for me I stopped and regained the weight in 2 months. I am starting to feel like there is no hope!

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 06-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hang in there Tasha, I know it is very hard. I still love & think about food constantly It is something I still believe I have to change in my brain or I will gain it all back if I'm not careful.

the surgery is not a permanent fix, but a quick start on the right path if this if the path you choose, there are risks & some are quite serious. I am extremely lucky that I haven't had any complications. I feel so very much better, that It blows me away, when I think of what I can do this year that I couldn't do last year @ this time. I've lost 120lbs. I still have about 100lbs. to loose. but will be happy with about 60 to 80 more.

Old 07-03-2004, 07:56 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello. I'm not overweight. I just want to write about Bariatric Surgery. I have a sister-in-law that's a nurse. She has the floor that has the Bariatric patients. To be a candidate for this surgery, you must be at least 100lbs overweight. I think this surgery should be done for Health reasons and not for vanity. There are some people that are 50lbs overweight, and they purposely gain the extra weight to get this surgery. When the 50lbs can be lost with diet and exercise. Now some insurance companies don't cover this surgery unless its for health reasons. I've been overweight once in my life, and I lost 30lbs in two months with diet and exercise. It's not hard, all you have to do is have the will power to do it.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:48 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks for your opinion, it would be bad to actually attempt to gain the weight to get there, but it gets so frustrating , that sometimes it feels like there is no other option.

Last edited by tashablueyes; 07-03-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
When I started this thread, I was at my wits end on what I should do to lose all of the weight that had to lose.

My endo. doctor put me on Metformin>>>then kept increasing the dosage when I wasnt losing anything. At my last check-up he said that about my only option left was to have this surgery.

I started looking into the surgery and really considering having it done---yes, I had over 100 lbs to lose to be at their "weight chart" goals. The major stumbling block for me was the fact that there was always a chance that you wouldnt make it through the surgery or that you could possibly become handicapped from it. The thought of leaving my husband and 2 kids was just unacceptable to me.

I decided to take my like in my own hands and do some research to find another way to lose my weight.

I was tired of filling my body with medication that didnt seem to be helping this time---I did use Metformin to lose a little weight when I was having so much trouble conceiving my daughter. That seemed to work!! I took myself off of the Metformin this time.

I started the Atkins plan after reading all of the info. about it that I could get my hands on. I have PCOS and an underactive thyroid so losing weight is alot more than just having the willpower to do it.

Im happy to say that this was the greatest answer for me!!! I started Atkins on Mar. 22, 2004 and started at Curves on April 9, 2004......as of last week, Ive lost 45 lbs and 29 inches over my body!!! My cholesteral is at 164 now---was never high but it keeps getting lower!! Im planning on staying on this plan until I reach my weightloss goal and then switching to the South Beach diet plan for the rest of my life---SB is a little more forgiving.

I agree that gaining weight to have this surgery done is just absurd!! But to those who really need this surgery, it can be a lifefsaver not only in a physical health sense but also a mental health sense!!

Being very overweight is such a mental burden! It feels so good to be getting rid of this burden more and more each day!!

My advice to anyone looking to lose weight..... Do some thorough research different ways to lose weight. What is working for a friend or family member, might not work for you. Also, just because a certain program is popular right now ( such as low-carbing or have surgery) that doesnt mean it is right for you either.

Get to know your body and understand the problems that you are having. There is an answer out there for you but you have to be willing to look for it.

Dont forget to come to Family Corner for support!!! I am always here to lean on!!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-03-2004, 09:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by ajrsmom
I have PCOS and an underactive thyroid so losing weight is alot more than just having the willpower to do it.
Do those that sufer from PCOS usually have hypothyroidism too??

I don't have PCOS (at least not that I am aware), but I do have hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed at just 19 yrs of age. What aggravates me is that most people think that just taking your thyoid hormone replacement medicine solves everything and you should be skinny. :mad: If only it were that simple, I'd be a size 6/8 instead of a size ____ !!!!! ;-) ;-)
Old 07-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yeah, it is frustrating. I have an eating disorder called "Compulsive Eating" it sounds like a joke, but it is a true disorder, people recognize anorexia and bulimia, but to be a compulsive eater certainly MUST mean that you are just lazy and have no self control

Old 07-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Cindy, I dont know the stats on your question but I do know that my thyroid problems where a clue to looking for PCOS.

I was finally diagnosed with my thyroid at age 27--Im now 36 but it wasnt until I had my son that I was diagnosed with PCOS--- a lot of doctors were familiar with it up until last year really.

Here is a website that was really helpful to me:

www.soulcysters.com

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!