Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 12-03-2003, 07:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

weight loss supplements

has anyone ever used the products on the market containing ephedra. I have and they have helped me so much, especially with curbing appetite, and energy boosts. Well the sad news is they are taking products containing ephedra off the market. I was wondering if any of you have tried any other products?
I have tried the ephedra free tablets and they truly do not work.
Appreciate any feedback.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:49 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I lost 18 pounds with Leptoprin. It is also known as Anorex. You can buy it on eBay and some online pharmacies. I do believe it has Ephedrin in it though

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 12-06-2003, 08:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The most serious potential side effects of using ephedrine include: heart attack, stroke, seizures, psychosis and death. Many of the victims were young and healthy. A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found ephedrine poses "a serious health risk to some users" and has "no scientifically established benefits."

Ephedra and ephedrine are also sold in health food stores and online under a variety of brand names including Easy Trim, Advocare, Matabolite, Metabolite 356, Metab-Rx Ultar, Epitonin, Chinese Ephedra and Ripped Fuel. Products like these are not regulated by the FDA. Suppliers claim their products breakdown fat, build muscle and enhance athletic performance. Consumers are often not warned about potentially serious or even fatal side effects.

The dosage of ephedrine in "dietary supplements" can vary dramatically and dangerously. The FDA tried to prohibit the marketing of products containing 8 milligrams or more of ephedrine alkaloids per serving. It also wanted a warning label to inform consumers "Taking more than the recommended serving may result in heart attack, stroke, seizure or death." The FDA proposals were not adopted.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 12-08-2003, 07:13 AM
A Member of the Family

Who's this guy?
FamilyCorner Admirer

ephedra

Hi, I have just finished taking a 'Practical Herbalist' 10 month course and know that the secret to healthy weight loss is good healthy eating and exercise, also to eat within the first 1/2 hr. of getting up in the morning and small frequent meals instead of large ones...drink lots of water!
This is the first time I have replied, just joined this site, I happened on it while looking for some good soap recipes!
Take care, Alida

Your Herbal Connection!
Old 12-09-2003, 12:44 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

well i lost 20 lbs with Hydroxycut ephedra free u can buy it also online or Longs drugs
Old 12-13-2003, 08:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi MrsPaul

I'm a firm believer in Metabolife even though I gained weight while on it. LOL. I had enough energy to bake cookies, eat cookies and clean ceiling fans all at one time. Ha.
Even the manufactuer is unable to sell it now and on ebay I was lucky to find one bottle. Saw where three bottles sold for over $200. I've tried the ephedra free and it was a waste of time and money to me. I was still hungry and had no energy. Hopefully they'll put them back on the market soon. Meanwhile, I eat and sleep.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:31 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Darla I'm with you. I felt better while taking it, because I really could eat almost anything and never felt hungry.
My personal opinion which I don't think will help put it back on the market is that, we all know what works for us and what doesn't. If we take the supplements responsibly I don't see where the problem lies. I am wondering if some of the problems arose when people thought they would double up to speed up weight loss.
In this day in age we need the energy don't you think??
Diane
Thanks to all for sharing
Old 12-14-2003, 04:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

MrsPaul

I think a lot of the problem was that people with heart conditions and other problems were taking them and it clearly stated to not take them unless you ask your doctor. So when their heart messed up they just blamed it on the drugs instead of their stupidity. As you can probably tell I'm one that doesn't believe in suing a company because of a persons ignorance. I took however many I could without feeling bad. It says eight a day on metabolife and normally four or five was more than plenty for me. I think some people also used them as a way of staying awake instead of their intended purpose. Yes, I did that at times.
I do hope they put them back on the market but it's going to be awhile before they do. There is a letter you can send and it's listed on Metabolife.com. I've sent mine.
Had I quit eating when I wasn't hungry I would have lost a lot of weight on them but I'm one that eats and will say I'm starving even if I'm not. I had to put down my M&M's so I could type this. LOL. Wonder if dinner's ready........
Old 04-19-2004, 03:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I saw this post and I know its been a long time since anyone has posted, but I agree with you guys totally!! I miss the ephedra products so bad! Since I am no longer able to buy ephedra products (I used to take Ripped Fuel) I have gained 10 lbs! While trying to loose 30 lol. I loved to be able to take 2 pills with my cup of tea in the morning when I couldnt drag myself out of bed (not a morning person).. and I was very responsible while taking them.. ya know, they have warnings on cigarettes and alcohol too but they are still on the market and people with lung cancer continue to smoke, and people with scerosis continue to drink! I know people first hand! I dont agree at all with them taking this product off the market and I am going to that website and write a letter too!
Old 04-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Do you all really believe that the FDA would remove a product that was good for you? Think about it....

Ephedra has been proven dangerous and addictive.... Why would you want to take something that is so harmful? Why not just cut your calories and increase your activity? There is no fast cure for the weight you gained. It took time to put it on, and it takes just as long to take it off....it takes work. There is no magic pill.....

When you stop taking it you gain back what you lost and then some ....it affects every part of you...

Read everything at this site....and if you still think that ephedra is good for you, then I don't know what else to say....

http://www.ephedrineaddiction.homestead.com/

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."