Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 09-20-2002, 01:39 PM

dieting

Hi Everyone-

I'm new to this thread, sounds like everybody is doing great. I have been seriously dieting since June when I found out I was diabetic. Strange but at the same time my husband had decided he really needed to loose weight, had sleep apnea, dizziness, couldn't get around without shortness of breath he was 421 lbs. and went to a medically supervised weight loss clinic where he went on Optifast-you don't eat food, period. He changed to 200 cal a day after a few weeks because he was so grumpy and life got alot better. We have been dieting and doing things together outside the house to get away from the TV and all those fast food commercials, you really notice them when your not allowed to have them. So far with me just dieting normally I've lost 25 lbs. and hubby has lost 100 as of today I need to lose another 80 lbs. he needs to lose at least another 70 lbs. so we have a ways to go yet but since we have started loosing the weight we have more energy and are able to go farther- we walk in the parks, in the mall, go fishing and just try to stay occupied instead of being couch potatoes. I'm glad to find others who are in the same boat as us.

Have a good weekend ladies and good luck

Anna In Ohio

Go Bucks

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 09-20-2002 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:56 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

About me

HI,

I am currently 215 lbs which is big for me , I have always been overweight, and I am officially sick of it! I went from 185 lbs (which felt huge to me at the time) to over 200 after my daughter was born, and this was mostly gained in the year that I stayed home with her, not while I was pregnant! ANyway, my goal right now is to lose 40 lbs because that will take me back down to the weight that I was in high school, and again, I felt huge at the time, but I would give anything to be that size again. After that , if things are going well, I will be more concerned with clothing sizes than with weight. I wanna go to a regular store and buy my clothes in the regular section. No more plus sizes. Maybe this is a lofty goal, but I'm gonna try.

For now I have just joined Curves, so I am going to try that for this month, and see where I get, and after that I am going to start up with a somewhat modified Atkins diet (as there are three other people in the house who are picky eaters)

So that's me.

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 01-29-2004, 08:08 AM

Welcome Aboard Tasha-

This thread hasn't had alot of activity lately but feel free to post and I will try to help you in anyway I can, as well as the moderator of this forum who is "Lifestar". Losing weight isn't easy, I still haven't reached my goal of loosing the 80 lbs. but I have managed to keep the weight I lost off and don't follow any for want of a better word, "fad" diets out there. We have given up beef and pork and try to stay away from junk foods. It's a little easier for us I'm sure since we don't have children in our home. The only suggestions I can make is try to trim back on fatty meats and try some of the vegetarian foods out there like Morningstar and Boca, say for example the family is having cheeseburgers, go ahead and make theirs but have a Boca cheeseburger for yourself. Hope This Helps.

Anna
Old 01-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

That's a good idea, I will have to remember that. The other thing is money, since I am a full time student, our grocery budget it pathetically low these days, and things like hamburger and potatoes are cheap, so we eat a lot of those, and I know that is not good for dieting at all! When I graduate this summer, I will be buying much leaner meats and tons of fresh produce.

Old 01-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm trying Somersizing and it seems to work good. Lost 15# back and forth-even over Christmas Got another 50# to go until I'm happy.
I was 115# in high school (at 5' 10"), but after 2 kids that really isn't realistic for me now.
I've done research on many other diets or life changes and I am a type of person who has such a hard time counting calories or carbs or fat content etc. Thats why I chose SS, no adhering to strict phases or counting-just seems more relaxed in the approach.
Dh seems happy to be getting more home cooked meals and even admitted that he doesn't seem to be eating as much because the food fills him up more.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that Dh has high blood pressure. Anybody out there had some issues with this? I usually cut way down on the amt of salt I use.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well I have been on my diet for 3 weeks now and have lost 13 pounds. And have tons more energy. I still have a ways to go but I am in no hurry. It is sort of the Atkins. I limit myself to 20 to 25 carbs a day. But there are tons of things out there to eat. a friend of mine lost 28 pounds in the first two weeks but she followed it by the book. I am happy with what I have lost. My goal is just to lose weight. I don't know how much I want to lose yet. I never really thought about it. I have already lost a pant size. I weigh myself every WED. . Never in between. I was starting to worry about the scale then I was about what was going on around me. And I keep track of how many carbs I eat in the day. Good luck all.
Emmalee
Old 02-02-2004, 05:32 AM

High Blood Pressure & Dieting

LJSMOM-

I have high blood pressure and it is something you have to watch carefully, especially if recently diagnosed. I'm not familiar with Somersizing, but I do know there are things to watch for with any diet. Soda has 35 mg sodium per can. High Blood Pressure should be limited to 2000 mg sodium per day according to the dietician I saw when my dh had congestive heart failure several years ago. Watch out for processed foods, those are the absolute worst. Even those proclaiming to be healthy such as Weight Watchers, Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice, all have whopping amounts of sodium in them! Same with canned veggies unless they say salt free or low sodium. We only eat fresh or frozen veggies which have low or no sodium in them.
Hope this helps.

Anna
Old 02-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Atkins

Hi, so my sister talked me into doing the full blown Atkins thing to help her get through it, I have committed myself to the full 2 weeks of the induction period, (the hard part) we will see how that goes, and if it works, then i will go on to the next phase.

My mother and father in law started Atkins over a year ago and she has lost over 75 lbs and he has lost somewhere around 50. But they both look and feel awesome, I was so impressed! Also, he is diabetic and was taking large doses of insulin, but within the first couple of weeks he tapered that off and does not even need it anymore!!! They plan to continue with the Atkins lifestyle for the rest of their lives. And once you get through the first stages of it, it really just comes down to eating the way you knew you should have in the first place.

ANyway, it has also been proven to LOWER bad cholesterol, so heck, that can't hurt either!

Old 02-02-2004, 10:15 AM

I should clarify on my earlier posts, we don't just eat vegetables but those type of veggies listed earlier:p

Atkins- I've heard pro's and con's seen several people here in my office on and off it, it does seem to work but sticking with it seems to be the hard part.

I would like to mention, whatever diet plan you are on.... I strongly suggest talking with your doctor to make sure it's workable with him and see a doctor often. My dh lost 190 lbs. but he went to a doctor every single week, they did ekg's every other week, blood work too and weigh in's and he talked with a dietician every week. It wasn't cheap, over $2000 but so worth it.

Anna
Old 02-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Anna,
Thanks for the info. I've been looking at labels for years and SUPRISE dh is suddenly interested in them too ever since his friend had to have angioplasty at age 42. Put a friendly scare into him for sure.

Somersizing advocates natural foods, whole grains etc. and never to buy processed (recognizing that sometimes you have to). Aspertame in things is also a big no-no...there goes the soda! Sorry but everyonce in awhile I have to have a pepsi-one.

The recipes are suprisingly easy and most can be made from easy to find ingredients; take less than 30 min. most of them too. I'm loving the taste difference in our foods. Never will I get regular tortillas again, only the whole wheat ones-what a difference.

Unlike Atkins you can eat carbs but only good ones. Dieticians will tell you that completely eliminating one thing can dangerous.