I lost 20 lbs. from swimming

• Hi, I'm 17 years old and 5'2". I also weigh 170 right now. That took a LOT of effort...I used to weigh 180 lbs. and I felt horrible. I felt fat, and it wasn't that I thought people were talking about me and calling me fat and stuff, it was just that I didn't feel very good about myself. I looked down at my stomach and I felt like I was sticking out and my thighs rub together and I just feel gross. Well, my friend suggested I start swimming (not to lose weight, but she was a swimmer and she wanted me to do it too) and my whole family, even extended, kept bugging and bugging me about it. Finally I gave in and joined last summer. I am so glad I did, I got obsessed and I throughly enjoy it. Anyway, I lost 20 lbs and I felt so much better about myself. But I gained some back, and I'm like "NO!!! STAY AWAY!" and I'm swimming again this summer. I also will be in Marching Band and I will be walking everyday, I have given up pop and started drinking tons and tons of water. My goal is to lose another 20 lbs. I think I might between walking, swimming, and marching band, I will. I will keep you updated on that. Does anybody have any more ideas?
  • Hello. I'm 20 yrs old. At age 16, I was 150lbs I was only 5'2. So I was thick. I decided to lose weight, and I lost 30lbs in two months with diet and exercise. You lost weight with swimming, congratulations! You gained some weight back because the swimming season ended in High School? I think you should still swim even though the season has ended. Like going to a pool at the YMCA, or another pool and do laps everyday or every other day. Also eat healthy, fruits, veggies, etc. And cutting the pop was a good idea. Study shows if you drink pop everyday for a year, you'll gain 10lbs. Well good luck on losing more weight. You can do it!!
  • swimming the best exercise
    Good to hear that, and it's also true that swimming is often touted as the best form of exercise for weight loss. And when you think about it, it seems to make sense. After all, swimming uses almost all of your major muscle groups. It places a vigorous demand on your heart and lungs. Swimming is also popular with people who are extremely overweight, pregnant, or suffering from some kind of injury.
  • Swimming is wonderful for weight loss as it burns something like 600 cals an hour. But don't be fooled by an increase in appetite because the cooling effect of the water might make it seem like you're hungry but you're really just cold. Swimming is also, like Harry said, really great for those who need some gravity relief. Even walking in water is good exercise. Keep tabs on your heart rate though.
  • That is a great effort. Well done and keep it up.