Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 02-17-2003, 07:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

just wondering.......

My hubby needs to lose some weight, but I know he isn't going to go back a diet. So is there any software or websites, that help you work out a diet using foods you already like.

I do the cooking. And he takes leftovers to work for lunch. And we don't do alot of snacking.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-08-2003, 10:47 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

I wouldn't call it a diet to begin with.

Small portions of meat, potatos, pasta and bigger portions of veggies and fruits.

Try cutting out sugar too - when cooking/baking try using an Equal type sugar.

Can you guys go for a walk in the evening?

Try to drink more water - put some lemon or lime in it.

Try using fat free or low fat subs and increasing the spices in dishes.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:48 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh check out the other threads on this site.

There are plenty of threads; check out the food section.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

there are other sites like e-diets, weight watchers and epicurios also food tv (which has a program specifically for low fat eating without taking away what he likes) try these sites i go there quite abit. betty crooker also has a neat site.
robin
Old 03-09-2003, 12:50 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I love Calorieking.com
You can make your own menu or use theirs.
It is great.
Good luck, Teresa
Old 03-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Most doctors will tell you that diet alone will not make the weight come off. Some form of exercise is needed. I hope you find a internet program to help you design a diet you like. A dietitian can help you with that and most insurance companies pay for that if it is part of a total weight loss program.
After your husband eats the nutritious lunch you pack for him, he should take a walk. When I worked, I used to walk with one to 3 others and we enjoyed our time out of the office, twice a day on our 15 min. breaks, and after eating for the rest of our lunch hour.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

portion size

If youre cooking and packing his lunch, you can control his portion size. Lots of people arent aware of how much a serving size really is. Example, a serving of steak, is only as big as your fist. Most people have a steak 2 or 3 times this size. Same with cereal, really measure it out. If you could cook healthy, lowfat milk, sub. sugar, veggies, minimum gravy, potatoes, etc..., lots of water, and some walks like mentioned before, he should trim down. And he may not even know it!! I do know some people on the weight watchers points diet, and they eat most everything they like, but are counting points, and loosing weight. They do not go hungry! Good luck to your hubby. ITs a tough thing trying to take weight off. I think weve all been through it.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

It's hard for us to suggest anything when you haven't told us what hubby LIKES and will eat. Will he eat veggies? Is he a meat-n-potatoes man? What will he say he can't live without?

How I Helped Hubby Lose 150 lb.:
http://stores.yahoo.com/carbsmart/steveflorida.html

Rani
Old 03-09-2003, 02:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi there!
I've tried Weight Watchers, Slim-Fast, and low fat eating. nothing really worked until I started Dr. Atkins (low carb, high protein) I lost 10 pounds in 10 days and I'm still going strong.
You will hear negative things about this diet, but I urge you not to make up your mind until you have read the book. The things he says really do make sense, and they absolutely work for me.
I guess it will depend mostly on what your husband likes to eat, but considering this is a high protein diet, you can eat all meats, all types of poultry and fish, eggs and cheese. You also eat certain veggies. Out is most dairy, sugar, carbs, fruit (for the first bit) and caffiene. Sounds tough, but it's not that bad. This is the only diet I was never hungry on. The only thing about it is that for the first stage of the diet (minimum of two weeks) it is quite limiting.
Good luck to both of you.
Stacey
Old 03-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have to agree with Stacey. I'm not on Atkins but I am diabetic and when first diagnosed cut way back on carbs and counted sugar grams as well. I was diagnosed in March 2 years ago and by June of that same year had lost 42 pounds.

As for exercise, my nutritionist advised me that by simply increasing my movement I would help burn calories. I had been fairly sedentary up to that point so she said hanging clothes outside was actually exercise for me. It worked too. I love hanging clothes outside so I really went at it then.

Good luck. Yes it is possible to count carb and sugar grams for him. It's all in reading labels and portion control.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member