Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 01-05-2003, 04:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question what should i do?

im 14 years old and i weigh 160lbs. i used to weigh 180 and i had lost 20lbs during the summer. i want to lose more weight but my mom says that i look ok the way i am. she says that i dont look fat but i think im fat still. what should i do?
Old 01-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Establish healthy eating habits now. Get some form of exercise every day. Realize that you are still growing and your body will change alot over the next few years. Concentrate as hard as you can on being healthy, not skinny. Healthy will take you much further, much longer than skinny will.

Best of luck to you.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi there :p

When I was in my teens I was overweight and very unhappy with myself because everyone else I went to school with was "skinny". But as I grew older I realized I wasn't overweight for my body frame (which isn't thin) and I started to like who I was. You need to be happy with yourself and who you are. It is especially difficult in your teen years. But trust me, it will get easier. You need to make decisions for yourself. If you feel you would be a happier person losing more weight, then by all means go for it. But DO NOT diet. Go for walks, eat fruits and veggies for snacks instead of chips, etc., but do not go overboard, just be more health conscious. But don't try to get to a certain weight, get to a point where you are happy with yourself. Congratulations on losing the 20lbs!!! And I am wishing you the best of luck in whatever you choose!!!

Janele
Old 01-19-2003, 06:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

You didn't mention how tall you are. If you are 5'2" then 160 would be too heavy, but if you are 5'9" you are probably okay. The main thing is not to lose weight with fads or by taking pills because you will gain it back as soon as you stop, and they may be harmful. It is best to eat healthy food, not hamburgers and fries or chips, etc., and get plenty of exercise. Lose weight gradually, if you need to lose.

"Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands." ~Anne Frank
Old 01-19-2003, 06:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

If this is a possibility, check into Weight Watchers. It is a wonderful program. It gives you all the tools to learn healthy eating habits, portion control, tips and techniques to make losing weigh easier. It will not be a "diet" but a lifestyle change. And good luck, it is great to learn to be healthy at your age, just wish I had done this, instead, I am battling a weight issue !
Old 01-19-2003, 07:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Joining Weight Watchers is a good idea. Your Mother could probably come with you. They stress exercise and proper eating. Exercise is the one ingredient people leave out when dieting. They will provide you with a weight chart which is good, has a range of weight for your height.
Congratulations for wanting to get healthy. You could also join a sports team, running, track, vollyball, basketball, at school which would give you a lot of exercise. My favorite exercise is walking, not fast, just at a comfortable pace. I once lost 4 dress sizes in 6 weeks walking 2 miles every night, not fast, not taking my pulse, etc, just walking every night at 7PM. Now, they say that walking slowly burns more fat. It sure did for me. I also enjoyed joining the "Y" and using the Nautilus machines. I went early in the morning and saw people twice my age doing the exercises. That convinced me that it was a good idea.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing on whichever diet or exercise program you choose.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:12 AM
New Neighbor
FamilyCorner Newbie

young weight loss

As anyone with kids can tell you, right before a growth spurt, a kid will put on weight. I watched it with my own babies. They would go from slender to butterball within a short time, then they would grow like weeds and be slender again.

At 14 years old, you're getting ready for a big growth spurt. I honestly believe that if i hadnt started dieting at 10 years old, i wouldnt have a weight problem today. If you start restricting calories now, just when your growing body needs them the most, your body is going to fight it, by lowering your metabolism, and getting very efficient at extracting calories from the food you eat and storing every one of them.

Dont worry about the scale while you're growing. Eat a healthy, well balanced diet, and get lots of fresh air and exercise, and you'll be fine.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hey Cinderella

I Love your name!

What no one has mentioned so far, and what I think is the MOST important and VERY first thing you have to do is....

Ask your doctor if you are over-weight or not!

Moms ALWAYS think you're georgeous... girlfriends ALWAYS
think you're fat... Guys..well that depends on the guy ...

But - a doctor will give you an HONEST answer. If you need to loose weight the doc will let you know, and then Yup, I agree, Weight Watchers has a great Teen Program. Joining a gym, or hooking up with a sport program is good too.

Now, if the doc sais your weight is good..then just stick to the gym or a sports (or dance or karate etc.) ...you know... get active to get the weight you've got into better looking shape!

But remember...muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue (it's a matter of mass) ... so... even though you will LOOSE INCHES... you will GAIN POUNDS as you exercise.

(Pay attention to the tape measure and the mirror..NOT the scale!!!!)

Have fun in your skin, no matter what shape it's in. Your attitude and your smile is what people remember most about you.

Val
Old 01-19-2003, 11:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Open letter to Cinderella...

Yeah, Julie and Leagh!
14 is too young to worry about the pounds on a scale. Instead think about how healthy you feel. I watched most of the people around me worry about weight all the time I was growing up and the ones who checked their weight the most had the worst problem with it. I never bought a scale. I have never had what I consider a problem with my weight - (except for people kidding me about being too skinny). I have been thirty pounds overweight and I have been underweight, but I think the problem is more with people's preoccupation with their weight. I might check my weight every couple of years but I won't think about it - unless I start to feel like I have less energy or feel that my body is harder to move around. Then I check my sleep, what types of foods I have been eating, and what is stressing me. Sleep is very important because you will, at least I will, eat just to keep myself awake. And I make the most poor judgements on what to eat when I am tired!
I have a 14 year old daughter. Three years ago I was really worried about her body shape. She weighed almost the same as me at 11 and had no waist. Well, what do you know. Now she weighs the same as she did then, she has a gorgeous waist, a figure I am envious of and is about five inches taller. I am so proud of her! I always told her I was not worried about her and that things would work out, (even when I was worried). She has wonderful self-control and chooses good foods. We talk a lot about why I choose to cook different foods and what nutrients are in them. Three years ago our food fad was broccoli! Now we are into sweet potatoes and different bean dips. I choose not to have certain foods in the house except for parties (eg, crackers, chips, pop, chocolate bars, store bought cookies, anything with processed vegetable oils). If they are in the house we will end up eating them!
I want you to hear my daughters success story so you know that it is possible to make healthy choices without becoming paranoid about a machine which will most certainly affect your self-confidence.
Your mother loves you. I'm sure she will help you. Discuss together what healthy things you want her to buy when she does the family grocery shopping. Find friends who love the person you are. Bodies constantly change. People constantly make 'mistakes'. Love yourself and enjoy your adventure into learning what changes make you feel better. -All the best,
JG
Old 01-19-2003, 08:48 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Atkins

I went from a size 22 to a 14 in about 4 months by doing Atkins. My 12 yr/old son lost 2 pant sizes in 3 weeks. You can be successful with Atkins and it isn't hard to do, and they've 'discovered' that this way of eating is good for you. Check it out at atkinscenter.com.