Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 12-19-2002, 08:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Addicted to Sugar!

I need help. I can live on sugar and it makes me go crazy but I eat it anyway. I'm like a football - fat in the middle! I know sugar is a drug but Betty Ford won't take me and help me get off of it so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Telling me to just stop eating it isn't enough. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky Welcome to my world!

Darla,
I know exactly what you are talking about. I too and addicted to sugar. Sugar is an addictive substance, just like alcohol. Actually they both are sugar! My problem is once I have sugar in any form, white sugar, brown sugar, white flour, fructose, dextrine.. or any of the million other ways there is so much sugar in the average American diet, I tried and tried with the help of my doctor to kick the sugar binges. But, I was addicted to the crap! It was insane. then I found Overeaters Anonymous. It really is a life saver. If for no other reason, but to talk to other people that have the same problem with sugar that I do. There is a web site. www.overeatersanonymous.org Look and see if there is a meeting near you. those people will help you. They helped me.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Bellasmom,

I'm addicted to the sugar but not overweight. Do you think they'd get offended if I showed up to one of their meetings?
I was in one forum and when they found out that I only weigh 115 they asked me leave the forum even though it was about people addicted to sugar. I move around so much that I work it off just doing the housework I guess but I have gained 22 pounds in the past year. I'm 42 so I've got to get it under control before the old metabolisim quits working and it all catches up with me. Ugh, I dread the day I get older..........
Old 02-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

No Way!

There are people in those rooms in all states of weight loss, some, (bulimic or anorexic) in weight gain. Most people are thin. Just because a person might be at goal weight doesn't mean that their addiction is over!
Old 02-11-2003, 02:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Great! I just didn't want to go through having someone else ask me to leave. That was a horrible feeling.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am sure it was a horrible feeling. The great thing about OA is that it's focus is getting past the food, and sugar to a fuller living experience.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Until I was around 40 I didn't care for sugar that much and the past two years I was diagnosed with depression and it seems like the sugar cravings and the depression started about the same time so I was left to wonder if maybe the sugar had something to do with it. Seems like I'm eating more and more of it though.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

For me it is a vicios cycle. I eat because I am upset, and then I am upset because I ate. :mad:
Old 02-12-2003, 06:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Oooohhhhh, I know all too well what you mean. If I'm upset I go for the sweets or if I'm just bored.
I have gotten my husband to where he'll eat more baked chicken for dinner so that helps me but it's after dinner when I'm sitting here and he's asleep that I suddenly want more sweets. Husband doesn't need to lose any weight. What's up with men? They eat what they want and still have that washboard stomach. Makes me so mad.
I read one post where a woman would brush her teeth if she wanted to eat something she wasn't suppose to so I tried that. Didn't work. I figured I could always just brush my teeth after I ate it. LOL. This is hard.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:38 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I was recently diagnosed with Insulin Resistance so naturally I was addicted but I finally kicked the habit. If you are really serious about kicking the habit there is a wonderful book called the Insulin Resistance Diet. It teaches you how to control your sugar. You also can lose weight along in the process. It was so terrible at one point that I would eat like a bag of candy all day long for all of my meals because I didn't want anything else. I tried to stop the sugar even when I was pregnant and I still couldn't. It has now been a year after my son's birth and I finally have the sugar finally under control. I also think that sugar has something to do with emotions. I had flashbacks from my childhood that I think triggered my terrible sugar attacks, my point being if you are really struggling and you just eat sugar and don't even realize it then there is more than likely you have some underlying emotion that you haven't dealt with. For some of us eating sugar is a way of "stuffing" our problems down so that we may be able to "forget" about whatever may be troubling in our life. I hope that this may help some of you. It certainly helped me!!! Good luck in all of your battles!