Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 06-30-2003, 08:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hello

Darla,

I posted a new thread instead of a reply. Sorry, I am new at this! If you could take some time and read it, I think it might help!

S.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Sherry

Glad to hear from someone that's kicked the sugar addiction! Thanks for the info on the book, I'll go out and look for it today.
Did you automatically lose weight when you got off the sugar? I bet you feel so much better.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Darla,

I have just begun this. I am working hard at it though. I have only lost 3 pounds. My best friend however, lost 35 pounds in les than 2 months and has broke her sugar addiction. She is my inspiration. I have 40 lbs to lose....well, 38 now!!
I do feel better. The first couple of days you feel a bit lethargic, but that passes. I am just determined....so I am sure it will work!
I am glad you are going to buy the book. It is awesome!
I am a Registered nurse, so I can easily see how cutting carbs and doing strictly protein is beneficial.
Take care Darla!!!

Sherry
Old 06-30-2003, 12:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I never wanted anything sweet until about two years ago when I suddenly became depressed. Ever since it's been a sugar diet for me. I've got about ten pounds I'd like to lose so I can get back into my clothes. Ugh, dread buying new ones in a bigger size.
I'm going to try it. I didn't find the book but my husband said he'd stop at Barron's and get it on his way home for me. Might not have the sugar thing down pat but thank God my husband's trained. LMAO!
Old 08-21-2003, 06:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sugar blues!

Darla, I truly understand where you are - I'm there too! My biggest problem is night-time eating...after the kids are in bed.
It's SOOO hard not to just let go and eat once they're settled...mindless munching and TV watching!!

I find that it's harder when I'm PMS'ed...easier when I am not.
I also find that if I avoid sugar after dinner (yes, it means no sugary desserts or night-time snacks!!!) I feel so much better the next day...and it just gets easier every day. I am 35, and I know my metabolism isn't what it used to be!! But I find that if I stay active I can "get away" with eating a few treats during the day as long as I DON'T EAT THEM AT NIGHT!!!

Try for a few days to avoid sugary night-time eating, and eat your healthy dinner no later than 7 pm. It works for me!

One reason night-time eating sets you up for failure is that the
surge of sugar that you eat causes an increase in insulin production, which causes the calories to be stored quickly as fat. Then, the next day when the insulin levels go down again, you experience MORE hunger and craving for sugar, because your body thinks it might get another big surge of sugary food.

Eating balanced meals with protein throughout the day keeps these insulin levels steady, and you experience less and less craving for sugar. God bless.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Junebug68

See I don't have trouble with sugar at night. Mine's during the day. My metabolism didn't slow down until I was 42 so this past year has been a hard one for me. I feel lucky that I'm still a size three but still, I'm not comfortable at all. I wake up wanting sugar and eat sweets all day long and then around four I don't want any more, husband comes home, we have dinner and then I'm busy cleaning so I don't have time to even think about eating. I do miss living alone because I'd go home from work and not eat at all and I had so much energy and felt wonderful. Ah, the good old days.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:38 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sugar ups and downs

Hello, all! I am a normal-weight person, mother of two little ones...but I have struggled with sugar ups and downs since my teens. I go up and down 5 or so pounds every year (thinner in summer, heavier in winter). I definitely am a night-time closet sugar eater.

My issue is that I've been to "Anonymous" support groups and they encourage you to go off sugar, wheat and flour, eat only three regular meals a day, and NOTHING in between. I attended the group for 6 months last year and dropped out, mainly because I got judgmental attitudes from people there. It's a shame, because there's a lot of good going on in the meetings...but I just can't (don't want to??) be restricted to only eating at a certain time each day. I don't do well when I get overly hungry, and six hours between meals is too much for me.
Plus, with little kids needing to eat and drink between meals, it's tough.

I'm just looking for a little support out there...right now I've been trying to keep no candy or sweets in the house....nothing that triggers me to "Binge."

God bless you all out there....
Old 09-17-2003, 08:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Junebug68

I've done the same thing and taken all the sugar and stuff out of the house. A dozen times. Going to the grocery store is what's hardest for me. They have these soft sugar cookies with icing on them and it takes all I've got to walk past them. Ugh. I'm the same way you are, not overweight but am worrying that if I don't take care of myself now I will be and I'm sure I'm older than you are so it's hard.

Do you do any exercising? I don't. Getting up from the couch and coming in here is pretty much it for today. Yesterday I did work in the yard most of the day but still, when I hit 42 it's like everything I had ever eaten in my life caught up with me. I swear I tried to run!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 01:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Finally!

I don't have it licked or anything but it's been two weeks and three days since I've had any sugar. I eat bacon in the mornings (every morning) no carbs in that, peanut butter for snacks (health food store/no sugar), boiled eggs and salads. I feel horrible! Wonder how long before I start to feel good.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Darla--

I'm pulling for ya! you can do it! Don't let sugar overpower you...you are the one in control....