Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 10-02-2002, 10:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Success with this medication

OK ... for years, everytime I went to the doctor, I was offered "diet pills," but I always turned them down. I never wanted to take anything that was a "stimulant" or that was addictive. I thought I would just continue to be overweight and struggle with diets. Until 08/02 ... my doctor recommended the medication "Wellbutrin." Originally developed to treat depression, the major side effect in clinical trials was weight loss. Trial participants lost "addictive" behaviors such as cravings for food, alcohol and cigarettes. I was skeptical, but it doesn't have any stimulant and it's not addictive, so I decided to give it a go. Seven weeks and 20 lbs. later, I can honestly say that it's been a HUGE improvement for me. It literally takes my appetite away. I don't even think about eating until my tummy growls (which, by the way, is only ONCE A DAY). I am already 1/3 into my goal loss and it's not even been 2 months. Ask your doctor if you are a candidate ... 2 other ladies I know have gone on it since I have and they're having tremendous results, as well. The only side effect is that you have nausea for about 4-5 days until your system adapts. Other than that, you're thirsty.

As a side note: my doctor did take me off of aspartame because I had such severe issues with vertigo and headaches. I have had to take meds for headaches only 3 times in the past 2 months. I used to take Tylenol or Advil 1-2 times a day for the headaches. If you're experiencing these things during weight loss, consider trying to opt-out of diet drinks (and all things aspartame). You may be surprised at the health benefits. I'm not "anti-aspartame," but I can definitely tell you that it's made a WORLD of difference in how I feel in general )
Old 10-02-2002, 11:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wellbutrin

Hello. I had heard that you could lose weight, but I didn't lose any weight on it at all. Bummer for me, great for you. Perhaps you're losing weight because you were really depressed which made you overeat and now that Wellbutrin is addresssing the depression, you're happier and not as apt to overeat? Just a thought....
Old 10-07-2002, 07:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Being someone to rarely rule-out things automatically, I'd say that's a possibility. Anything's a possibility. I do know that the other 2 ladies are having success ... perhaps, we've all be depressed. Who knows? I'm just glad it's working ... for all of us!
Old 10-07-2002, 08:33 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wellbutrin

After all this talk about food, depression, etc., I've decided that I need to go back on it. Maybe the 2nd times the charm for weight loss on Wellbutrin. I'll be on the Wellbutrin SR because I had problems with the other non-sustained release variety.

Do you have any problems sleeping with Wellbutrin? I can't remember that far back. I know that I had problems with some of the other antidepressants.

Let me know.

Take care,
Old 10-07-2002, 08:39 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sleeping with Wellbutrin

Nope, no problems. Actually, I've found that where I used to stay up until 10:30-11:30 on weeknights and have trouble getting up at 5:45 every morning, I now go to bed around 10:00 and am up at 4:50/5:00 -- without an alarm clock. My hours in sleep have been much more restful -- I am no longer waking up tired and going through the day like a zombie. My energy level really kicked-up, too. Both of the other ladies I have mentioned have had a big increase in energy and haven't had issues with their sleep. I'm not sure whether sleep deprivation is one of the "side effects" listed or not? As we know, everybody reacts differently, so I hope you have the same success I have had (in every area).

A side note: I went shopping this weekend. I bought clothes 2 sizes smaller than I was wearing before I began )
Old 10-07-2002, 03:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sleep problems

I can't wait to try it again! I am the walking dead - everyone who meets me says, "Wow, you look tired!" Gee, thanks.

Congratuations on getting into clothes 2 sizes smaller. That's big, I mean little! What an accomplishment! If I lost 2 sizes, I'd be done trying but as we all know, once you lose the weight, that's when the real work begins to not gain it all back again.

I had lost all this weight before and when I went on Paxil, I gained it all back plus a few lbs., and then I got pregnant two more times so the extra weight is still there. I'm not enormous or anything, but I used to be very, very thin so when I look in the mirror, I just can't believe it's the same person. I know that when I was very thin, I wasn't happy, and I would never expect to be there again, but I would enjoy two sizes smaller.

This week I am going to only focus on not eating in the evenings and increasing my water intake. I always do great with water in the summer (and it's been feeling like summer now), but when winter hits and it's 60 degrees, I just don't feel like getting colder with water.

Anyway, good job on your continued success. I will be joining you soon!
Old 11-28-2002, 04:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

zoloft

does anyone have any idea about zoloft i just started and i dont want to gain weight i love my 120lbs if i were to gain i would be more depresed can youngive me any help with this matter.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:37 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Zoloft

I do have a past with Zoloft but was on it such a short time that it didn't do anything to me. My mom, however, was on it for over a year and gained 30 lbs! She said she felt her best on Zoloft, though.

Nowadays, there are too many anti-depressants that don't cause weight gain. I'm on one now called Lexapro and there's another one called Effexor. Lexapro has been very good for me and there's not been any weight gain. In fact, I lost weight at the beginning and I had a lot of energy. Its only real troublesome side effect was insomnia for about 3 weeks but since I was already dealing with really bad insomnia, it didn't bother me as much as it might bother someone who had never had insomnia.
Now, though, I can sleep very well.

I'm not sure if everyone has all the same side effects with every medication. I know that my mom gained all that weight (and then lost it all over again the second it was out of her system).

Anyway, good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:10 PM
BoggsZ

Hi everyone I took Wellbutrin about 4yrs ago to help me quit smoking and it worked Great but I gained weight but I had already quit taking the meds when I started gaining weight if I would have know wellbutrin was a good for weight loss I wouldn't have thrown away my perscription oh well maybe I can get the Doc to give it to me again and try It for weight loss it worked the first time maybe it will work again.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Wellbutrin and Zoloft

I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth on antidepressants and wt loss. I personally have been on both Zoloft and Celexa (Laxapro)for depression and was able to lose 10-20 gradually while on both (over a period of 1 yr). Since I went off the meds I have since gained 22 lbs in 5 months. I am no longer depressed and refuse to go back on meds to keep my weight down but it is tempting. The experience I have had with Wellbutrin is the opposite of what I hear you all describing. My MIL and 2 friends have been on it and all of them have gained 30 plus lbs each. One of the manufacturers described side effects is increased appetite and wt gain. I guess it varies with each person. If you are on it for anxiety or depression and wt loss is a side effect good for you but it is a serious drug and shouldn't be used for wt loss alone. (my MD said that!)
Good luck and get it movin"