Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 12-31-2003, 05:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by momjacks
As a side note: my doctor did take me off of aspartame because I had such severe issues with vertigo and headaches. I have had to take meds for headaches only 3 times in the past 2 months. I used to take Tylenol or Advil 1-2 times a day for the headaches. If you're experiencing these things during weight loss, consider trying to opt-out of diet drinks (and all things aspartame). You may be surprised at the health benefits. I'm not "anti-aspartame," but I can definitely tell you that it's made a WORLD of difference in how I feel in general
My husband is another person who can not eat or drink anything with aspartame (Equal) in it. This is difficult given the fact that he is diabetic.

After being diagnosed with diabetes 6 yrs ago, he basically used nothing but products with aspartame in it. His symptoms started gradually so we never thought to associate them to the aspartame. Near the end, he had constant body aches, muscle cramps, muscle weakness and several other symptoms that led the doctor to run tests for multiple sclerosis & lupus. The tests came back negative. So, he was sent to a neurologist....who ran the same tests again plus more. All the tests came back negative.

Once we made the connection to the aspartame, the doctor ordered him to stay away from it. He started drinking at least a gallon of water a day to try to flush the build up of aspartame out of his system. Within 3 days, he noticed a difference in how he felt. It took several months before he was symptom free but it was well worth the effort!

Now, if he accidentally ingests something with aspartame in it, he can tell within just a few hours!

We are really diligent about reading labels. Now we only use Splenda in our house and only buy things that are sweetened with Splenda.

My BIL takes Wellbutrin XR and has also lost weight since he started taking it. Not sure if it is the meds itself or if he is doing less "stess eating".
Old 07-31-2004, 08:36 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am interested now, I really feel like my food issues and energy levels are HUGELY effected by the fact that I always feel depressed! I would like to ask my Dr about wellbutrin, but I bet it is really expensive, can anyone tell me how much it costs per month?

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 08-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tasha, Welbutrin has no effect on weight-loss per se...

It is a newer type of antidepressent that does not contribute to weight gain as all the older antidepressents are known to do.

No doctor should be perscribing it for weight loss. There is something else you might want to talk to your doctor about.. Xenical or Orlistat... it's a pill that taken with low-fat meals, blocks absorption of up to 1/3 of the calories consumed.. sort of a "chemical gastric bypass" lol..

This drug got a bad reputation, because people were taking it and eating fatty foods with abandon, which lead to diarreah and abdominal distress.. You can''t eat whatever you please while on it.. and you have to take vitamins.. But I was on it for awile and it was great.

As for depression and sleeplessness.. Look at your hormonal state first... Perimenopause can do a number on you... Try boosting your exercise levels and try therapy ( talk therapy) before you medicate yourself. The side effects of these drugs cause more trouble that they're casually worth.. All antideprressents can cause sexual side effects.. they can be more depressing than the original symptoms!! LOLOL!!

If you really need them, they're absolute life savers.. I know.. but if you can do without.. you're better off being able to do without...

IMHO..

Val
Old 08-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

What is perimenopause? I am only 24 and I had my daughter only 3 years ago.

Old 08-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

LOL!! Perimenopause is something you don't have to wory about!! LOLOL!!!

( not for a decade or so anyway)

Val
Old 08-01-2004, 08:26 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

yeah, I think dh and I both suffer from depression... really makes our relationship hard at times I wish there were some way to deal with both my depression and my compulsive eating (like I said, I am quite sure they are linked) I think dh and I would do much better! He spends pretty much every waking hour on the computer... if I don't dish up his dinner and bring it to him, he won't get off and eat, so he will just forget to eat

Old 08-08-2004, 12:07 PM
FamilyCorner Senior Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Weight Loss

I am so mad at myself!!! If I could reach my foot around to kick myself in the butt, I would do it!!

I have weighed 189, I had got to 153. When I went to the Doctor last Thursday I had gained back 5 pounds!!! I was furious with nobody but me!!!

So, I need a buddy, to stop me from reaching for the Otis Spunkmeyer Chocolate Chip muffins!!! I know that is what has put the weight back on me. I realized it the other week when I ran out and paid $2.99 for 3. I had already consumed 10. Not a good thing!!!!

I try to only eat one a day, but yesterday I ate 3. I justify it, well I need to eat something when I take my meds. Now I know, that is not what I need to eat!!!

Help me out here girls. The doctor said she wanted me to loose 10 more pounds, but I've got really 15 to loose.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh, I feel your pain, sweetie! I had lost 35 lbs and have since gained back all of it plus 10!!! Would it help if we started posting EVERYTHING that we eat each day? We are talking even that one potato chip off of a kid's plate or whatever... I think that might just embarass me enough to help me out some. Would you do it?

We could also post exercise amounts too... just a suggestion, let me know what you think.

Where the heck is the "looking in the mirror then vomiting on herself" smilie?

Old 08-08-2004, 12:29 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sounds like a plan

That sounds good to me. Lord if I wrote down everything I put in my mouth I probably would be embarassed beyond all belief.

EXERCISE: I don't do. Mainly for health reasons at the moment. Until they get my leg fixed, its out of the question. I have been forbidden to even do any walking. Hopefully by the end of the year they will know what is wrong and it will be all fixed.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:04 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tasha

Ok girl, I'm taking you up on your offer. Today is the day I begin to write down every little thing that crosses my lips. I will post at the end of the day what I have eaten. This could prove extremely embarassing to me.

I am determined to win the battle of the bulge before Christmas!

As for your depression and eating, from experience, I can tell you, that they go hand in hand!! In my case, I would eat and eat and then go where I wouldn't eat but miniscule meals. Then pig out for days. It was a nasty little roller coaster. I don't have a sweet tooth, which is in my favor. What is not in my favor, is I am a junk food fanatic, chips, cheese and crackers, dips, you name it, I'll eat it. Those are my downfalls.

I have never been put on Wellbutrin. Lord, I think that is the only one they never put me on and that is because it wasn't available then. The meds I take now for depression and anxiety work so well for me, I can't tell how happy I am. It took 4 years for them and that included being misdiagnosed, going to 3 psychratrists, finally finding one who figured out what was wrong (only took 8 visits) a neurologist, a biofeedback (1 year), and the right meds.

Don't misunderstand, the day my son has been shipped out, they all are notified. They know that I go cablooey. Including my family doctor. They all make me appt. for every 4-6 weeks to keep an eye on me. Excluding the pysch. and the bio. I am done with them. ( I am allowed to call the pysc. if I need him on a moments notice)

So, there's my two cents.