Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 01-29-2002, 11:16 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Breastfeeding and Weight Loss

I am breastfeeding my DS who is now 8 weeks old. I know that breastfeeding can help shed the pregnancy pounds, but I just feel like pregnancy has totally changed my body shape.
My daily diet is terrible as it is (because I'm so busy) but I don't know if it's best to not diet at this point or not.
I suppose exercise is best, but I wanted to see what other moms who have breastfed have done.

Kat
Old 01-29-2002, 11:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I breastfed dd for 1 year. I found walking was the best for losing the weight. I kept up my pregnancy diet ( minus the craving foods ) and just walked with dd in the stroller. It was hard where she ws born in Feb, and we get snow but we walked everywhere weather premitting. The only problem I had with weight after dd was born was going back on bc, it never effected me before, but afterwards I put on 30 lbs a needle. Wasn't happy to say the least. When dd was 3 months old I had 15 lbs to lose to get back to my right weight ( I put on 70 during pregnancy) By the time she was 10 months I had 80 to loose. So switched bc and started walking more. Minus a few health setbacks I 'm back to needing to loose 15 lbs. Dd will be 4 next month so it's taking me awhile.
My advice, walking or dance with your ds and eat sensibly.
good luck!
Old 01-29-2002, 11:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Exclamation Good Idea

Thanks. You have a good point because walking is essential to get to where you have to go! I just didn't want to alter my diet so much that it would affect the supply! I just have to be patient because the weight is not coming off as easily this second time around!!!

Kat
Old 01-31-2002, 01:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

nursing/diet thing

I am nursing an almost 8 month old dd. I would say from my experience; 8 months this time & 18 months last time. Do not try to diet. I personally did not have trouble dropping the pounds. This time or last time, but this time I look way different to me. Jon does not notice but I do. Anyway, do not diet, eat good and often enough. I also know that eating oats will help w/your supply. I work full-time and Mary has not had even a fraction of an ounce of formula. Another thing of nursing, most bc pils will reduce your supply, due to the hormones so be very careful of that.
Brandie
mom to ds, Randall (05/06/97) and dd, Mary (06/15/01)
Old 02-02-2002, 06:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

WATER!!!!! and lots of it! helps you loose the weight and gives you enough fluids to nurse. also some women can't loose weight while nursing the body goes into survival mode and stores fat instead of letting it go.(I have several friends who go thru this) but as soon as nursing is done you can cut back on callories and weight will come off. I agree that you should not cut back while nursing. What works for me is increased activity which I have no problem with right now as I am nursing 9wk old DD - #5
Old 02-03-2002, 05:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Nursing is so wonderful for you and your baby , I want to challenge you not to let your weight be a factor in how long you nurse. I have nursed 5 children, all over a year. I was one of those hated under weight people. Hey, not my fault. I hated it when people would tell me that I looked too thin. After I have babies it feels so weird to have thighs that rub together. I feel like I'm traped in someone else's body. It just takes me time. It took me 9mos with the first and 13 mos with the last. Sometimes with babies the only snack you get it a spoonful of peanut butter. Stock up with simple snacks. But remember that this time will pass.
Sue
Old 02-04-2002, 09:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello, My concern was my eating that I felt had turned into a habit but it went away naturally.
I had two boys born 14 months apart. My first was only 5 months old and I was still breastfeeding when I got pregnant. Since I had a premie with my first, I was told by my doctors to stop nursing immediently. I tried and my son rebelled. He started nursing more. I told myself that God made my body and to follow my instincts. I nursed him for maybe two more months until he got very little milk and was not worth his trouble any more. Then I nursed my second son til the age of one year. He just wasn't interested in it anymore. He wanted FOOD.
I was scared that since my eating habits had been strong for over two years, I was worried that I would not be able to stop. I ate constantly, but did not gain over my 25 lbs. recommened during pregnancy. After breastfeeding, the first thing that everyone noticed and asked about was if I had lost weight? I wish, BUT what they saw was my chest getting smaller, so I looked thinner. My eating dropped off immediently after stopping to nurse. It was my subconcious. My body did it naturally.
That did not help the eating habits of my oldest who always wanted to snack with me during my pregnancy. Now he always wants a snack not a meal.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

First, of all, I'd like to congratulate you on your decision to breastfeed your baby. As for the weight loss, the majority of the pounds for me did shed by the first 6 weeks, but the rest will come, don't worry. Eight weeks is still early. Soon you'll have a baby who wants to explore, and you will be on your feet a lot more. I nursed my dd until she was 15 months old. Though I was back down to the size I was before I was pregnant, I did join an exercise class and became more toned.

A word of caution about strenuous exercise: it may change the taste of your milk so that your baby won't nurse as well after an exercise session, so watch for that if that is what you decide to do. Walking is an excellent form of exercise, as others mentioned, and it gives you a way to get out of the house! Hope your nursing endeavor goes well, and as I said before, don't worry about the weight issue. It will happen!
Old 02-11-2002, 01:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Unfortunately, I was one of the mothers who gained weight while breastfeeding...However, I breastfed twin girls for 18 months & still had 4 boys to keep up with!!! So proper nutrition at the time was unrealistic for me to consider (although I should have I now know). But I enjoyed breastfeeding thoroughly. It was a lot better for me with twins that with my singles. My first boy wanted too much nursing & my second was a "sleepy" baby. With the twins, I got one of each, so all I did was switch sides...they eventually got up to the same amount every day.

Right now, I need to lose about 120 lbs. I am trying to watch what I eat, but when my stress levels go up, the kind of foods I eat changes drastically!!! I am also going to start working with a book I bought years ago which deals with lower body exercises. You're supposed to see results in 6 - 12 weeks (more maybe depending on body size when you start). I've also started to pray for help from God concerning my losing weight and getting in better shape, not only for me, but for my family also.

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 02-12-2002, 04:18 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi,
I hope you don't mind my jumping in! But Sharlibird, why don't you come join us on the daily threads. There are several of us dealing with weight loss, and the more that join in the better. And more support for all!
By the way I lost 65lb, all while nursing my son. I believe in long term nursing, and knew I couldn't wait till he was weaned too start, I was 100lbs overweight at the time! I just was very careful, I didn't want too deprive him of nutrition. And is a now a very, very active 2 1/2 yr old. Who I am desperately trying too get too give up his morning nursy, the last one!