Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 02-12-2002, 11:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Congrats on your baby and choosing to breastfeed. I remember going through the same thing with my first daughter. Unfortunately, I gained 10lbs. from stressing over the extra weight not dropping as fast as I would have liked. At that point I decided what was important to me and I chose to breastfeed. I did drink more water, ate a proper diet (not restricting my eating), and dancing (too cold for walking with a baby). Slowly the extra weight started to shed. I lost 30lbs in the next year (only had 10 to go), when I decided to have baby number two. This time is harder, daughter is 19mths and no longer breastfeeding, but I'm still struggling with an extra 15lbs. Drink water, walk when weather permits (dance when it doesn't), eat as healthy diet as possible and remember a strong healthy baby is your goal and losing the weight will happen eventually, especially when your chasing two children in different directions.
Good Luck!
Note: Even with my extra 15lbs I can probably run farther now than I could before children. They can be quit a workout all by themselves. LOL
Old 02-13-2002, 11:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Water!

I've been trying to drink more water and it seems to be helping a lot. I feel a little "lighter". Must be my imagination (I decided not to get on the scale for a while) but going to the bathroom more frequently makes me feel that way.

I plan to breastfeed as long as I can (and as long as DS wants to). DS was hospitalized for a respiratory problem all last week but I was able to continue breastfeeding as they allowed moms to stay with baby in the same room. I also had to pump because DS was not feeding as much. I'm going to try not to worry so much about weight (the numbers!!) right now.

Thanks for all your posts!

Kat
Old 02-16-2002, 02:09 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I loved nursing my daugher and was one of the lucky ones. She's 18 months and I'm 5 lbs short of my pre-preg weight, although most of it came of within the first 3 months.
Just a note - the weight is gone but the shape is not back to pre-preg. My husband says I look fine and I just try to look at it this way. Would I trade 5lbs and my new body shape for my daughter.
Doesn't always mean I like the way I look or that I don't try to eat healthfully, but it does put it into perspective.
Old 02-16-2002, 06:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I thought this might be helpful. You need about 500 extra calories a day to make milk. In my experience, if you drink a lot of water, eat more fruits and vegies and skip the junk food you will automaticaly lose weight while nursing. You don't need to diet just eat healthy and those 500 extra calorie will help lose the weight. I've nursed six kids each for over a year this is the only time in my life I can lose weight without trying, as long as I stay away from the junk. Hope this helps and good luck with the nursing.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:44 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I to am bfeeding!

I am also bfeeding and Have gained a lot of weight with this pregnancy. I do really well on a low carb combo diet. I can eat all I want but I just can't stick with it for more then 2 weeks. I also feel like my body has changed so much. I have 2 other kids but after this one I feel bloated all of the time and have uncontrolable gas. When I do the low carb diet I feel so much better but I can't resist the sweets. Has anyone else had this problem with gas and any ideas on sticking to the diet. If you want to know the book I read for my diet just email me, I'm not sure if its ok to put the name on the board. Good luck Em.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

For breastfeeding:

Great job giving your baby your best!

For weightloss:

You have already admitted what you know you are not doing, so you need to sit down and re-evaluate what you are going to do about it. There is no need to sacrifice breastfeeding to lose weight. I personally help about 300 moms a year lose weight while breastfeeding, and it is a common misconception that you cannot or should not do anything about it. You are the mom and hold the family together. You should be at your best, and if weight is not letting you, then make a committment to do something about it .

There is nothing harmful that will be released into your milk to harm your baby. If that were true, we would all be dead or sorely disabled due to the toxins in the breastmilk of cows from consuming the large amounts of dairy products we do.

You can drink all the water you want, but your body is still going to hold on to fat if you aren't eating enough, aren't eating the right foods or are eating too much. We need water but unless you are exercising or are particularly thirsty, you are just spending a lot of time in the bathroom. If you drink a lot of cold water, your body does have to work to warm it for digestion, so you can burn extra cals that way, but probably not enough.

No, you shouldn't *diet* in the crash sense, but making smarter decisions cutting down on bleached foods (buying whole grain instead) and increasing your protein to at least 50 grams a day will all help you lose FAT and keep your muscle mass. Make all your decisions on paper before going to the store, and eating before you go, will help greatly. If you don't have it in the house, it is hard to pack up the kids in the car to get one gallon of ice cream at 9:00pm .

LOW CARBING :
Two weeks is just how long it will take you to get rid of your cravings for sugar, so every time you give in, you are starting all over again. A great place to go for low carb recipes, etc. to help you stay on track is http://lowcarbfriends.com and for the sweet tooth, check out Wal-Mart or other places that carry Russell Stovers sugar free chocolates -- they will have carbs from Sorbitol or Malitol and the pecan clusters rock but if you eat too many, you will get massive gas... so only buy a couple to tide you over until you get over your sugar cravings. Once you get past induction (those first few weeks of sugar detox), you are good to go and won't be realy craving it, except for around your cycle. Also try http://atkinscenter.com they have recipes and will even make you a grocery list.

DO REMEMBER that Low Carb is a way of life and not a diet. If you stop, the pounds pack on again. It is best to convert over the whole family, buying sugar free snacks, lower carb fruits, etc. Milk is also not too good for human intestines, so the kids aren't going to be too bad off for it if they get calcium via veggies and their good fats via lean or unprocessed meats. Kids should not be watching carbs, but the decrease in sugar is good.

Also, watch the diet sodas, as the artificial sweeteners do have a bad rep for causing neurological issues in babies and it does pass through the breastmilk. If you have to have a sode, try to drink as the baby nurses or immediately after so it will be mostly out of the milk.

Did I miss anything?
Let me know. I can also help you with some menus if you need.
Lauren Elizabeth 12 .14 .98
Morgan Gabriella 02 .14 .01

Last edited by thebestfedbaby; 03-01-2003 at 06:23 AM.