Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 07-19-2002, 06:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well hey now, haven't we just opened up a can of worms here, huh?!?!? I love it that so many people are interested in this -- I sometimes feel like the proverbial voice crying in the wilderness where sugar is concerned.

As for the honey subject, your very best bet is to find something local. It will probably cost you a little more money, but it's worth it. You'll get the extra bonus of having local pollen in your honey, which will help lessen any allergies you may have. The tiny doses of local allergens in the honey will gradually, over time, lessen your histamine response, and in a year or two you will almost certainly see a dramatic reduction in your seasonal allergies.

The best honey is raw, unfiltered honey. It will be dark and cloudy, but that's the good stuff you're seeing, so go for it. The more local, the better. We have people right in my neighborhood who keep bees, and I move heaven and earth to get that honey when it's up for sale. New Mexico is a very "allergic" state, because so many people have imported non-native plants -- sometimes in the Spring you can literally SEE the pollen blowing in the air, like a yellowish cloud -- WAY scary! So I've been beefing up my system with local honey ever since I moved here, and I have very few problems with allergies any more.

A HUGE thumbs up to all of us who are getting smarter about this stuff! A key for me is understanding that mostly it's about MONEY, not health. Companies are trying to sell you stuff, and they do it either by filling a real need or creating a perceived need. "Convenience" foods are usually loaded with chemicals, and of course processed to a faretheewell. "Delicious" foods usually mean sugar, just as "low cal" foods mean aspartame or something equally gruesome. Food companies are not concerned with your health, they're concerned with their bottom line, and for some unknown reason, chemicals are less expensive than real food. They seduce you with "saving money" and "saving time," and in the mean time punch holes in your immune system.

READ THOSE LABELS! My rule of thumb: If I can't pronounce it, I don't eat it. Served me well so far.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just had to post this -- speak of the devil! This is an exerpt from an article in today's New York Times. The author, Michael Pollan, is talking about how corn has become so popular, but really causes many problems. This is the section where he talks about health:

"...Since the 1980's, most soft drink manufacturers have switched from sugar to corn sweeteners, as have most snack makers. Nearly 10 percent of the calories Americans consume now come from corn sweeteners; the figure is 20 perent for many children... It's probably no coincidence that the wholesale switch to corn sweeteners in the 1980's marks the beginning of the epidemic of obesity and Type 2 diabetes in this country. Sweetness became so cheap that soft drink makers, rather than lower their prices, super-sized their serving portions and marketing budgets. Thousands of new sweetened snack foods hit the market, and the amount of fructose in our diets soared.

"This would be bad enough for the American waistline, but there's also preliminary research suggesting that high-fructose corn syrup is metabolized differently than other sugars, making it potentially more harmful. A recent study at the University of Minnesota found that a diet high in fructose (as compared to glucose) elevates triglyceride levels in men shortly after eating, a phenomenon that has been linked to an increased risk of obesity and heart disease. Little is known about the health effects of eating animals that have themselves eaten so much corn, but in the case of cattle, researchers have found that corn-fed beef is higher in saturated fats than grass-fed beef."

Interesting, don't you think?

Christina
Old 07-19-2002, 09:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great dialoge everybody!

There are two products I'd like to share with everyone in response to some of the previous conversation:

Stevia is the newest sugar alternative. Its made from a plant and is suppose to be very safe and a little goes a long way. I believe you buy it in either liquid or crystals and it can be bought at any healthfood store. My brother-in-law, a health fanatic, swears by it.

I don't use it because I don't add sweeteners of any sort to anything anymore - like others, I've adjusted my tastebuds.

And that leads me into the topic of a tea that is so smooth and so delicious I drink it very enjoyably without any additions such as lemon or sweeteners...

Its called Rooibos tea - Cedarberg Organic. Its a red tea, as opposed to black or green tea. Its naturally decaffeinated and has all sorts of natural anti-oxidants. I buy it from www.republicoftea.com for approx. $30/250 tea bags. Its great hot or cold and has been a wonderful substitute for coffee with its smooth but robust flavor. Its the best tasting tea I've ever had, and believe me, I've tried a bunch in my attempts to give up coffee... Rooibos is the first tea that's made me never look back

Enjoy!

MauraM
Old 07-19-2002, 10:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb sugar-bad or good??

hello to everyone.
this has been a fascinating subject and i am soooo glad it has been brought up.
i have heard so many bad things about white refined sugar and white refined flour it makes me very concerned!!!!
my mother can not eat either-they give her bad yeast infections.
and my chiropractor-he was telling me how these both feed the yeast inside our bodies and make us sick!
i frequently read chet day's natural health newsletters and they are very informative.
log on to www.chetday.com and check it out.
he does constant research on foods and diets and healing.
he'll be the first to admit if an original theory of his was wrong.
he used to promote being a vegetarian-but now admits human bodies need fish,dairy,etc. to stay healthy long term.
very,very fascinating reading on his site and newsletters!!!!
i have read that natural cane syrup is a safe alternative to sugar.
also that to use whole grain flour over white refined flour.
i am personally going to start checking to see which natural food stores are close to my home with reasonable prices.
i am also slowly trying to educate myself to feeding my family more safely and healthy.
it makes your head spin sometimes trying to figure out who is telling consumers the truth and who just looks at the $$$$ to be made while slowly poisoning our bodies!
thats why i am trying to find what health food stores have reasonably priced products.
any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
sincerely-sheila ann anderson
Old 07-19-2002, 12:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sheila - Thanks for the www.chetday.com website! I've signed up for a few of the ezines... they look like great topics! another good health newsletter is at www.vitacost.com. VitaCost does sell vitamins and supplements, but the newsletters just gives you the lastest scoop on health and supplements, and doesn't "push" their products, simply suggest (but they do have good products and prices).

MauraM
Old 07-19-2002, 12:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Christina - you are a wealth of knowledge and what you say is very consistent with what I've read and learned elsewhere! Thanks! I've also read that products from your own geographic region are good, including honey, but also eggs I understand, because the chickens ingest the local environmental "stuff" and builds anitbodies against the local pollens, etc. and then those antibodies are passed on to us when we ingest the eggs. Don't know if this follows through to eating the chicken... I just remember the reference to eggs.

To good health!

MauraM
Old 07-22-2002, 07:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

To Our Good Health

Hi Maura and everyone:

You ladies have been busy over the weekend! My email is at work, so I came back to all these posts this morning -- I'm sure happy to know that people are finding what I have to say useful. I'm an herbalist, specializing in women's issues, and I've spent 30 years trying to get people to stop pouring chemicals into their bodies.

I would strongly encourage all of you to take a stroll through your local health/whole foods supermarket and just see what they have to offer. Try to go in at a time when it isn't busy (i.e., not lunchtime or right after work), and see if you can get one of the employees to take you under their wing and show you around, give you the scoop on what they sell. There are new products coming out every day that are healthful alternatives to all the garbage that the big food companies are trying to sell us. Sometimes you do pay a little more, but I try to remember what it will save me in doctor's bills and lost time at work. I see it as an investment in my personal future.

And yes, Stevia is a wonderful alternative to sugar -- much MUCH sweeter than regular sugar, and as far as I know, it has no down side. But do try to keep the sweets in check, even when you use a non-sugar substance; you don't want to be eating a lot of sweet things in the course of a day.

Locally raised eggs and chickens will have some of your local allergens in them as well, and be better for you all the way around. I have a chicken farm right down the street from me, and while I would rather buy "free range" chickens who have had some sort of a life for themselves, I would buy those birds before I'd get something in the supermarket that has been shipped and stored and who knows what else -- at least the meat is fresh. I'm blessed with a lot of small operations in my neighborhood (a response to poverty, I'm afraid) -- I can get local honey and local beef and local dairy products, right off the farm. That's always my preference. I don't know where you all live, or how accessible that sort of thing is for you, but it's certainly worth a little investigating.

Here's hoping we all get smarter and healthier as time passes. Thanks for your encouraging words -- I really appreciate them.

Blessings to all

Christina