Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 07-18-2002, 11:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

MJ -
Do you drink diet drinks or artificially sweetened teas, drink mixes? Not that I'm saying aspartame is an absolute cause of fibryo, but you may be ingesting it without really knowing or thinking about it.

MauraM
Old 07-18-2002, 01:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Question MauraM & Chrsitina

WOW! I never knew ANY of that information on aspartame!

That is SO scary!

So, do you use any type of sweetener? How about Splenda? I sure can't drink iced tea without a small amount of some sort of sweetener to take the bitter edge off!
Old 07-18-2002, 02:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I must admit that, while it was easy for me to eliminate sugar from some areas of my diet, it was really hard to clean it out of others. Iced tea actually wasn't one of them -- I increased the amount of lemon I used to compensate for the lack of sweetness.

I think that often it's not that we really object to the taste of something, but rather that we EXPECT it to be sweet, and when it isn't, it tastes "wrong" or "bad." At least that was my experience with iced tea. I was expecting it to taste sweet-and-tart, since I'd always used both sugar and lemon; when I let go of the expectation for the sweet part, I came to enjoy the tartness of the lemon even more and doubled the amount of lemon I added. It took a little while to get used to it, but now, if I happen to get a sweetened iced tea, it tastes sickly-sweet to me.

It seems as though our whole society is addicted to sweet, and it's an easy thing to fall into. I mean, you're SUPPOSED to put sugar on your grapefruit, right? That's what everybody does...??? When I stopped putting sugar on my grapefruit, it tasted really bitter at first, but I decided to just get over it, and in a surprisingly short amount of time it started tasting fine to me; tart, but fine. What's wrong with tart?

I think we can train -- and re-train -- our taste buds to accept new food tastes if we really want to. It's hard, particularly with children, but I think it's worth doing. Kids get so used to everything tasting sweet that they refuse other tastes on principle. We adults do the same sometimes.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

cmaris

Your mention of the grapefruit brought to mind my beloved grandmother. She used to put SALT on her grapefruit half when she ate it for breakfast! Seriously! My mother would beg her to use sugar instead but she always refused, saying that she liked it "her way".

I eat a grapefruit like an orange....I peel it and eat it by sections! Usually I put half of the sections in a ziploc bag to have the next day....unless that is all I am having for breakfast.

As far as iced tea, I don't like the taste of lemon in my tea. In fact, I don't like lemondade.......or any lemon/lime flavored drinks either! I also don't like ordering sweet tea at a restaurant because it is alwasy so sickening sweet! One packet of Equal ( ) usually sweetens 3-4 glasses of tea for me..... depending on the size of the glass. I just like to get that bitter edge off.

Now that I have heard all the scary info on aspartame, I just don't know how I will sweeten my tea unless I resort to sugar.....

Usually sugar in small amounts does not really affect me that bad.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:41 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't drink any thing but iced tea with no sugar. Or ice water (aside from a really healthy beer here and there), other things
lik pop ad citrus drinks just don't agree l with me.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

If you have a natural/whole foods market in your area, you might want to experiment with the various alternative sweeteners they sell.

I don't like many of them -- they taste more like brown sugar to me than the "clean sweet" of white sugar -- but you never know, they get smarter about this stuff every day. They know we want the sweet tastes, so they're always experimenting to find something that tastes just like sugar without the down side. It's been a while for me, because I just don't do sweet as a taste much, so there might be things on the natural foods market that weren't back when I was using that kind of thing.

Something else to think about is honey. I know it's a different sweet from sugar, but if you use just a small amount, and put it into the tea when it's still warm, you might be able to come to some kind of compromise with that. A friend of mine who's a hot tea addict switched over to honey and found it was quite palatable if she didn't use a lot. Honey is, oh gosh I don't remember, I think about 10 times sweeter than sugar, so you wouldn't need much, that's for sure!

Loved the story about your grandmother. I was blessed with a very suspicious, cantankerous grandmother who didn't believe in "better living through chemistry." She was the first registered organic gardener in New Jersey, back when people thought it was disgusting to fertilize vegetables with MANURE -- horrors! She always used turbinado sugar, and the only thing she'd ever give me to drink was V-8. I thought it was weird and gross when I was young, but by the time I'd hit my 20's I was appreciating her wisdom and her unwillingness to be talked into any newfangled chemical nonsense. She was decades ahead of her time, and I credit her with much of my good health and happiness.

Christina
Old 07-18-2002, 04:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Christina

I had never thought of using honey!

I have an uncle that is severely diabetic and that is what he uses to sweeten his tea! How silly that it didn't come to mind!

Think I will give it a try! Don't want to ingest any more of that aspartame!

Now, since I have never, ever purchased honey.......any tips on that?????

THANKS!
Old 07-18-2002, 06:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

sugar sensitive

Hi guys. Here is a subject near and dear to my heart! I have been off white sugar for 12 years now.
Prior to that I was tired and achy all the time. Felt like I had the flu everyday and I would run a low grade fever. My blood pressure was about 90 over 65 when I went to the Dr. At the time I was told I had candida and that I had to come off sugar and potatoes. Suprisingly wheat was not a problem and still isn't so I didn't have to give up all bread.

I went cold turkey and let me tell you I wouldn't want to go through it again. I was so weak and dizzy the second day I couldn't get out of bed but I came through it and have never looked back.
I tried some white sugar about two months after I had gone off sugar and I could actaully feel the change and it wasn't just physical, it was mental as well.
I have learned to read the labels on everything I buy ( I even found some soap once that had sugar in it!) Its easier these days because there are usually health food stores in most cities but when I started out it wasn't that way.
My Dr at the time allowed me to have a bit of molasses, barley malt and honey after the first two weeks of no sugar. I do very little fruit but for some reason I can do fructose (go figure). My weight went steadily down for several months and I was able to maintain it for several years. I still ate alot, it was just what I ate.

As I started hitting menopause I did start gaining some but not too bad. I always gain weight when I eat too much fruit or fruit juice. If I do have it now I cut it with sparkling water and I can't stand the taste of full strength fruit juice. I also cut out milk. I drink Soy milk instead. You have to watch though, because several brands of soy milk use cane juice. In fact cane juice has become quite a thing lately and some brands of products that used to use barely malt now use cane juice instead. I was hoping I could tolerate it since it doesn't have bleach in it (white sugar has bleach) but no go. I can always tell when I have accidently gotten something with sugar in it because the aching comes right back. Its amazing.

I have found that for me, anyway, just cutting back on white sugar isn't enough, it has to be totally cut out. Often people will say to me "well, it doesn't have much". For me, any is too much. I look at it like an allergy. When you are allergic you are allergic to any. But you might find, like I have, that you can tolerate something else that will still give you a sweet taste.
One product I have found, that is a bit pricy but worth it to me is
"NATURE'S TREASURE" . Its made by Amazon. I found it on the web at www.amazon-treasures.com. I use it to sweeten my tea
or put on cereal. I use fructose to bake with. I just decided to make a game out finding things I could have rather than completely depriving myself. I have worked with recipes to substitute things I can have and am always in search of new ones and have quite a volume built up now.
Hope this helps someone. I personally think that each of our bodies are unique and that you can't really do a cookie cutter
formula that will fit everyone.
One more thing on chocolate, there are chocolate bars out there that are made without white sugar. One is made with beet sugar, one is made with manitol (votes still out on this) and a couple others I can't remember right now. If I really get a craving I will mix up my own sauce using fructose and soy milk.
I agree totally on what was said about nutrasweet. Everything I have read points to this stuff being very nasty on the body. From what I have read about Splenda, however, it seems like it might be ok. It too is a bit pricy, but would be good for sweetening teas and such.
Mary Beth
Old 07-18-2002, 06:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ladies!!

I say TWO THUMBS UP to Juliecc913 for starting this thread!

I have learned SO much from reading all of the replies!

To be honest, I now find myself questioning what percentage of my medical problems are sugar related! I'm serious!

I was also SHOCKED to hear that there is a soap out there that even has sugar in it! Is that so it wil taste better if you accidentally get some in your mouth?!

I am going to have to sit down and work out a plan! First thing to do is to start reading the labels a lot closer on the products that I buy.

What about the natural sugar in carbs like corn & potatoes? Do they bother any of you???
Old 07-18-2002, 07:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Abear,
I can eat some corn and potatoes but I limit them. I probably eat them once or twice a month. I crave potatoes more than corn and I can tell when I've been eating too much as I start to feel sluggish. Once in a while I go on a potatoe chip bing and I'm always sorry after :p It takes several days of being good for the effect to wear off. Baked potatoes don't seem to bother me as much and red new potatoes even less. A book I found to be very helpful is the Zone by Barry Sears. There is a lot of good info in there and he really explains how proteins and carbs effect the body. Once you really understand this it makes it a lot easier to make the right choices. I found it a bit tough to follow the diet exactly but once you get the general idea you can make changes to your diet that will make a difference. If you don't want to get a new book you can probably find one for a good price at half.com (I always go there first for any book I'm looking for).
Mary Beth