Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 07-16-2002, 09:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everyone:

I am also extremely "sugar sensitive" -- by which I mean that I hardly ever eat anything with sugar in it, and when I do, it hits me like a train. Many years ago, I overheard two women talking, and one of them said: "I've been sober from sugar for four years now..." I laughed at the time, thinking she was a really over-the-edge food fanatic, but after I eliminated it from my diet for a couple of years, I changed my tune. Sugar is just as bad for you as alcohol, and ten times as insidious -- it's in so much of what we eat, and of course our society says it's a good thing, so we're not encouraged to eliminate it from our diets like we would be with alcohol.

Here's what I've learned about this condition from living with it for 30+ years.

#1: Sugar is bad for you. Accept this. Sugar is not your friend -- it's at the root of much that is wrong with you. Our bodies can't store Vitamin C, and most natural sources of Vitamin C are sweet things, like fruit, so our desire to eat sweet things is perfectly natural. Sugar, however, isn't. It fools your body into thinking it's getting something it needs, which is why it feels good to eat sugary things. But believe me, it would feel better to eat fruit!

#2: Sugar is not a treat, it's not a reward -- it's undermining everything you're trying to do with your diet -- weight, blood sugar control, everything. The unhappy truth is, if you are eating so much sugar that artificial sweeteners seem like a good idea, you need to reduce the amount of sugar you're eating. And it's not just sugar per se, it's sweet things in general. Traditional Chinese Medicine identifies five "tastes": sweet, sour, bland, bitter, and salty. Each of these "tastes" influences an organ system in the body; eating too much of one "taste" overstimulates that organ system and makes it toxic. Want to guess which organ system sweet influences? The digestive system. We Americans eat more food, and specifically more sugary foods, than any other nation on earth, and we are the worst nourished and most overweight population. Do you see a connection between those two things? I sure do. Find another way to "treat" yourself that doesn't require eating sugar. Ever wonder why all those old mummies they dig up have fabulous teeth? BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T EAT SUGAR.

#3: Cravings for sugar means you're not getting enough protein in your diet. Broil yourself up some chicken thighs and have them on hand for your next craving. When it hits, snarf down one or two of them (without the skin!), give it about 15 minutes to hit your system... and then see if you still crave sweets. Bet you don't.

#4: Sugar yanks your blood sugar up and down, which in turn messes with your head. On the rare occasions I've binged out on sugar (by which I mean two bowls of ice cream), I'm weepy and depressed the next day. It's to the point now where, when I find myself getting weepy and depressed, I can run back over what I had to eat yesterday and find "hidden" sugar somewhere. Never fails.

#4: Sugar messes with your body in a very direct, immediate way. My sister, who is also sugar sensitive, was told by her chiropractor that big jolts of sugar will cause your muscles to contract involuntarily, pulling your bones out of whack and requiring a chiropractic adjustment to get them back in line. I actually watched it happen with her once; she downed a whole Coke, and fifteen minutes later her back went out. Scary stuff. And we haven't even BEGUN to talk about diabetes...

The very best thing you can do for yourself and your family is to break the sugar habit, permanently -- and this includes the sneaky sugar, the corn syrup and the juice-based sweeteners, too. I know it's hard, but... well, so what? Most good things in life are hard to achieve -- good health is no exception. Don't apologize for your sugar sensitivity -- bless it. It's moving you away, naturally, from something you want to get rid of anyway. Sugar is not good for you. Once you accept that, and stop seeing sugar as the good thing that's being withheld from you, you can find the other things -- fruits, mostly -- that will nourish you while addressing your "sweet tooth."

Oh and that's another thing -- once you're off sugar for awhile, that sweet tooth disappears, too.

Good luck!

Christina
Old 07-16-2002, 11:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Christina, you hit the nail on the head. Thanks so much for this response. It is good to hear from someone who is winning the war against sugar in their own body. I'm going to re-read your post alot as I try to empty my body of that disgusting white stuff.

I wanted also to mention that while I am overweight (of course from eating all that sugar), my desire in this is to get my body, my soul, myself feeling better. Sugar really does screw up so many areas (for those of us who are sugar sensitive.)

When you talked about the two women you overheard having a discussion about "being sober from sugar", I said YES! Just last night I watched a movie called 28 Days with Sandra Bullock. It is about her being a drunk and an addict and I could so identify with so much in the movie in my relationship to sugar. Pretty eye opening and then your post. Ain't life great.

Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Christina

What you said really threw me! SO TRUE when you really take time to think about it!

I'm going to give your tip #3 a serious try and see what happens! I am also going to try it on my diabetic DH!!
Old 07-16-2002, 11:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well I'm so glad you ladies are liking this information -- a lot of times people don't want to hear this kind of thing. They want to continue eating the way they've always eaten, but have different results. Not going to happen, people!

I'm an herbalist and an alternative healer, and if there's one message I'd like to get out there, it's TAKE CONTROL OF WHAT YOU EAT. Your body is, for the most part, able to handle whatever life throws at it -- infections, injuries, many diseases -- if you are well nourished. If you're not, then everything is harder. We have to be vigilant in reading labels, seeing what is actually in the food we eat, or better still, fixing our own. You save money and you control what goes into your body -- two benefits for the price of one!

Anyone who has seen the results of eliminating sugar from their diet will tell you the same thing -- it's really hard to clean yourself out in the first place, and it's even harder to keep it out of your system from that point forward, but it's worth it, a hundred times over. I never get sick -- I mean NEVER -- and I'm a happy, energetic person. Not to say I don't have my bad patches here and there, but when they do come along, I feel much more able to deal with them, without falling apart or getting crazy. Our environment is very toxic -- not a whole lot we can do about the quality of the air and the water. But we can control what we eat, and eliminating sugar and chemicals from your food is the best investment you can make in your physical and mental health.

Thanks for the feedback, and good luck with your resolutions!

Christina
Old 07-17-2002, 09:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

I have fibromyalgia and am intolerant to carbohydrates. A candy bar can put me to sleep faster than any sleeping pill. I have been eating alot of junk lately and must get back on track. Loosing a few pounds (a few ha) wouldn't hurt either. I found that if I follow a high protein diet I feel much better. That means no eating anything white. Sugar, pasta, white rice, white bread, or white potatoes. There was just a program on Dateline last night regarding this but it was geared toward wieght loss. I do eat vegetables and fruit, but am more geared toward protein. They are really getting good reports on this eating way, not what we have been taught many years. My husband is diabetic and does well with this. It is hard not to eat the junk we love, but worth it to feel healthier.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

I have fibromyalgia and am intolerant to carbohydrates. A candy bar can put me to sleep faster than any sleeping pill. I have been eating alot of junk lately and must get back on track. Loosing a few pounds (a few ha) wouldn't hurt either. I found that if I follow a high protein diet I feel much better. That means no eating anything white. Sugar, pasta, white rice, white bread, or white potatoes. There was just a program on Dateline last night regarding this but it was geared toward wieght loss. I do eat vegetables and fruit, but am more geared toward protein. They are really getting good reports on this eating way, not what we have been taught many years. My husband is diabetic and does well with this. It is hard not to eat the junk we love, but worth it to feel healthier.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Christina,
EXCELLENT write-up. Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your knowledge I've forwarded it to both my daughters (is that DH in BB lingo?) We are each extremely sugar sensitive, and the after affects of a binge do feel very much like a hangover from alcohol. We have all suffered seriously from depression as well and controlling our sugar intack has made a tremendous difference.

But I'd like to warn people that if they think they can just substitute NutraSweet, BE WARNED! NutraSweet (aspartame) is very dangerous stuff. It is considered a neurotoxin (as in poison) in the natural health circles.

Its best just to get a handle on the sweet cravings than to resort to even more dangerous substitutes

MauraM
Old 07-18-2002, 09:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm with you, Maura, I don't do aspartame, ever -- it's nasty stuff. The first time I ever ate anything with aspartame in it, my neck siezed up the same way it does when I eat MSG -- that was it for me. If I'm going to break down and have something sweet, I want to be sure what's in it. Sugar may be bad for you, but at least it's a naturally occurring substance, and not something out of a laboratory.

Aspartame moved through the FDA approval cycle faster than any product ever submitted for approval up to that time. The "diet industry" was freaking because saccharine had turned out to be carcinogenic (oops!), and lobbied the FDA to approve a substitute quickly. The FDA accepted a significant portion of the aspartame manufacturer's own research on the product, instead of doing their own, and approved it in record time. You and I -- and an entire generation of children -- are living with the results of that decision.

People have died from aspartame, airline pilots have lost their licenses because it caused brain siezures while they were flying airplanes (!), and given how pervasive the substance is in our society, we can only speculate on what things will look like 20 years from now.

Gosh, this is starting to sound like the HRT snafu. Is anyone seeing a trend here...?!?!?

Peace.

Christina
Old 07-18-2002, 10:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Christine,
I'm so glad you supported my comments about aspartame. I actually get Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) from aspartame, and I've proven it by a self-administered double-blind test! I'd suspected aspartame in my RLS, so made sure I stayed away from it. After being both aspartame and RLS free for months, I inadvertently ate some low-fat yogurt that had aspartame in it and that night I was miserable with RLS. I didn't realize I'd eaten any aspartame until I looked at the yogurt container the next day!

I've tried to notify the RLS Foundation about what I've found but they just ignore me. I also think aspartame is implicated in the surge in multiple-sclioris, brain tumors, fybromyaglia, etc., but the political lobby for it is too strong. BAD STUFF and BAD PEOPLE who won't acknowlegde the harm its doing to everyone!

To good health!
MauraM
Old 07-18-2002, 11:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't know about fibromyalgia coming from aspartame use. I have not used any thing but real sugar in my life and have FMS. As far as I know they still cannot seem to come up with a reason for FMS and they don't seem to quite know what to do with those who have it. Many Doctors are clueless.