Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 01-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

First and foremost if you're unsure about diet soda or any non-sugar sweetened food and impact on your health ask YOUR doctor. Second, PLEASE take the time to visit some of the internet hoax sites. Simply go to www.google.com and type in hoax. Once at a site type in Aspartame. This internet legend about Aspartame has been circulating for years. Do your own research before you panic. I think you'll find some startling facts that may also serve to reassure.

a few are:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html
http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/
and one of the most famous: http://www.snopes.com/

Ask yourself: Even if the FDA allowed a "dangerous substance" to be used for sweetening, it has been on the market for YEARS now and problems would be rampant and in the news NOT just on internet sites.

I'm diabetic and use Spenda and Aspartame per my own doctor's advice as well as a nutritionist.

Good luck, good health and good hunting
Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 01-25-2003, 11:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My husband is diabetic AND also has MS. He goes to a top-notch group of Neurologists in the Texas Medical Center. We have been told by 2 Neurologists, 1 Cardiologist, 1 Pulmonist/Critical Care M.D. and a Rheumatologist and our 2 family physicians (and I "think" that's all!) that NutraSweet is basically poison - to stay away from Nutrasweet, Aspartame. We were told to stick with water, period! One of the neuros said NONE of her family is allowed to touch it.

Once when the side effects/dangers were being discussed I asked WHY the general public hasn't been informed. The reply: "As a rule, doctors simply know to keep their mouths shut because they simply cannot afford the legal fees they'd need to fight the pharmaceutical companies - there's too much money involved".

It's amazing how quickly you can get used to not having the "fizz" and that bloated feeling! Also, I recall that in WW once hearing a leader say that if you give up carbonated beverages ALONE they would account for a loss of 10 lbs. in a year's time.

Someone posted something about the FDA approving it.....I don't remember exactly the wording, but I recall that more than once a product has been FDA-approved only later to be taken off the market. Now, from what we've been told by so many in them edical field, I don't think they'll take Aspartame off the market, but I have to wonder about all the health problems, cancer, etc. that about 30 yrs. ago (yep, I'm of the "older woman" status! we rarely heard of....and I know "communication" is much better these days than then, but think about your extended family, church members, co-workers, neighbors (back then people actually KNEW neighbors), acquaintance through your children's school/scouting/sports activities, etc....if you were around then, did YOU PERSONALLY know of more than a scant handful of people diagnosed with any type of cancer? Now I can't count the # of people I've heard being diagnosed - and THESE are just people "I" know of! I have to think there's some correlation to all the products introduced to the market over the past 20 or so years.

Just an older woman's observations....
Old 01-25-2003, 11:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

For every soda we drink it would take 32 8oz glases of alkalized water to replace the calcium removed from our bones and to reset your bodies ph balance. I am a Dr. Pepper lover. I am trying very hard to get myself to swear off all sodas as they are so damaging to our bodies. My highschool biology teacher use to tell the class how he stopped drinking sodas 8 years earlier when he found out you could embalm a human body with soda and it was just as effective as formaldahyde.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:21 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Diet Soda bad for you

I know there are a lot of hoaxes on the internet, and try to be cautious about them. While I don't KNOW if aspartame is as bad as all that is said, I DO know I haven't had a soda since November 23, and I feel a thousand times better. After I got over the caffein withdrawl headaches, it has been great! I drink more water and juice, 100%juice. I still drink two cups of coffee every morning, but am switching from regular to decaf.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I read a bunch of stuff on the 'net about how bad Aspartame is for you, and even printed it out and took it to my doctor. He brushed me off and dismissed my concerns. I'm finding that lately, I can barely drink a can before I get a stomach ache. And I fell in LOVE with Diet Vanilla Coke. I didn't really make a conscious decision to quit, I just ran out a couple of weeks ago and didn't buy any more. I had one can at the bowling alley a week ago, and could barely finish it. I drink iced tea (made with real tea bags and sweetened with a little real sugar or honey), or ice water all day. I do buy bottled water for straight drinking because our tap water is notoriously bad tasting.

By the way - I had previously switched to Diet Rite with Splenda, but then read something about the Splenda being just as bad, or worse, than the Aspartame.

I guess the best idea is moderation. If you're drinking 6 cans a day, cut down to 3 or 4. If you're drinking one, skip it a few days a week. I think our bodies are designed to handle small amounts of toxins, but too much of even a good thing will cause problems.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have been diet soda free for almost five months now. I have had maybe one regular soda a week. Usually if I go to a restaurant. I have to say, I feel so much better. My body doesn't ache in the morning, my moods are more stable and I don't have that acid feeling in my stomach.

I didn't realize how much soda was hurting my body until I stopped drinking it.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have been diet soda free for almost five months now. I have also lost about 10lbs by just giving up diet soda. I feel so much healthier too. I would just hurt in the morning when I would get up. My joints and bones would be so sore. I also would get ringing like in ears, if I drank alot of diet soda. Now all those symptoms have disappeared. I feel like I am 36 not 96.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing

I would just like to say it would be illegal if it was really super dangerous. We all have problems be it sugar or aspartame.
It is a personal decision. I for one decide for it.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Interesting topic, Diet soda or soda. Try this experiment: pour a can of coke or diet coke on a piece of meat and check it the next day to see how much meat is left. The soda has enough acid in it to eat the meat away. I tried it as a meat tenderizer and it works. Coke on the meat and check the next day, the meat portion was smaller than when I started out.

Not only is the acid bad for your stomach but the carbonation is bad for your bones. It makes your bones ache. We don't drink soda here.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I belive this is true of all pop. It is the carbonic acid that eats away the meat. But it is still an addistion I can not yet beat. Perhaps someday.