Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 07-19-2002, 05:22 PM
Nine Year Member

Hey Girls!

Just thought I'd put in my .02!!! I am a diet coke junky!!! Now it's lemon diet coke!!! I really believe there is something addictive about that stuff. I start my morning with coffee, but by 10:00, I need my LDC!!! This is going to sound strange but the coldness and those bubbles just give me a kick!!!

Lauri
Old 07-20-2002, 08:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

A friend of mine works in a hospital as a nurse. She was on break when a Dr. walked by her and grabbed her diet coke right out of her hand and said......If you knew what that was doing to your body, you would never touch that stuff again. So for a day or 2 she quit drinking it, but now shes back drinking it again just because she is so addicted to it. I still drink it too, but not as much. I try to only drink 1 a day.

I had heard about the MS symptoms too. I read it in an article. My sister drinks dietcoke from the minute she wakes up until the minute she goes to bed, she has one in hand. She hurts all day long. I showed her the article but didn't seem to think thats what her problem was. Oh well, maybe its not. Too bad its so darn adicting and tastes so great!
Old 07-20-2002, 10:20 AM
Nine Year Member

Wow!!! I never read any of those articles. Anybody know what the MS symptoms are?

I wonder if it's the artificial sweetener that makes it addicting!
Old 09-05-2002, 06:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Diet Soda & Aspertame

HI ALL, I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD ADD TO THIS POSTING ABOUT DIET SODA & ASPERTAME. I JUST FOUND OUT IN APRIL THAT I HAVE DIABETES. I GO TO A NUTRISTIONIST EVERY TWO WEEKS AND I HAVE LOST 21 LBS. I HAVE LOOKED IN TO ALL THIS STUFF AND I FEEL THAT DIET CAFFENINE FREE PEPSI IS THE ONLY SODA THAT I LIKE THE BEST. THERE ARE NO CALORIES, NO SUGAR. NO NOTHING AND IT HASN'T STOPPED ME FROM LOSING WEIGHT. HERE ARE SOME SITES SOME OF YOU MIGHT LIKE TO LOOK INTO.
Aspartame Hoax
March 2001

If you search the web for "aspartame" (also called NutraSweet) you will find dozens of websites devoted to the perceived horrors of this sugar substitute (Actually, you have to search for the misspelling, "asparatame" to find most of them). All of this seems to go back to a study done in 1996 where the increase in brain tumors was found to correlate with the increase in aspartame use. That study did not show any causal link, only that both brain tumors and aspartame use seemed to both be increasing at the same time. That correlation has since been broken as brain tumor rates have leveled off and aspartame use has continued to increase.

Around December of 1999, a letter started making the rounds of the Internet that claims that almost every ailment known to man is caused by aspartame. It was supposedly written by a Betty Martini who was supposedly lecturing at the World Environmental Conference. A second version of the letter is identical to the first but the author has been changed to a Nancy Markle. In this letter, aspartame is blamed for hundreds of aliment including multiple sclerosis. The title of the article claims that the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation and others are suing the makers of aspartame. However, the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation has disavowed any knowledge of a problem with aspartame and any relationship with the author. The letter also claims that it causes "memory loss, confusion, and severe vision loss" among diabetics but that has been debunked by the American Diabetes Association.

The FDA has attested to the safety of the chemical and if you check the scholarly studies listed at the following site http://www.aspartame.org/ you will not find any showing significant problems with its use. The worst that has been found are occasional headaches. The "research" on the Aspartame Horror sites is, for the most part, anecdotal. The UrbanLegends.com website does a really good job debunking this warning and the supposed facts it contains. It is also debunked at the Junk Science website.

Following

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBUrbanM...html#aspartame

I HOPE YOU FIND INFORMATION THAT HELPS SOME OF YOU. MILLIE;-)
Old 10-03-2002, 12:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle sugar, asparatame nutra sweet etc

Hey to break the illusions folks, but sugar is sugar whether "natural " or created in a lab.Your body still breaks it down as sugar. Also whether you drink diet ,regular or ultra whatever, it still has CALORIES.Empty calories means that there is NO nutritional value whatsoever.In other words an apple is better for you than a soft drink.
Think bout about it, if you are going to put sugar in your coffee as an example, try to reduce the amount till you get used to the taste.if you are using the articial stuff take a good look at the label for the calories PER PACKet.You might be quite surprised at how many more calories you are putting in compared to one lousy teaspoon of real sugar.
give it a try:p
Old 10-03-2002, 02:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have found drinking diet soda very addicting. I guess it is because it has no calories. I found myself drinking more and more of it and less water. So now I am trying to limit myself to one or two cans per day, and hopefully all together soon.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking

Any and all soft drinks HAVE CALORIES. period. reduce the soft drinks and replace with water and more exercise and one will reduce the weight eventually
Old 10-04-2002, 08:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I went soda free yesterday and today so far. I want a soda so bad. But It is going to help me in the long run, less money spent on soda and more important My health. Anyone else trying to quit the soda habit?
Old 12-06-2002, 11:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't know much about the aspartame legend, I have read some on it and it appears aspartame isn't good for you. But neither is caffein! I just quite drinking Dt. Coke five days ago, small headache on Sunday, Monday a little worse, by Tuesday I couldn't open my eyes. Dr. says it was caffein withdrawl, other effects of caffein withdrawl include irritability. Who needs that in the family!? I won't go back to drinking soda, overall it just isn't good for you. Just something to think about.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My dentist also has a display in his office that the acid in diet pop is bad for the teeth. And, of course, the sugar in regular pop is also bad for the teeth. I guess drinking a lot of water is the answer.