FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Weight Loss (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/weight-loss/)
-   -   Need to make some changes (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/weight-loss/22012-need-make-some-changes.html)

bluebird 01-06-2008 12:42 PM

Need to make some changes

I didn't lose weight last year. This year I am making changes.

I have found I eat too darn fast. Slow down my eating, drink more water.

I can do some exercise. I will make a journal of what I can do and what hurts. I am having problems with some scars.

I am trying one new food on the family a week.

Remember to take my meds and vitamins!

Stay off the phone! I have a df who talks and talks. I need to stop doing this. My kids will help me.

Less white flour! Fewer potato dishes!

I am going downstairs right now to find a book on exercise I want to review.

Bilby 01-06-2008 06:32 PM

I did really well with my food choices until the kids went on holidays for the summer. When they are only on a couple of weeks holidays it's not so bad but we have another 3 weeks to go till ds2 goes back to school ... can make it LOL

On my dinner place I halve the rice, and pasta I used to eat and lay off the potatos but sometimes they just look so good sitting there on the plate I have to have that little bit more, my downfall I'm afraid.

I've given up prepared drinks (bought or in bottles) and use splenda 2/3 sugar 1/3 in my cooking

bluebird 01-07-2008 06:19 AM

Pasta is a huge downfall here! The kids love it. They don't like the whole wheat stuff either. They are great about eating rice and grains.

As for drinks, I bought flavored stevia and mix it with carbonated water. This is a treat not a daily drink for the kids. Vanilla cream tastes like cream soda. We have root beer too.

Bunny 01-07-2008 06:24 AM

Connie Instead of white bread eat wheat bread or rye bread, thay also have a bread with only 7 carbs and its realy good Good luck

bluebird 01-09-2008 09:13 AM

I made whole wheat sourdough starter yesterday. We don't have white bread often here. We have a flour mill in the next town. They sell the good stuff they don't use in the white flour as hot whole wheat cereal. I add that in with the flour. Fresh whole wheat flour. Since it isn't smooth, it gives bread a nutty flavor.

ajrsmom 01-09-2008 11:40 AM

:cheer: Connie, You can do it!!! :cheer:

Sammi1961 01-11-2008 10:55 AM

Connie, you have set some great goals. I need to follow your example. My problems are eating too fast and I eat too much at dinner. I eat fairly healthy - whole grain bread, yogurt, veggies, fruits but don't eat that much during the day. Then dinner time comes and I make a homemade dinner almost every single night and eat too much of it because I am hungry. I try not to snack but when I do I eat a few almonds or a low fat mozarella stick or a piece of fruit. And Connie, my dks don't like the whole wheat pasta either. I think your goals are great and should try to implement them in my own life. Keep up the good work!

Bilby 01-11-2008 01:57 PM

I've had to start putting on the bench the containers with dates, sunflower seed and nuts so that I have one of those instead of going for a biscuit to nibble. I was really good there for a whole year but since christmas slowly sliding back.
I find if I put the good stuff in a prominant place, the bench, I'm more likely to go for that.

kathymac 01-11-2008 02:25 PM

Connie, you have set some good goals. Good luck!

I have been doing better with eating healthier. One of the mistakes I've made in the past is not snacking. Like Sammi, I then get so hungry at dinner that I can't stop eating. I've made a point to pack an extra healthy snack with my lunch to have midmorning. I've gotten hooked on Kashi granola bars with chocolate chips and dried cherries. I try to bring water instead of juice or even diet soda. It does help to curb my appetite a bit. I also make sure to have a snack when I get home from work around 3:30 before I make dinner.

I'm afraid I'm not much of a whole wheat fan myself. I really don't like whole wheat pasta. I have begun buying brown rice instead of white rice. DD2 actually prefers it.

Kathy

Bunny 01-11-2008 02:40 PM

Connie you can do it I am pulling for you

goldeagle1 01-12-2008 08:04 AM

I actually prefer brown rice and whole grain breads, but I do have to make myself eat whole wheat pasta. For those of you who are not fans of whole wheat pasta, try to cook it a little longer than regular pasta. It takes longer to get "al dente" than regular pasta. Also, you should check out the new "multi-grain" pastas. You might like them better than plain whole wheat and they still are much healthier than regular pastas.
:cold:

bluebird 01-12-2008 01:31 PM

We can't eat the whole/multi grain pastas due to dd's food allergies.

I bought a rebounder (mini trampoline) today! Yeah for me.

We filled the kids punching bag up with sawdust today too. Better than blankets.

I need to find something dd and ds can snack on that isn't homemade cookies or cake.

Sammi1961 01-14-2008 05:01 AM

Connie, I have a mini trampoline. What I try to do is when watching tv, jog on the trampoline during all the tv commercials. If I am really motivated, I jog during the actual show and take breaks during the commercials LOL.

bluebird 01-14-2008 05:57 AM

Sammi, love your new picture! You are in better shape than I am. I can jump/jog for about 2 minutes. Poops me out. Better than doing nothing. I want to write out a plan today for exercise.

Mish 01-17-2008 03:07 PM

You all have such good goals for the new year.I have seemed to fallen off the wagon and can't seem to get any of weight to come off.It is sad but i can be ok with it,.I exercise up to 6 times a week but alot of times it is only 4 times a week.We eat just about everything whole grain now.I wish we could get rid of the junk food.I am still working on getting the girls to eat more veggies.And i drink alot of water but i noticed i have been drinking abit more caffine as it is so cold out.Wish me luck i think we can all do it toghther.

Mish :)

Bilby 01-17-2008 03:21 PM

I think it's carbs in general not that I don't like my sweet buns, pastas, rice, biscuits and bread but I think it's only having a couple of servings per day.
If you can eat your bacon and egg without toast do it, if you can get away with an open sandwich, 1 slice of bread, do it because at the end of the day when you add it all up it ends up being a great tally, then factor in your juices, soft drinks, tea and coffee with sugar and it's astronomical.
I'm not all about giving up carbs in total but if I can get away with half the amount at a meal I will, less potatoes, less chips.

I know sometimes easier said than done and no more so than over christmas .... and then there is the chocolate at easter YIKES! LOL

goldeagle1 01-17-2008 03:35 PM

Mish -- Wow! Exercising 4-6 times a week is fantastic!!

I run (more like jog!) 5K about 4-5 times a week and yesterday I started a new pilates class. The instructor appeared to be 20 years older than I, but she was in terrific shape. I felt pretty sore (and humiliated!) after that class. My muscles still ache, today. I think that I need to turn on my hottub for tonight!

:snowgrin:

bar_bar 01-17-2008 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you can do it Connie,
One of the things I learned is to set a time to eat at supper and don't eat any later than that. If all possible if I going to skip a meal to skip my supper.
I used to skip breakfast but learned that was the wrong one to do, I need something.
eat lite for lunch and then very light for supper or eat before a certain time. My time I set is eat before 6 since I go to bed so late.

to drink more water and fill up on water instead of food... when I want a snack try to put it off and if that just has to happen, then eat in small portion then skip supper.

My biggest problem is I am losing for I can get into a smaller size, but when I hit the scales it shows I am weighing the same.

wishing you the best.

Mish 01-20-2008 06:04 AM

For me the weekends seem to be the hardest for me to get on the machine.I am aslo trying to wtach my serving sizes and to stop eating at nightime.That seems to be my biggest downfall.We all can do it!!

bluebird 01-20-2008 06:51 AM

I am not doing anything except watching what I eat since all the drama last week. I will get back on the machines when things slow down. Hopefully that will be tomorrow.

Mish 01-21-2008 05:43 AM

Bluebird,
You will be ok.Last night i got my bike.But i am trying really hard to not eat at nightime.That is my big downfall.We are all here for you.
Hugs,

bluebird 01-21-2008 06:25 AM

I have gained weight!!! Oh no. I am hoping I have changed some fat into muscle or something. My clothes are fitting better. I think my tummy looks better too. Oh well. This week will be better, less drama!

Mish 01-21-2008 02:33 PM

Bluebird,Stress can make us do crazy things.This is why i am going to go and workout tonight and try to make sure i don't eat when i come home at nightime.You can do it.

Mish :brrrrrrrr

graceygrammy 01-27-2008 04:06 AM

sparkpeople.com is a great site to keep track of your exercises and meals and it's free. I have found it really helps. There are also healthy recipes there.

Sammi1961 01-27-2008 05:02 AM

Connie, muscle weighs more than fat so if your clothes are fitting better I would say you gained muscle! You have gotten me motivated to start getting back into shape. My 47th birthday is tomorrow so I am rer-joining weight watchers online and am going to start walking every day again. (I sort of stopped doing everything when my mom passed away) I need to lose about 40 pounds but my goal is to lose 20 by June for my brother's wedding.

Mish 01-27-2008 09:38 AM

I have stopped eating at nightime and it seems to be helping me out.I am still watching my portion sizes and trying to excersie when i can.Today i was on the scale and it said that i lost 3 pounds.Wohoooooooooooo

goldeagle1 01-27-2008 11:37 AM

Mish -- You deserve that wooooo hoooo!! Way to go!

Mish 01-27-2008 03:19 PM

Thank so much goldeagle it is a big struggle and i have really been wanting to eat a snack at nighttime but i aslo know it is a big no no and it will just turned into fat on me.

Sammi1961 01-28-2008 05:06 AM

Congratulations on the weightloss, Mish!! Keep up the good work!

Yesterday I joined Weight Watcher's online. Even though there are no meetings to attend etc. it does have you keep track of everything you eat which will help me. I am hoping to lost 20 pounds before my brother's wedding in June. I have started walking again too.

kathymac 01-28-2008 05:24 AM

I am committed to getting healthier after a bit of a scare this past weekend. I am beginning to go through "the change". I had several episodes of "flooding" over the weekend. This is when you start bleeding very heavily and pass very large blood clots. When I started researching menopause symptoms, I realized that a lot of my health problems lately are really part of the change. I am determined to start eating healthier and definitely going to start exercising again. I need to lose about 50 pounds! I'm not as much as concerned about the weight as I am in being healthy. I figure if I work on getting healthy, the weight will come off as well. I just don't want to focus so much on losing weight because then I get discouraged. I'm going to measure progress on how much better I feel.

Goals for this week:

Wean myself off of all caffeine (again!)
Walk for 30 minutes every day
Drink at least 16 ounces of water every day
Drink one glass of soy milk every day

Next week, I will add more goals. Wish me luck!

Kathy

goldeagle1 01-28-2008 08:59 AM

Kathy --
Those are wonderful weekly goals -- reasonable and doable. I know that you will have a successful week!

bluebird 01-28-2008 09:07 AM

I can't say I am in this for only getting healthy, I want to look great again too.

This week with the kids still sick, I will drink water and ride the bike. I don't think I will have time to do anything else. Maybe do some yoga.....

Sammi1961 01-28-2008 04:36 PM

Kathy, those are great goals. Good luck. I know you can do it!

Well, i should have joined weight watchers tomorrow as today was my birthday and I ate too much! But I did walk twice so hopefully the damage won't be too bad. Tomorrow is another day and i will get back on track. I am very determined.

bluebird 01-28-2008 06:26 PM

Well, I took care of everyone today, make a healthy dinner of pork steak, steamed rice and veggies. Dh even ate it! I gave him hot sauce and told him to pretend it was spanish rice. LOL I am making yogurt now. I did drink lots of water today. Not bad at all.

Sammi1961 01-29-2008 05:29 AM

Connie, sounds like you did great yesterday! I am doing better today. Yogurt smoothie for breakfast, I will eat a light lunch then have last night's leftovers in small portions for dinner. i have already walked this morning.

bluebird 01-29-2008 11:13 AM

I worked out with my ball. I have a book called Palites and the Ball. I feel like I worked out but I am not sore. One thing I learned from Yogi Salam is to rest between exersices. It does help prevent soreness.

Kids are feeling better but I think it will be a while before they are back 100%. Dh is dragging a little bit.

I think we are all doing great!!Yeah us!!

Mish 01-30-2008 06:01 AM

Connie and Sammi,
You are both doing great.I didn't work out last night as i was runnning out of time to do it.But i tried to watch how many carbs i ate.Today no excuses i am going on the bike as soon as i get a chance.And i am going to try and keep drinking more water too.

bluebird 02-18-2008 06:19 PM

It has been a while since I posted.

I made menus and stuck with them last week. I haven't made this weeks, that is tomorrows job.

I sold our universal gym. We didn't use it. Now we have room to set up dd's manul treadmill. I was able to walk for 10 minutes Saturday night. My goal for this week is 10 minutes a day.

I bought some cute capri bibs today. My plan is to be able to wear them this spring. Or summer.

I find the bike hurts my knees. I have terrible knees.

I did okay with eating out today. Not great but not terrible either. I think tomorrows lunch with be tofu, rice and veggies.

Bilby 02-18-2008 06:34 PM

We're all keeping in there.
I ran out of grain bread so ate a white breat sandwich for lunch that usually is a no no for me but I have not snacked today .... yet so that will make up for it.

Still keeping up the 5 days of curves .... and won a prize for somthing last week will need to pick it up tomorrow as she was bury this morning.

Sammi1961 02-20-2008 01:10 PM

I have stuck to my diet for 3 weeks and lost 8 pounds but last night I didn't do so well. I took the dks to Burger King for dinner as I had to go to the laundrymat as my washing machine is broken and just didn't have time to make dinner. I most definitely could have made a healthier menu choice but that burger tasted so good! For the most part I have cut back on what I eat, am making healthier choices, and have cut back on portion sizes. I am actually getting used to this now, especially the not eating sweets. I am following ww online which does help me keep track of how much I eat during the day. I have to admit, though, I have not walked in a week. the weather is just too icy and cold. I really need to get that back into my routine because I know I would lose weight easier with regular exercise. it would help my mood too as this winter just drags on.