Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi all, This is a great thread.
For me :
I lost over 150 lbs. doing weight watchers.
I then wreaked and since then(dec 2006 ) I have gained 50 lbs. Self medicating with food and basically using food for every excuse possible.
Well ,I think I finally got a handle on this.
For me :
I eat whenever I am hungry. Weather it be at night or whenever.
I totally have to pick apart why I want something to eat. If my stomach isn't hungry which is most of the time, I don't eat. If I can't resist I eat what I'm hungry for cause I know from past experence I will eat the sensible thing and then everything in sight until in the end I end up eating what I really wanted. If I can make the culprit ss and or ff I will if I can do so without losing flavor. It is very hard.
I know I can do this as I have it down pat for me...all I have to do is set my mind to it. If I am hungry for a sweet ,I eat green beans or something else less offending then I eat one of those 100 cal pks of something sweet and good!LOL Or 1 cinnamon roll or 1 doughnut or 2 cookies or.....
you get the idea.
For me I have to do something I can live with,forever. I don't do formal exercise but do increase my daily movement. The key for everyone is to find what they can live with forever and do it.
Giving up things is wonderful if you can do it.
Remember, if you have a bad day or meal or days. keep trying.YOU CAN DO IT!!! I have had binges where I go over the 35 pts. ww allows you extra each week.But keep trying and you will find what will work for you. Like many of you I just want to be more healthy. Weight is something I can live with or I would not have gotten so heavy in the first place. Loseing it is very important, living more healthy is too.
I am going to jump off my horse and tell you all one final time....
WE CAN DO IT !!!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:30 AM
Assistant Moderator

There have been news stories lately that say that diet soda increases your appetite and because of this impedes weight loss. I use diet soda as an occasional treat so now wonder if it makes me over eat.

I am still following ww and have lost 8 pounds so far but still have a long way to go. I haven't gone over my extra weekly 35 points but do find I am hungry sometimes. I know it will get easier when the weather improves so I can exercise outside more. I find I can control my eating better on the weekends when I can focus on things I love doing rather than during the week when I am feeding small children constantly and am sometimes bored (like when they are all napping) I find I eat when bored so am working very hard to control that. Also, I am learning to cut out trigger foods. There are certain foods that if I try to eat just a little of will end up over eating. I am one of those people who the saying "You can never eat just one Lays potato chip" is true for. I try to stay away from potato chips, doritos, steak, cookies, ice cream etc. because it will trigger a binge. But as Candy says, if you get a really strong craving, it is better to eat a little of what you truly want than to try to substitute something else and end up eating more till you eat what you wanted in the first place. (I hope that made sense) I am trying to lose 20 pounds before JUne when my brother gets married. I need to lose more but am trying to keep my goals realistic. So far, 12 more pounds to go!

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 02-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning, ladies! It sounds like you are all doing well. My DH joined Weight Watchers through his employer, who pays for it (yeah!). I get to do it with him free of charge. So far, it has been a week and seems to be working out well. Today is weigh-in day, and DH is hoping for a weight loss of 5 pounds. I think he made it. I know that I was down 2 pounds when I went to the doctor on Monday, so I'm hoping for 4 or 5 pounds when I weigh myself later today. I have gotten my eating under control, now I just really need to work on exercising more.

I wish all of you good luck!

Kathy
Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Assistant Moderator

IMHO a 'serving' of chips is when the bag is empty! My downfall is chips. We almost never have any in the house. Also it is hard to find chips without sunflower oil.

I worked out one day this week. I have been busy doing things around the house. Not sitting watching tv. Not great but better!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

we dont have chips in the house so thas good but my downfall is choclate so i try not to have to much in the house. but i do have sugarfree candy and home made sugar free fat free cookies all the time

Old 02-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I can be OK about portion control on snacks IF I go ahead and put my portion in a bowl and then put the bag away. But if I sit there with the bag, watch out.

My goals right now are:
drink more water
eat more fruit/veggies
exercise 5 times a week

I think that in the late afternoon when I am rummaging for a snack of some kind I am going to have an apple instead.

I have 15 pounds to lose.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I weighed myself this morning. I lost 4 pounds this week! For this coming week, I'm going to try to kick up the exercise. I am currently walking 30 minutes everyday. I walk at a pretty leisurely pace. Starting tomorrow, I'm going to add another 30 minute walk but at a quicker pace. I'm also going to try to get back on the exercise bike this week. I will probably have to start all over at 10 minutes again before working up to more. My ultimate goal is 60 minutes a day on the bike.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Mann! I wish my hubbys employer would pay for us to go to WW! or curves or something! Id love to go

Portions control is hecka hard!! Ive got the crystal light thing down and Im drinking about 6-8 glasses a day of not more. I have 1 diet coke and ive went from Diet Coke to caffine free diet coke.
Somedays i do sneak in an extra one but it seems in not drinking it all!'
I HAVE lost some weight'but i feel like im starving ALL the time. I was told to add more protein in my diet and at meals when im still hungry after my portioned meal to eat more meat and not the sides. Protien is in the meat and is better than teh sides I guess.
Im trying soo hard and I just feel down and burned out! im so stressed out. ugh!

I also read about sugar free and diet sodas..does anyone know if it is true. Likeis it worse for us? it has that asparteme (sp) in it. is it hurting us?
Old 02-29-2008, 04:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Betty, the jury is out on the artificial sweeteners but I know that I can't eat anything with them in it. I get terrible headaches.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Nine Year Member

I had lost 20 lbs before Thanksgiving and since then have put 7 lbs back on that I'm having trouble getting off.

I have cut back on caffine by 50% but I don't drink much water which some days I do well and get 30-40 oz in me. I limit my pop intake to an average of 1 glass a day.

I also can't tollerate the artifical sweetners as all of them give me headaches over time and have an after taste that takes a day to get rid of.

A bit no no for me is eating out of the bag as I over eat way to much. DH has been snacking late at night which I haven't been able to resist joining in.

Roberta