FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Weight Loss (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/weight-loss/)
-   -   Need to make some changes (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/weight-loss/22012-need-make-some-changes.html)

Mish 03-20-2008 03:25 PM

Billy,Man oh man I had the munchies in the middle of the night and boy did that extra food taste good too.LoL!!I have been trying to watch what i eat.I need to eat more veggies and cut back on the carbs.I know I can do it.We eat alot more chicken here so that is a good thing too.

Mish :)

kathymac 03-20-2008 05:57 PM

Mish, I think it is so hard to cut back on carbs when the weather is so cold and nasty like it has been this winter. All I want to eat is comfort food!

Today was weigh-in day. I have finally made it past the 10-pound mark! And what is my reward for this feat? I get one less daily point allowance. Now I can only have 22 points instead of 23. Oh, well, at least I have finally found something that works well for me.

I'm really proud of myself, too. I have had the Easter chocolate in the house for about a week now and I have not even given it a thought. Usually, by this time, I have to go out and get more because I've gotten into it too many times!

Kathy

Bilby 03-21-2008 12:17 AM

I have been eating what is recommended in the diet that was given by curves for the food program, I think I've eaten a weeks worth of food for me in 3 days, I thought this morning I would explode!
On wed I wrote down what I'd eaten mixing and matching from the menu and I did the same for thursday and on thursday night I sat down and did the kilojoulle add ups (calorie intake) and then it dawned on me WOW I'm only supposed for my 61kg 160cm frame to eat 4,500 kj/1070 calories and the menu suggests 6500-7000kj (1550-1666 calories) way over more that is supposedly good for me ...... so as it's a long weekend and I can't ask questions till tuesday, I think I will be a blimp and my nickname will be Goodyear by I weigh in LOL
Q1 .. what happens if physically I can't eat all the food they want me to eat without puking
Q2 .. what gives with everyone of all shapes and sizes having the same kj/calorie intake when we really shouldn't.
I'm annoyed that I don't get to ask the questions till weigh in time .... but we will see where tuesday take me ... until then can I fit in a few easter eggs LOL, you betcha!!!!

Can't say I've ever woken up in the middle of the night cause I was hungry, but I hate when dh and kids get chips out at 8pm as I know I really really shouldn't but can't help myself, this is when I get a small bowl put a few in and am allowed NO more!! LOL

Sammi1961 03-21-2008 06:09 PM

Kathy, I can understand the being impatient in not being able to allow questions. Your plan makes me wonder how they can expect you to eat so much food yet lose weight. You will have to let me know what they say when you get the chance to ask cause that makes no sense to me at all. Do you like the workouts there? I have considered joining curves but don't know that much about it.

I have blown it for the 3rd week in a row and really need to get my act together. Honestly, I just sort of gave up but I still want to lose weight before my brother's wedding in June. If this darn weather would warm up it would make my life so much easier because I would not dread walking so much. I love to walk when it is nice out but this cold weather is a killer. I really just need to buckle down and stop eating so much and exercise more.

Candy 03-21-2008 07:50 PM

Hi all, Boy some people can just eat and eat and not gain weight,Then there are those of us who know we are eating way to much but can't seem to stop and then there are the ones that seem to gain just by looking at food.LOL My bil is thin and eat 4 full meals a day plus snacks and ets very little exercise.Sits in front of the computer most of the time. Getting older too. It is not fair those darn metabolisms.Wish I was a queen of long ago ...when the heavier you were the more they looked up to you and your wealth.LOL After all if we could eat well enough to be overweight we must be weathy...I wish.LOL
I know what I have to do and have done it before BUT I am not doing it!!! I am not giving up though, one of these days it will all come together.
I did find this neat web site called
sparkpeople.com
It is free and has recipes,menus and message boards and lots of other stuff. A lot like weight watchers but it does work better and did I mention it is free?LOL

Bilby 03-21-2008 09:13 PM

Candy just because your bil is thin and eats lots and not put on weight does not mean he can't be a diabetic, or have high cholesterol or ??
ds1 is very tall and thin and not put on weight in 3years but has gotten a foot taller, he thinks it's funny I watch the food but I keep telling him that does not mean in future he won't have health problems just because you're skinny does not mean you are healthy either, you never know these things.
After not eating much yesterday I feel better, and not so full, and about being back on the food but I'm not sure what to do about the calories. I'm not susre if I should cut the calories or just stick with until tues?

Sammi
Personally I love doing the work out, I find it easyish and you know 40 mins from walking in the door that you will be walking out again, it also helps that it is only a 5 min drive away for me, I do it first up in the morning that is allowable to me (usually 5.30 to 9am) as then I find that I try to make excuses not to go as the day goes on.
There are a lot of other activies they organise but I don't go in with as I'm not really there for that but it's up to your local curves what they do as extras.

kathymac 03-22-2008 07:27 AM

Sammi, it really is difficult to stay motivated. I am lucky that my DH is doing WW with me. Also, the weather has gotten a lot better so I find that I do walk more and am more active. Do you have a neighbor or friend who could walk with you? Maybe you could keep each other motivated.

Kathy, you are so right. Just because you're skinny doesn't mean you're healthy. My SIL is very thin and eats nothing but junk food. But she still has high blood pressure and has had kidney stones and other health problems. It is also possible to be heavier and be healthy. There are several girls on DD2's cheer team who are heavy in spite of the fact that they get a good workout at least three days a week. In addition to their competition routine, DD2's team runs laps and does a whole exercise routine at every practice.

Candy, thanks for the info on the FREE website. I will definitely check it out!

I wish you all luck in meeting your goals!

Kathy

bluebird 03-22-2008 09:10 AM

I have not been doing great either. I have stayed out of the Easter candy. I need to make menus for next week. That helps me so much. I want to try some Atkins meals. My dd could stand to lose some weight. Ds could use some extra protein and veggies to put on weight. Besides if I plan meals and not say diet or Atkins, no one will know.

I also checked out Deciptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. Basicly you add steamed pureed veggies to everything. There are some recipes I do want to try. I will need to adjust some recipes. Dd can not have any foods from the melon/banana family.

barbszy 03-22-2008 12:37 PM

Bluebird, I looked at that book but the premise made me mad. I don't like to hide stuff from my family to sneak vegetables into their food. I don't think that ultimately teaches good eating habits.

bluebird 03-22-2008 12:44 PM

I agree Barb. My kids are older and do a fair share of the cooking. They know I have the book. There will be no lying. I think that is what the book does, having mothers lie to thier children to get them to eat a healthy diet. What is wrong with teaching kids that carrots are sweet an yummy? Is a 1/2 cup of prureed califlower in mac and cheese really going to help the veggie quota for the day?

Mish 03-22-2008 05:36 PM

For me I am doing pretty good.I have about 6 pounds before I hit my goal weight.My problemn is I hit the goal and gain it back.Tonight I took my dog for a walk.It is a good time for me and lets me think and kind of reflect on what is going on in my life.For me the main thing is to eat the best I can and make sure to take the vitamin too.

Bilby 03-24-2008 02:44 PM

Good going Mish, nearly there :)

Well I went to curves this morning and the teacher for the a/h class was on. I asked her my KJ question and she said that they/we are woking on our metabolism or metabolic rate, we are trying to change that hence the protein (which by the way I'm having trouble with the recomended amt as by that time I'm over in KJ, go figure LOL) Yes you're supposed to feel full, but keep eating you won't really puke, which I found reassuring LOL, it's recallabrating your stomach workings.
Soooo lets see what happens when I go to the class tonight, bread even whole grain is my weakness, sigh.

bluebird 03-24-2008 04:48 PM

I managed to workout today. My eating have been okay sans the Easter candy! lol

goldeagle1 03-24-2008 07:04 PM

Connie,
My dd cannot have melons or bananas either. Did you know that people with that type of allergy are also usually allergic to latex/rubber products. When my dd eats melons/bananas, her throat actually swells up and itches like mad! I hope your dd doesn't have a severe allergic reaction.

-- Sue
:sunnnn:

kathymac 03-25-2008 06:05 AM

Well, I did terrible the past two days. I decided I was not going to count points on Easter. It was a holiday and I was going to enjoy it! Of course, I ate way too much at dinner. I got a pretty bad stomachache in the evening. Serves me right!

I'm more upset about yesterday. The lemon bars and jelly beans just kept calling to me all day. The one plus (?) to all this was eating so bad actually made me feel sick.

Today I am determined to get back on track. No more lemon bars. Thankfully, the jelly beans are gone! Since it's a beautiful day, I am going to take Cocoa for one of our long walks. Weigh in is in two days.

I hope you all do well today.

Kathy

goldeagle1 03-25-2008 09:07 AM

Good for you, Kathy! I have a feeling that you are going to be very successful today with your walking and eating. I got up too late today to take my jog, but I'm determined to watch my caloric intake carefully today. I'm certain that we'll both do well today!

:sunburn:

bluebird 03-25-2008 09:58 AM

I worked out yesterday and felt great. I feel great today too. lol

Sue, my dd has a list of food she is allergic to but can be around. Bannanas and melons are on that list. Then she has a list of food she is very allergic too. Throat swells shut, etc. The ER knows us well.

I played around with almost veggie burger recipe yesterday. Ds likes it, dd is being picky. It needs some work. Not bad though!

Bilby 03-25-2008 02:36 PM

I found that there is merrit in having a glass of milk with your meals, it's protein and fills you more to make you last longer and not nibble.

bluebird 03-25-2008 03:35 PM

Ick... I don't like milk and milk doesn't like me. LOL

Sammi1961 03-25-2008 04:49 PM

Kathy, I love milk and drink a lot of it. I just switched from 1 percent to skim milk to try to save calories

hummingbird_0331 03-25-2008 06:43 PM

Ok THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for ALL the support! I REALLY APPRICIATE IT ALL!
I LOVE YOU LADIES SO MUCH!!:blooming:

I have started to exercise and walk on the treadmill!!

So Im hoping that ive lost some!! cant really tell right now (period time) ugh

But im hoping to try and find some meal plans and try to figure out that stuff I NEED HELP!! lol

Bilby 03-25-2008 09:22 PM

Ahhh now I didn't say that I like it LOL just that is has merrit in the protein count, me personally can't drink milk straight unless it's ice cold and has a flavour of some kind in it. Now the kids can drink it plain and always have, how does it go "Do as I say not do as I do" LOL
I'm having my milk in a choc protein shake, I make 1 up and have half for morning tea and half for arvo tea.

kathymac 03-26-2008 07:54 AM

Connie, do you like soy milk? I've been drinking 2 glasses of soy milk every day with meals. Kathy's right. It does help you feel fuller. It also gives you some extra protein, calcium and vitamins. I get 8th Continent Light. I think it's pretty good.

Sue, thanks for your faith in me! I actually didn't do so well yesterday. But, I didn't do as badly as I had the two previous days - lol! I am definitely back on track today, though. I had a bowl of oatmeal and some grapes for breakfast. I'm definitely taking Cocoa for a long walk today as well.

Hummingbird, good job on starting to exercise. I know it's hard, but try not to concentrate too much on weight loss at first. Just being able to stick to an exercise program is a great first step. Way to go!

Ladies, I hope you all have a wonderful day today.

Kathy

Fun4theFam 03-26-2008 08:10 AM

good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymac
Connie, do you like soy milk? I've been drinking 2 glasses of soy milk every day with meals. Kathy's right. It does help you feel fuller. It also gives you some extra protein, calcium and vitamins. I get 8th Continent Light. I think it's pretty good.

Sue, thanks for your faith in me! I actually didn't do so well yesterday. But, I didn't do as badly as I had the two previous days - lol! I am definitely back on track today, though. I had a bowl of oatmeal and some grapes for breakfast. I'm definitely taking Cocoa for a long walk today as well.

Hummingbird, good job on starting to exercise. I know it's hard, but try not to concentrate too much on weight loss at first. Just being able to stick to an exercise program is a great first step. Way to go!

Ladies, I hope you all have a wonderful day today.

Kathy

Hey Kathy... Besides soy milk, what else are you drinking? I have cut down on my soda intake. Sometimes I get bored with just my usual water for the day so I have decided to spice it up a little. {Edited by Asst. Administrator. Post of this nature are considered spam on FC. Further posting of this nature will result in being banned from this website. If you have any questions, please contact ajrsmom. Thanks.}

bluebird 03-26-2008 08:12 AM

Yes, I buy the soy milk. I have never tried it plain. I will do that today!

I walked downtown yesterday. That was my workout for the day. Not much but I don't want to over do it.

I too have been focusing on wieght loss or the wieght I haven't lost. I wanted to have lost ten to fifteen pounds by now. Oh well.

I will be walking Gizmo more too. Right now it is all she can do to walk downtown and back home. Sometimes I have to carry her home. LOL She is getting better and stronger every day.

Mish 03-26-2008 01:03 PM

Billy,Thanks for the inforamtion on the milk I had no idea about it helping you not to nibble and I could use all the help I can get.I have been going for walks with the dog when it is warm enough outside.Seems to be a big help for me.

Bilby 03-26-2008 02:40 PM

For us winter will be here in a month or so, so I plan to make my coffees with warm/hot milk to give me the full feeling.
The other option is to have cheese on crackers or 1 slice of toast made with a slice of good thick low fat cheese, not so bad if you don't like milk then, or cottage cheese or cream cheese (low fat on both) I love wholemeal/wholewheat(?) crackers with philly cheese and sliced tomato with a crack of pepper for a snack.

Looking at labels, those low in fat often make it up in sugar so just check it's not toooo much sugar. If you can find something that is low in fat, sugar and calories hang on to it as that's a truly good thing LOL

Also watch the serving size remember that in a packet of large chips that there is usually 6 servings ... or more, 1 serving is fine occassionally but don't eat the whole packet, divide by serving size and pop the rest away.

It's all stuff we know really but I guess it's the prompting to remember every now and again. I know I used to look at this stuff when the kids were babies and toddlers, but I've gotten lax about it over the years.

Fun4theFam 03-26-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammi1961
I am slowly but surely getting my eating back under control though still have a ways to go again with portion control. 3 days goofing off and already it is hard to get back on track. I am exercising again, though, and have been taking the dog for 30 minute walks every night. The warmer it gets and the nicer out, the more I will walk and the longer. I wish spring would just hurry up and get here. I am tired of walking in the cold!

Sammi- I know how you feel! Taking baby steps is the best way to go! {Edited by Asst. Administrator. Post of this nature are considered spam on FC. Further posting of this nature will result in being banned from this website. If you have any questions, please contact ajrsmom. Thanks.}

bluebird 03-26-2008 04:51 PM

I like soy milk in smoothies. Soy milk has 6 grams of protien, cows milk has 8 gram of protien. I will be drinking more soymilk.

Does anyone here low carb?

Sammi1961 03-27-2008 06:36 AM

Fun4thefam, I am going to have to try the new Snapple antioxidant water. I have been drinking sparkling water in place of soda but would love something with more flavor as well.

I have started walking again and as it is a tiny bit warmer here, I am walking longer. Snow predicted again tonight though. Yuck. I know it will all be gone soon.

we r family 03-27-2008 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebird
I didn't lose weight last year. This year I am making changes.

I have found I eat too darn fast. Slow down my eating, drink more water.

I can do some exercise. I will make a journal of what I can do and what hurts. I am having problems with some scars.

I am trying one new food on the family a week.

Remember to take my meds and vitamins!

Stay off the phone! I have a df who talks and talks. I need to stop doing this. My kids will help me.

Less white flour! Fewer potato dishes!

I am going downstairs right now to find a book on exercise I want to review.

Taking it one day at a time worked for me! {Edited by Asst. Administrator. Post of this nature are considered spam on FC. Further posting of this nature will result in being banned from this website. If you have any questions, please contact ajrsmom. Thanks.}

kathymac 03-27-2008 11:35 AM

Today was weigh-in. I have lost a total of 13 pounds! I was quite surprised after the two bad days I had. I honestly think it is because I have been more active now that the weather is nicer. Also, even when I have a bad day now, it's nothing like how I used to eat.

Kathy

goldeagle1 03-27-2008 11:53 AM

Way to go, Kathy! I just got back from a vacation, so I'm afraid to get back on my scale. However, I have 2 fun social events coming up in a month (a 30-year hs reunion and a family get-together), so that should motivate me to watch what I eat!

bluebird 03-27-2008 01:50 PM

Good for you Kathy!

Sammi1961 03-27-2008 06:08 PM

Kathy, congratulations on the weight loss!!! all your hard work is paying off!

I am exercising again but still need to do better on my eating. One day at a time I guess.

hummingbird_0331 03-29-2008 03:19 PM

Id love to drink milk to make me fuller and give me te vitamins i need but I cant drink it, it makes my belly HURT!! I think I mayb be lactose intollerant & IBS! ugh

Snapple water is alright..my fave drink is called FIZE..mmm its VERY good and the ones I drink are called slenderize. I also drink crytal light every day all day. ive been tryin to drikn a bottle of PLAIN water daily too..thats HARD for me. i dont like it plain and its hard to get down for me.

Rice cakes are gettin old and blah anymore
I need to find thing that are tasty and good at the same time..
UGH!
this life change stuffs hard!!!!

I have been tryin to portion and read all serving sizes and have been doin pretty adrn well on snacking-I get what it says like 13 chips and put the bag away!!!

Walkin on the treadmill almost every day were up to 15 mins (which I know dont sound liekmuch but its a weight loss workout) you incline and speed up and slow down and speed up! lol its tiring
plus hubbys got us doin some weight and boxing stuff!!

barbszy 03-29-2008 04:30 PM

Betty, my dad used to work for the FUZE beverage company, before it was sold (I think to Coca-Cola?) We tried lots of the flavors. Unfortunately they don't seem to be making the flavors I liked best :(

Bilby 03-29-2008 05:39 PM

Good for you Kathy :)

Does anyone read the labels on the backs of flavoured water and sparkling water products? May be different here but I find that they all have calories of some kind in them so I stear well away from them, I'd rather have the chocolate bisciti/cookie at the end of the day instead. Just curious.
I drink 2 litres of filtered tap water a day but find if I leave a glass or bottle on the bench, when I walk past I just grab a mouthful or 2 and find in no time it's gone

barbszy 03-30-2008 04:53 AM

I stay away from the flavored waters as most of them have artificial sweeteners ranging from nutrasweet to "sucralose." If I want flavor in my water, a little squeeze of lemon juice does the trick very nicely.

RobertaD 03-30-2008 05:11 AM

I agree I don't what 50 calorie WATER I'd rather drink tap water with a dash of lemon or lime in it for flavor and have a mini candy bar:hopp: hmmmm to many mini candy bars since Easter for me. I really need to buckle down as I've gained most of the weight that I had lost before Thanksgiving.

I have found that doing different kinds of exercise challengees my body. I do Curves 2-4 times a week but walking up 5 flights of stairs is OH MY WHAT WAS I THINKING! I got the Crunch Cardio Go-Go Dance dvd through Points & Prizes and did it for the first time on Friday and 15 min into it I was ready to drop but was able to do some form of what they were doing for the whole 40 min. work out.

Roberta