FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Weight Loss (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/weight-loss/)
-   -   Need to make some changes (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/weight-loss/22012-need-make-some-changes.html)

Mish 03-05-2008 04:50 AM

Still having a smoothie instead of the candy is better for you.Way to go.Last night I did work out now I just need to cut back on the bad eating habits I have.

Mish :)

Sammi1961 03-05-2008 04:54 AM

Connie, I drink smoothies all the time - sometimes I make my own, sometimes I buy pre made. I figure they have got to be healthier than candy bars. A lot of times I drink the yoplait yogurt smoothies for breakfast - my favorite is vanilla.

kathymac 03-05-2008 05:44 AM

Connie, a smoothie was an excellent choice for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up!

I got off track yesterday. I didn't do too much damage, but I had to use 6 of my splurge points. Today, I'm definitely going to get back on track. Tomorrow is weigh-in day!

Kathy

bluebird 03-05-2008 06:04 AM

I weighed myself. No impressed at all! I have gained some weight. I know it has been the potato chips I have been buying for us on the weekends. That stopped last weeked. I am trying not to eat 'white' during the week. I did have a hamburger bun yesterday but no shake! Last night I tried a new recipe for Italian omlett. Yummy! It is a keeper. Everyone liked it.

bluebird 03-06-2008 06:54 AM

I have discovered something else about using menus. I don't think about food as much. Needing to make everything from scratch, my mind was focusing on food. Now I know tonight is spag and I need to make sauce and meatballs. Wow. Maybe this is where my energy is coming from?

kathymac 03-06-2008 10:59 AM

Connie, I agree - having a menu made up for the week does make life much easier in many different ways. Now, I take whatever I need out of the freezer before I go to bed at night. Next night it's thawed for dinner and you're right, I didn't give it a thought all day!

I weighed myself this morning. I lost another pound. I have lost a total of 8 pounds in 2 weeks. DH has lost 7. He was a little bummed, but his WW group leader told him that he was right on track. You should lose between 0.5 and 2 pounds per week. The slower you lose it, the more likely you are to keep it off. I certainly hope so!

Kathy

bluebird 03-06-2008 11:52 AM

Yeah for you Kathy!

Also losing weight slowly helps our skin to shrink at the same time.

bluebird 03-10-2008 06:00 AM

I have lost two pounds! Plus the kids baked cookies and I had part of one cookie. I didn 't want the rest of it.

kathymac 03-10-2008 08:02 AM

Connie, that's awesome! It sounds like you are off to a great start. Sweets are definitely my weakness. I'm not sure I'd be able to stop at 1/2 a cookie!

Kathy

barbszy 03-10-2008 09:06 AM

:clapp: Great job, Connie!

I got a book at the library, Small Changes Big Results. It has 3 changes for you to do each week. I'm going to try to follow that. The first week, you have to start a food journal. I can see that this will work for me, because I don't want to have to write down some bad stuff :lol: Even if no one sees it but me, having it in writing is worse.

Mish 03-10-2008 12:00 PM

Way to go Connie.The food journal does sound like a good idea.No one even has to know what goes into it.I have been so bad.I have only been exercising 3 times a week,.Oh well today is a new day and no excuses!!

goldeagle1 03-10-2008 12:43 PM

I know that many people swear that a food journal is the best dieting helper. I've never done one myself, but I keep telling myself that I should. Oh well, I jogged a 5K this morning and I'll try to watch what I eat the rest of the day.

:rainb:

Sammi1961 03-10-2008 02:12 PM

I am doing WW online and you have to keep track of what you eat every day. I think that is what holds me accountable though I have to admit that last week I did not stick to my diet at all. this week I am trying to get back on track. Once the weather gets nicer I can walk more as well. right now the roads are so icy and narrow because of snow it is hard to walk, especially at night as you can't get out of the road when cars come. Walking is the one exercise I like and stick to.

Mish 03-11-2008 04:50 AM

Well last night I did exercise.I can't seem to stop the nightime nibbling.I have noticed I just don't want anything for lunch so I have been eating a baked potatoe for lunch.I think my carbs are abit out of control and I am really trying to get that back.

Sammi1961 03-11-2008 05:10 AM

Oh I ate way too much yesterday - even caved and ate some potato chips before bed last night. I can't remember the last time I ate chips. I did walk, though so that was at least a little compensation. I really need to get back on track. I am tired of the cold and the dark when walking. I hope to amp things up when it warms up a bit

Mish, baked potatoes are not bad for you if you are careful with the toppings. They add fiber and are filling.

bluebird 03-11-2008 07:34 AM

I want to make some peanut butter balls, only using soy butter. Peanut/soy butter, honey, pwd milk. I think those will satisify my sweeth tooth but still be good for me. I had a recipe many moons ago that had wheat germ in it too.

kathymac 03-11-2008 09:44 AM

Sammi, I'm doing WW too, and I agree - writing everything down and tallying up the points is keeping me honest. The other thing I find helpful is checking off how much water I drink and servings of fruit and veggies. I'm not very good at drinking enough, but I am getting better at it.

Two more days until weigh-in. I'm hoping to have lost a few more pounds this week.

Good luck!

Kathy

Bilby 03-11-2008 12:41 PM

I'm still being a bit bad from christmas and it's time to get over it. Even still doing curves 5 days a week.
My hardest part of the day is about 2pm which is weird as I've usually not had lunch that long ago but can't seem to help myself, sigh.
No problems after dinner but on occasion I do have a few little pretzels with ds2.

Candy 03-11-2008 09:22 PM

Hi all, sounds like you all got a handle on your journey....
I know Sammi said you are on WW online. Does yours take forever to load? I joined but did not renew because it just took to darn long to load or save. Anywho I have lost 7 1/2 lbs so far ...I am still struggling daily with food. I read somewhere to add water to your peanut buter and you won't use as much.I did this ..just added a spoonful or two to a little peanut butter and whipped it up. I think I am using about half as much as it goes on celery and such a lot easier and smoother.
also read in a prevention magazine that sour dough bread is better for you than whole wheat. this was basing everything on a GI index which decides how fast our body breaks it down and uses it. Potatoes are not bad carbs in this Glusimic index(sp). Any one eles ever heard of this GI diet?

Sammi1961 03-12-2008 05:28 AM

Candy, when I signed up for WW online there is really nothing to download. It is just a website and after you sign up you get a personal page to keep track of your weight and what you eat and your points total plus any exercise you do. Exercise points can be traded for food points as well. It just takes a few seconds to bring up your food tracker. The only thing different about WW online than going to the meetings is that you have to weigh yourself at home and you don't have the support that meetings offer. I was not comfortable attending the meetings (some women were so fanatical about their weigh ins they took off every piece of jewelry and wore the lightest clothes they owned (I wore jeans and freaked everyone out LOL) I have to say the online program is very easy to use and you can even get recipes.

Kathymac, I have trouble drinking enough too. I drink maybe two glasses of water a day so know I should drink a lot more. I do drink skim milk with dinner and have started drinking sparkling water in place of soda when I crave soda's fizziness. I do pretty well with the fruits and vegetables but do find I am hungry sometimes.

didn't stick to my plan too well yesterday either but did walk longer so haven't gained any weight, I just haven't lost any in two weeks either. I need to amp it up a bit, walk more and stop snacking! it is hard to get back on track after you stop for a couple days.

Candy 03-12-2008 07:56 AM

Sammi, I said that wrong. I was in it for three months.I loset 150 lbs using the system with no support before. Gained 50 lbs back after this darn wreack and thought the online would give me the boost I needed. This time I thought the boards and the online tracking would be better.Every time I went there it took like 5 minutes to load a different page.My pages change in less than a minute at this website. I was spending too much time there. I did like it if I could get around faster. The recipe search was nice thought. I saved recips I got by the pt. value. When I typed in my info on the tracker and hit the save button it would take so long that I would end up lossing the info. Something was wrong but I don't know want! I liked the boards and the interaction with others.

bluebird 03-12-2008 09:18 AM

Candy, I haven't heard of that diet. Can you post some more information on it or some webdites?

We keep Stevia flavors on hand. Mix them with fizzy water and a no cal soda. My kids swear by the Vanilla Cream for upset tummies. It is pricey but rememer you only need about 16 drops of Stevia per large glass.

Candy 03-12-2008 10:09 AM

Connie ,I hav'nt really got into it yet but here is one website that will explain it a little.
http://www.gidiet.com
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/gi_diet.htm

Candy 03-12-2008 10:20 AM

her is another one: I googled it.
anagement.com/ld_glycemic_index.aspx?src=G003054AC04&kw=glycemic%20index%20diet&gclid=COGmuJ-XiJICFQNKxwod_FgBEg

Mish 03-13-2008 04:23 AM

Well yesterday I did end up taking the dog for a 45 mintue walk.I am going to try and take her on more walks and see if that can help me out.I think will the weather getting warmer here I will be outisde more.,Now if I could get my eating habits to be better I would be soo happy.

Sammi1961 03-13-2008 05:53 AM

I am slowly but surely getting my eating back under control though still have a ways to go again with portion control. 3 days goofing off and already it is hard to get back on track. I am exercising again, though, and have been taking the dog for 30 minute walks every night. The warmer it gets and the nicer out, the more I will walk and the longer. I wish spring would just hurry up and get here. I am tired of walking in the cold!

kathymac 03-13-2008 02:03 PM

Well, I went completely off-track yesterday. DH wasn't home for dinner, so DD's and I got Chinese food. It was so good that I just pigged out!

I weighed myself this morning, and so far, I have a lost a total of 9.5 pounds in the past 3 weeks. That is great, but I was hoping to get past the 10 pound point this week.

I have been a little more active this week. I think the warmer weather is helping to motivate me more.

Kathy

goldeagle1 03-13-2008 02:11 PM

I've also been trying to lose a few pounds (actually, I'd love to lose these last 10 pounds!). I still run a 5K about 5 times a week, but I need to keep better control over my eating habits. My downfall is that my dh comes home from work and eating is clearly a stress-reducer for him (not healthy at all). Since he is snacking in the evening, I tend to join him. I just have to quit that habit and try to encourage him as well.
:lep:

Mish 03-13-2008 03:16 PM

That has been my story for many years trying to lose the last few pounds from when I had kids.I did go for a pretty long walk with the dog today.It was for almost an hour.Tonight I am going the ymca.So I might try and swim or workout in the fitness room.I need to try and work on toning my body up too,.Been trying to eat better too.

hummingbird_0331 03-16-2008 03:12 PM

Well i dot know whats up with me but lately I feel as if im goin insane! i am so emotional and just down and feel stressed adn out of control with life!

This is makin me nuts
Ive never tried as hard in my life ad I have now and its not helping me anyways!

I limit my portions, i eat more meat when i do go for seconds. I havent been eating nearly as much candy or sweets, and IF I do I limit the sizes. Now some candy I d eat more of- licorice and the so called fat free stuff. My downfall is still sweets thou. Just not nearly as much!'

I also have been only drinking crystal light and still yert one serving (glass or can) or pop a day. I dont drink coffee, drink alcohol or smoke so I allow myself a pop a day! But I havent been drinking regular water 0its always crystal light. IS THAT BAD???

However, I am still torn by the diet or no doet thing. Ive went to Caffiene free now too. not just regular diet anymore.

Ive been tryin to "snack" heathier too
Like sunchips and not potaoe chips.
I eat rice cakes and I have been eating light or lowfat yogurt. Which I still dont knwo whats better either..lol

I only eat wheat bread and have lowered pretty much everything to low fat. light or fat free (mayo- pbutter, salad dressing, butter...)

I DONT eat breakfast. it makes me sick! I know I NEED to figure out a way to eat it but I just cant do it!

I have been told to NOT take everything away from myself. Allow myself stuff i want just portioned out . to not deprive myself from something I want once a week-like a candy bar ro bowl of ice cream. it just has to be a serving (reading on the back of the items) which is mostly 8oz-1 cup.

I NEED a plan. I need a layout type of thing to see what and where i need to be at and doin.

I CANT motivate myself and I find myself cryng adn so upset I want to curl up in the corner and be left alone. Its really getting to me

Our insurance WONT/DONT cover a nutrisonist or dietician to help me and I cant afford curves, ww or anything else to help me.

I DO have some equipment to work out on-but I LACK motivation and energy!

bluebird 03-16-2008 04:29 PM

Hugs Hummingbird!

One thing I have learned is most low fat or fat free foods have more sugar. Most yogurts have more sugar than pudding. Do some research on nutrasweet. You will need to decide what to believe. I do not trust nutrasweet. I have some in a pop now and then. Drinking water is one of the best things you can do for your body. Again that is something you will need to decide if you want to do it.

What do you think about keeping a food diary for a week?

Candy 03-16-2008 09:44 PM

(hugs) Hummingbird, You have to decide what will work for you; without going crazy. If you are an emotional eater, you have to figure out what to do with all those emotions that you're NOT squashing with food. This is hard but it does get easier as time and results go on. Hang in there sweetie, you can do this!

RobertaD 03-17-2008 02:57 AM

I know I need to get serious about dieting and excerising again now that a very hecktic time is over for me.

I avoid the artificial sweetners as they give me headaches and a nasty after taste. I figure sugar in limited amounts is better for me and my family then the sweetners.

Roberta

Sammi1961 03-17-2008 04:56 AM

Hummingbird, I love soda but quit drinking it all together. When I do crave a soda, i drink a sparkling water and either add a lemon slice to it or a bit of fruit juice. I have read several studies that say artificial sweeteners cause you to feel hunger more so can cause over eating. I try to avoid them but on the rare chance I do drink a soda I drink diet soda. I think one thing you could try is to write out an eating plan for each day. Figure in 3 meals a day plus two healthy snacks. I think if you try to cut out everything you love or crave you will feel deprived and that can lead to binges. So if you crave a dish of ice cream, have half a cup of ice cream. Just watch portion sizes. I, too, am struggling with getting back on track after goofing off for two weeks and gaining back 2 of the 8 pounds I had lost. I have started walking again. Please don't be too hard on yourself. This losing weight stuff is hard work and it takes time and patience. I will say exercise does help me with my moods. I try to walk every day. It is good we are all here to support each other. Just take things one small step at a time.

bluebird 03-17-2008 05:24 AM

Looks like I gained two pounds. I will try harder this week. I didn't get my menus made last week. I think that was a lot of my problem. I also forgot to buy my high fiber cereal so I ate cream of wheat. I need to write down this weeks menus too. I think I will build another blog.

kathymac 03-17-2008 05:56 AM

Hummingbird, hugs. Losing weight and getting healthy is definitely not easy. If it was, obesity and all of the related health problems would not be the huge problem that it is. Don't beat up on yourself. You have the desire to make changes and it sounds like you're willing to do the hard work required. So give yourself a pat on the back.

I think starting a food journal is an excellent idea. I have also heard a lot about diet sodas being bad as far as weight loss goes. I've heard that the artificial sweeteners trick your body into thinking you're getting something sweet. When that doesn't happen, you crave sugar. I have given up diet soda and switched to water. I will treat myself to a diet soad maybe once a week.

I also think you really need to eat breakfast. How about a piece of fruit? I have found out that yogurt is high in sugar. I use it as a dessert item once or twice a week when I crave something sweet. I layer it with blueberries or strawberries and a little granola.

As far as exercise goes, I'm still working on that. I just don't enjoy it. I do go for a walk everyday for 30 minutes with my dog. I try to add a little extra in whenever I can. For instance, I will park farther away when I go to a store. I figure every little bit helps.

I wish you the best of luck. We are all here to encourage you and each other. I know we can all do it!

Kathy

Mish 03-18-2008 05:32 AM

Hummingbird,You can do it.I am sure you will find a way to have something small for breakfast.It really sounds like you are doing all the right stuff.Make sure to try and exercise and maybe start a blog so you know what you are eating.Oh and the girls are right about the cravings it is ok to give in just make sure the portions of it are small.Hope we can all help you and others out.

Hugs,
Mish:)

Bilby 03-18-2008 01:40 PM

I went to my curves health and wellness night last night, the programm/diet that is a basic weeks worth of meals is a little beyond me as there is so much food BUT, we were told it does not matter if it's not all eaten but give it a try, mix and match menus to make your day work. That was good because if I feel set in a plan I feel frustrated and hemmed in, makes me want junk food more.
I was told to work on at least 5 meals a day, the 3 mains and morning and afternoon tea, try not to eat after 7pm, I don't anyway.
Eat more protein a lot of diet foods are low fat but have more sugar, sugar is easier to work off/get rid of than fat so that is still better.
Soooo before curves this morning at 5.15am I had my yoghurt, I usually have this when I get home, then I had an egg on toast at 7am with my usual cup of tea. I bought the protein shake and will have that for morning and afternoon tea, but have not yet thought beyond that .... soooo lets see how I go over the next 6 weeks and if it all works :)

Also it was said that whn you say diet, your body automatically starts storing fat for the lean times ahead (throw back to waaay back hunters and gatherers) so try not to think so much about the word diet.

.... and easter is coming YIKES!

Mish 03-19-2008 05:34 AM

Billy,Sounds like you are doing ok and You can do it too.For me I did my workout last night and I am trying to not eat at nightime too.That is very hard for me to do.Good thing Easter is coming and before you know it we will be in our swim suits here.

Bilby 03-19-2008 01:08 PM

Mish lucky for me after east winter will be coming I can cover up with woolly clothes after all those chocolate eggs LOL

Lifestyle change not a diet, lifestyle change not a diet, Lifestyle change not a diet, lifestyle change not a diet, Lifestyle change not a diet, lifestyle change not a diet, if i say it often enough it might help LOL