FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Weight Loss (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/weight-loss/)
-   -   Need to make some changes (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/weight-loss/22012-need-make-some-changes.html)

hummingbird_0331 02-20-2008 04:16 PM

Wow, I def feel the pain N love here!!
Im trying to and its HARD!! I will def admit it!!
Ive made some major changes too

Ive cut back from 5-6 cans of Diet Coke and am down to 1 a day (but some days i will have 2--not often but sometimes)

I have been drinking more water and crystal light!
Ive cut back on portions and sizes and doin the protien bars and jack links beef jerky when i want to snack here n there. IF I decide to have something I shouldnt or something sweet-I will make sure its in the morning where i can burn it off thru the day!

Ive also been trying to eat a yogurt a day!..
Ive been trying to eat ore protien things-to fill myslef up faster and better!
ITS VERY VERY HARD!!

bluebird 02-20-2008 04:25 PM

Well, I haven't done great this week. I am watching my portions. I haven't worked out. I have been running my fanny off. Tonight the kids and I made pizza. I use oatmeal in the crust. Lots of veggies on the pizza.

The kids picked out a dvd that is really neat! We have watched this one. http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movie...Kick%20Workout This one is a keeper for us. Think light kick boxing.

I will try to get on the treadmill tonight.

bluebird 02-20-2008 06:19 PM

I did walk on the treadmill for 12 minutes. A year ago I couldn't walk on the treadmill for 3 minutes. I am going to try to increase my time by one minute each workout.

I am also making fruit desserts. Low sugar and lots of oats. My kids are eating them too.

Flutterby84 02-21-2008 09:44 AM

hey ladies - i was just looking through your thread about eating healthy - what a good job you all are doing. i am too trying to watch what i eat and especially what i drink - a soda or a lattee can put you back like 300 calories! but i found a great alternative when i want something sweet - TAVA. its a new sparkling beverage that comes in great flavors like Cherry and Lime. i've been enjoying it a lot and particularly because it has no sugar, no calories and no caffeine. has anyone tried it?

kathymac 02-21-2008 10:10 AM

It's been quite a while since I've posted and I have definitely gotten off track. Our family got whacked with ANOTHER cold, and that sidetracked my exercise program. But I am ready to jump back in. My perimenopausal symptoms have eased a little, except that I have been bleeding for a month straight now. Only two episodes of flooding, though. I see my OB-GYN on Monday.

In the meantime, I have gotten off caffeine completely (Yeah, me!), stopped drinking diet soda, have been eating more whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables and cut way back on sweets. Valentine's Day did me in, but now all of the chocolate is gone, and I will NOT buy anymore. I have found that my sugar cravings have diminished somewhat.

As far as exercise goes, I have done a 30-minute walk more often than I used to, but not everyday like I would like to. I did get on the exercise bike. I started out at 10 minutes, and worked up to 50 minutes. But then, I got sick and haven't been on for about 4 or 5 days. I'm still feeling pretty crummy today, so I think I will wait until Saturday to get back on.

I wish you all the best of luck. We can do this!

Kathy

bluebird 02-21-2008 11:33 AM

I have switched to a soy milk decaf lattee. I used to get gas station capuccion every time I was in town. Now they are toooooo sweet. If I get one I 'water' it down with decaf coffee. Saves on calories. I am playing with my expresso maker so I can make good coffee at home.

Sammi1961 02-21-2008 04:33 PM

I have lost 8 pounds following the Ww points plan but it is a struggle. I am watching portion sizes but still need to drink more water. I have cut back sweets almost entirely except for the occasional low fat granola bar. I need to fit in more fruits and vegetables during the day - I tend to eat more grains than fruits and veggies. I started exercising again but have stopped again due to yucky weather. It is so cold and icy here. I really need to get motivated and just bite the bullet and brave the cold.

barbszy 02-27-2008 09:50 AM

This is a great thread. I'm going to try to be making some changes for myself as well. I need to get back to exercising and also drink more water.

I only drink one soda a day (decaf) and I drink decaf coffee as well.

goldeagle1 02-27-2008 10:28 AM

Barb-- That is great that you only have 1 soda a day. Diet soda is my weakness and I drink way too much. I'm good about exercising and fairly good about eating, but I need to drink more water and less Diet Coke!

:lep:

Bilby 02-27-2008 11:31 AM

For me my diet coke is a weekend treat, as long as I have been good during the week I don't count how many I have on the weekend. Also I find weekends harder to watch my food intake as the whole family is around and they eat like a pack horse LOL

Candy 02-27-2008 12:19 PM

Hi all, This is a great thread.
For me :
I lost over 150 lbs. doing weight watchers.
I then wreaked and since then(dec 2006 ) I have gained 50 lbs. Self medicating with food and basically using food for every excuse possible.
Well ,I think I finally got a handle on this.
For me :
I eat whenever I am hungry. Weather it be at night or whenever.
I totally have to pick apart why I want something to eat. If my stomach isn't hungry which is most of the time, I don't eat. If I can't resist I eat what I'm hungry for cause I know from past experence I will eat the sensible thing and then everything in sight until in the end I end up eating what I really wanted. If I can make the culprit ss and or ff I will if I can do so without losing flavor. It is very hard.
I know I can do this as I have it down pat for me...all I have to do is set my mind to it. If I am hungry for a sweet ,I eat green beans or something else less offending then I eat one of those 100 cal pks of something sweet and good!LOL Or 1 cinnamon roll or 1 doughnut or 2 cookies or.....
you get the idea.
For me I have to do something I can live with,forever. I don't do formal exercise but do increase my daily movement. The key for everyone is to find what they can live with forever and do it.
Giving up things is wonderful if you can do it.
Remember, if you have a bad day or meal or days. keep trying.YOU CAN DO IT!!! I have had binges where I go over the 35 pts. ww allows you extra each week.But keep trying and you will find what will work for you. Like many of you I just want to be more healthy. Weight is something I can live with or I would not have gotten so heavy in the first place. Loseing it is very important, living more healthy is too.
I am going to jump off my horse and tell you all one final time....
WE CAN DO IT !!!

Sammi1961 02-28-2008 05:30 AM

There have been news stories lately that say that diet soda increases your appetite and because of this impedes weight loss. I use diet soda as an occasional treat so now wonder if it makes me over eat.

I am still following ww and have lost 8 pounds so far but still have a long way to go. I haven't gone over my extra weekly 35 points but do find I am hungry sometimes. I know it will get easier when the weather improves so I can exercise outside more. I find I can control my eating better on the weekends when I can focus on things I love doing rather than during the week when I am feeding small children constantly and am sometimes bored (like when they are all napping) I find I eat when bored so am working very hard to control that. Also, I am learning to cut out trigger foods. There are certain foods that if I try to eat just a little of will end up over eating. I am one of those people who the saying "You can never eat just one Lays potato chip" is true for. I try to stay away from potato chips, doritos, steak, cookies, ice cream etc. because it will trigger a binge. But as Candy says, if you get a really strong craving, it is better to eat a little of what you truly want than to try to substitute something else and end up eating more till you eat what you wanted in the first place. (I hope that made sense) I am trying to lose 20 pounds before JUne when my brother gets married. I need to lose more but am trying to keep my goals realistic. So far, 12 more pounds to go!

kathymac 02-28-2008 05:50 AM

Good morning, ladies! It sounds like you are all doing well. My DH joined Weight Watchers through his employer, who pays for it (yeah!). I get to do it with him free of charge. So far, it has been a week and seems to be working out well. Today is weigh-in day, and DH is hoping for a weight loss of 5 pounds. I think he made it. I know that I was down 2 pounds when I went to the doctor on Monday, so I'm hoping for 4 or 5 pounds when I weigh myself later today. I have gotten my eating under control, now I just really need to work on exercising more.

I wish all of you good luck!

Kathy

bluebird 02-28-2008 06:44 AM

IMHO a 'serving' of chips is when the bag is empty! My downfall is chips. We almost never have any in the house. Also it is hard to find chips without sunflower oil.

I worked out one day this week. I have been busy doing things around the house. Not sitting watching tv. Not great but better!

Bunny 02-28-2008 09:37 AM

we dont have chips in the house so thas good but my downfall is choclate so i try not to have to much in the house. but i do have sugarfree candy and home made sugar free fat free cookies all the time

barbszy 02-28-2008 10:41 AM

I can be OK about portion control on snacks IF I go ahead and put my portion in a bowl and then put the bag away. But if I sit there with the bag, watch out.

My goals right now are:
drink more water
eat more fruit/veggies
exercise 5 times a week

I think that in the late afternoon when I am rummaging for a snack of some kind I am going to have an apple instead.

I have 15 pounds to lose.

kathymac 02-28-2008 05:44 PM

I weighed myself this morning. I lost 4 pounds this week! For this coming week, I'm going to try to kick up the exercise. I am currently walking 30 minutes everyday. I walk at a pretty leisurely pace. Starting tomorrow, I'm going to add another 30 minute walk but at a quicker pace. I'm also going to try to get back on the exercise bike this week. I will probably have to start all over at 10 minutes again before working up to more. My ultimate goal is 60 minutes a day on the bike.

hummingbird_0331 02-28-2008 10:04 PM

Mann! I wish my hubbys employer would pay for us to go to WW! or curves or something! Id love to go

Portions control is hecka hard!! Ive got the crystal light thing down and Im drinking about 6-8 glasses a day of not more. I have 1 diet coke and ive went from Diet Coke to caffine free diet coke.
Somedays i do sneak in an extra one but it seems in not drinking it all!'
I HAVE lost some weight'but i feel like im starving ALL the time. I was told to add more protein in my diet and at meals when im still hungry after my portioned meal to eat more meat and not the sides. Protien is in the meat and is better than teh sides I guess.
Im trying soo hard and I just feel down and burned out! im so stressed out. ugh!

I also read about sugar free and diet sodas..does anyone know if it is true. Likeis it worse for us? it has that asparteme (sp) in it. is it hurting us?

barbszy 02-29-2008 03:13 AM

Betty, the jury is out on the artificial sweeteners but I know that I can't eat anything with them in it. I get terrible headaches.

RobertaD 02-29-2008 05:24 AM

I had lost 20 lbs before Thanksgiving and since then have put 7 lbs back on that I'm having trouble getting off.

I have cut back on caffine by 50% but I don't drink much water which some days I do well and get 30-40 oz in me. I limit my pop intake to an average of 1 glass a day.

I also can't tollerate the artifical sweetners as all of them give me headaches over time and have an after taste that takes a day to get rid of.

A bit no no for me is eating out of the bag as I over eat way to much. DH has been snacking late at night which I haven't been able to resist joining in.

Roberta

Sammi1961 02-29-2008 05:26 AM

Hummingbird, I have read several stories (Health magazine, The Today Show etc.) and all are saying that artificial sweetners increase appetite. Not sure why this happens. I don't like artificial sweeteners because they seem to leave a bad aftertaste in my mouth though I can occasionally drink a diet pepsi. Lately I am trying to stay away from diet sodas and drinks and am trying to drink just skim milk, water, or an occasional glass of juice. I am also staying away from cookies, chips etc., foods I know will trigger me to eat too much. I won't give up popcorn though. My doctor told me that eating a small amount of protein with each meal helps stave off hunger and i find it does work. At breakfast I will eat a piece of whole grain toast with 2 tsps of peanutbutter on it. For a snack I might each 10 unsalted almonds. I usually have fish or chicken or a small portion of beef with dinner. I can't decide if I feel hungry sometimes because I feel 'deprived" so it is a psychological thing or if I am really hungry so I try to wait it out and see if the feeling passes or not. Basically I am just trying to make healthier choices and cut back on portion sizes. But if I am really hungry, I eat something, just try to make a healthy choice. Also, fiber can help with hunger so a piece of fruit like an orange or an apple helps.

hummingbird_0331 02-29-2008 11:52 AM

Gah! IDk what to do anymore..
I have been told to drink crystal light and water. Which thats all Ive been drinking all day everyday! I have the single packets and just dump em into my water bottle and drink it up!
I was drinking plain water and stopped doin that since im drinking it with teh crystal light! i do have my 1 diet coke a day -which is now caffiene free diet coke* I have heard that regualr soda makes you gain more weight than diets but no im hearing all this different stuff and idk what to do /think
Im SO confused. I just wish I knew of accuracy!

I know that I feel hungry pretty much all day long so something isnt goin right.
I have lost some weight, not alot but some..
and I havent been workin out-which I know I need to and it would help big time!!
But--I am also being told by a friend who went to a dietician- that your supossed to eat protein at each meal and wait until 15-20 mins after your done eating to know for sure if your still hungry and want seconds-and IF you do then eat the meat (protein) and not the sides! so ive been doin that
I still eat things I want to eat-just less and i "try" to limit myself.

Candy is my downfall (sweets) but I try and limit it

I ave also been trying to eat a yougurt a day! but its hard to figure out which ones better. Light or lowfat or regular. Ive looked on teh back of some of them to compare and some of them the regular is better than the light or lowfat. but I was told to look at the protein! IDK!!
Im getting depressed mroe each day over fighting this battle!!

kathymac 03-01-2008 05:07 AM

Hummingbird, I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. It seems like everyday we're given conflicting advice about what we should or shouldn't eat. For me, personally, what is working is trying to eat as "naturally" as possible - fresh fruit & veggies, whole grains (no white flour), lean meats like chicken and fish, and high fiber. I have given up drinking diet sodas as I have heard quite a bit about how they actually make you crave sugar more. I don't know if that is true or not, but I figure I'll just drink water and skim milk. I have found that my cravings for sweets have basically gone away.

I have found that a great snack that fills me up is a Kashi bar. They are high in protein and fiber and come in different flavors. My favorite is the cherry dark chocolate. I'm hooked on them!

I wish you luck and hope that you won't give up.

Kathy

Sammi1961 03-01-2008 10:00 AM

Hummingbird, I have trouble figuring out yogurt too. Some of the low fat ones are very high in sugar. Mostly i eat the light ones because they use fewer points in ww. Eating a little protein with each meal does help keep you feeling full longer. I think it is the artificial sweetners that make people want to eat more. I did cut out white bread etc and eat a lot more whole grains now including whole grain bread. I have lost 8 pounds so far but seem to be stuck at the moment which is very discouraging

kathymac 03-01-2008 11:15 AM

Sammi, way to go on the weight loss!! Good luck on getting "unstuck" and continuing to lose!

Kathy

Bilby 03-01-2008 02:55 PM

On the diet sugar and soft drink thing I heard that like a lot of things what works for one, is not necessarily what works for another. It can have a negative effect on some.

You just have to figure what dos and don't work for you personally, try it for a week and if it doesn't go how you want, take it out of your diet.

Last night was a big pig out with pizza with family here for a birthday, so I think I need lots of exercise this week and watch my food intake .... pizza was great though LOL

Candy 03-01-2008 07:33 PM

Connie, It is confusing with all you hear. I really believe you just gotta try each way till you find one that will work for you. We are all different which when you think of it makes the world go round.LOL
Don't get discouraged, You can do this! I know you can girl!!!

kathymac 03-02-2008 05:54 AM

DH and I went out for dinner last night to Panera's. I got a bowl of vegetable soup and 1/2 of a chicken pomodoro sandwich. I was surprised that it only added up to 10 points (calculated from the nutrition info on their website)! I ended up the day with two points left over.

This morning I weighed myself again. I'm down another 2 pounds! So far, in the past week and a half, I have lost 7 pounds. But even more important than the weight loss, I feel great - more energy, etc., and this is an eating plan that I think I can stick to.

I hope each of you finds what works for you.

Kathy

bluebird 03-02-2008 08:51 AM

Everyone is doing great!

I started a new weekly menu plan. It is working very well. I really love it. Dh and I are going to try a Atkins type diet. With dd's food allergies we have to tweek everything to make it safe for our family. My downfall is sweets. I will be reading up on high protien diets this week. I lost thirty pounds ten years ago on Atkins. Between the female problems and surgeries and west nile it is no wonder the weight is back. My body has been thru hell. One thing I won't change is our Sunday dinners. Dh has been making fried chicken dinner every Sunday. It means a lot to the family so that is our free day.

I realized the other day, I am not needed a nap every day! For the first time in almost two years! Or longer I choose not to do the math!

kathymac 03-02-2008 12:42 PM

Connie, I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better. Hopefully, that'll help with your weight loss goals.

I agree - don't give up on the Sunday dinner! Like the Jell-O commercial says, "Every diet needs a little wiggle room." Having that dinner with your family every week will be so much better for you than giving it up.

I wish you luck in meeting your goals.

Kathy

Sammi1961 03-03-2008 05:06 AM

Connie, I wouldn't give up the Sunday dinners either. Not only is it a tradition for your family, a day off from any diet program is a good thing. It helps to have a day off to keep you on track all the other days!

This weekend I goofed off and ate too much pizza on Saturday night and homemade mac n cheese last night so today I am back on the program. I don't think I lost any weight last week so that is discouraging but this morning I got up and walked so hopefully I will start losing again. Unfortunately, the weather around here is not cooperating as we are expecting sleet and snow the next couple of days. Looks like it will be crazy dancing with the dc kids for exercise on those days.

bluebird 03-03-2008 12:19 PM

I decided I need to look at what my body has been through.

1999 car wreck, (farmers and their darn cows) started bleeding within a week, had a hsyt six months later. I asked for both ovaries to be removed. I don't know anything so the ovaries stay. Problems with the surgery, I almost died. Go thru heck before I find a HRT that works.

Woman rearends me. Whip lash.

2002 not feeling well, doctor puts me on anitdepressants. Nothing changes, I give up on doctors.

2003 Rushed to the ER with ruptured apendix. Transfered to a different hospital for surgery. During surgery it is dicovered my right ovary had twisted on itself 720 degrees. Ovary is black and purple, 5 inches x 6 inches. The tube is ruined. Cysts had gone into the tube and it had exploded. I asked for my ovaries to both be removed but of course I don't know anything.

2003, six weeks later. In ER, more cysts on the left side. Dr does not want to do more surgery. Also I can not stand up straight and it hurts to walk. I am walking hunched over like a old lady. I am 33.

Ditto ditto ditto ditto until

July 2003, see my regular gyn. He throws a fit. I have surgery ASAP.

Aug, surgery finally! Dr removes golf ball size scar tissue and stitches.

Sept, scar turns black. Back to the doctor. He drains it. I am to call in everyday and hot pack the scar for 20 minutes four times a day.

Scar opens up. Dumb *&^ doctor left a sponge in. Very nasty looking scar. Plan to lose weight and get a tatoo to cover it up!

2004- 2005 Feeling better! Oldest son causing tons of stress. Decide to attend online college.

2005-2006 Attend online college. While at the college for our weekend practice, I am bitten and contact west nile. Sleep for the next four months. Then I have a cancer scare. Need a biopsy. Heal from that. Change colleges. Gone three to four days every week. Grant and loan money disappered at old college. In other words they kept it. Burning out, need to stay home. Quit college for now. Later I find out my credits will not transfer. Bummed.

Okay there is a GOOD reason I have gained thirty or so pounds! I can't wait to be thin and healthy again.

Bunny 03-03-2008 02:38 PM

I was told by my DR to chew my food longer than normal and that it would help and to drink plenty of water before and during Dinner and it helps as now I eat very little. I used to be 210 and Now I stay between 123 and 130 and I feel so much better, also I was told that if you skip a meal dont skip breakfast as you will gain more weight if you do so I never do that any more, Hopt that everything works out for you.

bluebird 03-03-2008 03:52 PM

Yes, I have read to chew our food until it is a liquid. We hurry thruogh our meals. Don't eat in front of the tv or computer.

Sammi1961 03-04-2008 04:22 AM

Connie, you certainly have been through a lot in the past few years. You are making some very positive changes now and are definitely on the right track.

I did well on my diet yesterday till I got home from my meeting and ate a big chocolate chip cookie. I figure today is another day and a new start.

kathymac 03-04-2008 05:40 AM

Connie, you have certainly been through quite a lot! I wish you luck on your weight loss goals.

Sammi, the Girl Scout cookies got me yesterday! I ended up eating 4 of them. But, as you say, today is a new day. I'm back on track.

Kathy

goldeagle1 03-04-2008 07:43 AM

Connie,
You have certainly been through a great deal -- physically and emotionally. Don't stress about weight. Just do what you need to get yourself feeling better emotionally and the other stuff will take care of itself.

:4leaf:

RobertaD 03-04-2008 08:51 AM

I found the copy my FIL had given me years ago of The Diet Workshop that he'd gone through at work and took off about 20 lbs in a short period of time. So I'm going to try to follow that the next couple of weeks and see how things go.

Roberta

Mish 03-04-2008 11:11 AM

For me I am still trying to get motivated to just work out.Oh and trying to stay motivated to eat well too.I need to go back to not eating at nightimes too.I have been pretty good about drinking the water now I just need to try and eat better.

Mish :)

bluebird 03-04-2008 03:12 PM

While shopping in town today, I had my middle of the afternoon slump. Instead of reaching for a candy bar I did buy a smoothie. I perked up. Not frugal by any means but okay every once in a while.