Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hugs Hummingbird!

One thing I have learned is most low fat or fat free foods have more sugar. Most yogurts have more sugar than pudding. Do some research on nutrasweet. You will need to decide what to believe. I do not trust nutrasweet. I have some in a pop now and then. Drinking water is one of the best things you can do for your body. Again that is something you will need to decide if you want to do it.

What do you think about keeping a food diary for a week?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

(hugs) Hummingbird, You have to decide what will work for you; without going crazy. If you are an emotional eater, you have to figure out what to do with all those emotions that you're NOT squashing with food. This is hard but it does get easier as time and results go on. Hang in there sweetie, you can do this!
Old 03-17-2008, 03:57 AM
Nine Year Member

I know I need to get serious about dieting and excerising again now that a very hecktic time is over for me.

I avoid the artificial sweetners as they give me headaches and a nasty after taste. I figure sugar in limited amounts is better for me and my family then the sweetners.

Roberta
Old 03-17-2008, 05:56 AM
Assistant Moderator

Hummingbird, I love soda but quit drinking it all together. When I do crave a soda, i drink a sparkling water and either add a lemon slice to it or a bit of fruit juice. I have read several studies that say artificial sweeteners cause you to feel hunger more so can cause over eating. I try to avoid them but on the rare chance I do drink a soda I drink diet soda. I think one thing you could try is to write out an eating plan for each day. Figure in 3 meals a day plus two healthy snacks. I think if you try to cut out everything you love or crave you will feel deprived and that can lead to binges. So if you crave a dish of ice cream, have half a cup of ice cream. Just watch portion sizes. I, too, am struggling with getting back on track after goofing off for two weeks and gaining back 2 of the 8 pounds I had lost. I have started walking again. Please don't be too hard on yourself. This losing weight stuff is hard work and it takes time and patience. I will say exercise does help me with my moods. I try to walk every day. It is good we are all here to support each other. Just take things one small step at a time.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 03-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Assistant Moderator

Looks like I gained two pounds. I will try harder this week. I didn't get my menus made last week. I think that was a lot of my problem. I also forgot to buy my high fiber cereal so I ate cream of wheat. I need to write down this weeks menus too. I think I will build another blog.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hummingbird, hugs. Losing weight and getting healthy is definitely not easy. If it was, obesity and all of the related health problems would not be the huge problem that it is. Don't beat up on yourself. You have the desire to make changes and it sounds like you're willing to do the hard work required. So give yourself a pat on the back.

I think starting a food journal is an excellent idea. I have also heard a lot about diet sodas being bad as far as weight loss goes. I've heard that the artificial sweeteners trick your body into thinking you're getting something sweet. When that doesn't happen, you crave sugar. I have given up diet soda and switched to water. I will treat myself to a diet soad maybe once a week.

I also think you really need to eat breakfast. How about a piece of fruit? I have found out that yogurt is high in sugar. I use it as a dessert item once or twice a week when I crave something sweet. I layer it with blueberries or strawberries and a little granola.

As far as exercise goes, I'm still working on that. I just don't enjoy it. I do go for a walk everyday for 30 minutes with my dog. I try to add a little extra in whenever I can. For instance, I will park farther away when I go to a store. I figure every little bit helps.

I wish you the best of luck. We are all here to encourage you and each other. I know we can all do it!

Kathy
Old 03-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hummingbird,You can do it.I am sure you will find a way to have something small for breakfast.It really sounds like you are doing all the right stuff.Make sure to try and exercise and maybe start a blog so you know what you are eating.Oh and the girls are right about the cravings it is ok to give in just make sure the portions of it are small.Hope we can all help you and others out.

Hugs,
Mish
Old 03-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Assistant Moderator

I went to my curves health and wellness night last night, the programm/diet that is a basic weeks worth of meals is a little beyond me as there is so much food BUT, we were told it does not matter if it's not all eaten but give it a try, mix and match menus to make your day work. That was good because if I feel set in a plan I feel frustrated and hemmed in, makes me want junk food more.
I was told to work on at least 5 meals a day, the 3 mains and morning and afternoon tea, try not to eat after 7pm, I don't anyway.
Eat more protein a lot of diet foods are low fat but have more sugar, sugar is easier to work off/get rid of than fat so that is still better.
Soooo before curves this morning at 5.15am I had my yoghurt, I usually have this when I get home, then I had an egg on toast at 7am with my usual cup of tea. I bought the protein shake and will have that for morning and afternoon tea, but have not yet thought beyond that .... soooo lets see how I go over the next 6 weeks and if it all works

Also it was said that whn you say diet, your body automatically starts storing fat for the lean times ahead (throw back to waaay back hunters and gatherers) so try not to think so much about the word diet.

.... and easter is coming YIKES!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Billy,Sounds like you are doing ok and You can do it too.For me I did my workout last night and I am trying to not eat at nightime too.That is very hard for me to do.Good thing Easter is coming and before you know it we will be in our swim suits here.

Mish
Old 03-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Assistant Moderator

Mish lucky for me after east winter will be coming I can cover up with woolly clothes after all those chocolate eggs LOL

Lifestyle change not a diet, lifestyle change not a diet, Lifestyle change not a diet, lifestyle change not a diet, Lifestyle change not a diet, lifestyle change not a diet, if i say it often enough it might help LOL