Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 06-10-2002, 11:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

MY 146 pound weight loss

Yes my subject title is correct.... I lost 146 pounds and have kept it off for over 2 years. I just wanted to post to tell all who are trying to lose or are struggling with weight loss.... that it is possible. I literally lost half of my body (I have pictures to prove it... lol... not that I like looking at the fat me!). Yes I do have my set backs and gain back a little (holidays are hard) but I never allow myself to get out of control or fall back into bad habits (and yes we all have them). I kept a journal when I was losing and every once in a while I go back and re-read it for encourgement. Why I was successful this last attempt and not in the previous 40 years of trying ....who knows!! I had lots of inspiration but mostly I did it on my own. Now I am an inspiration to family, friends, co-workers, neighbours. I just found a plan that worked for me, kept very basic rules and stuck with it. It took a long time to get to my goal but I never lost sight of it (it took me 40 years to get to 288 pounds so I knew it would not be overnight to lose it). For those who need a little encouragement may I just say... think positive, take one day at a time, find a buddy really helps and most important.... it is all worth it!!
Old 06-15-2002, 02:41 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You should be VERY proud of yourself!!!

What determination you must have had, I am so impressed with your weight loss!! And even more impressed you have kept it off, you are truly an inspiration!!!
Old 06-17-2002, 01:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow, Meamom! You are an inspiration. It is wonderful to see that someone has lost it and especially KEPT it off for 2 years! I find myself losing motivation because the road seems so long. I have approx. 80 lbs. to lose (have already lost 20) but I want to lose it RIGHT NOW lol! :p Can I be nosey and ask how long it took you to lose the weight and what type of "diet" you were on?

Again, Way to go!
Old 06-18-2002, 06:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb HOW I DID IT

Hi Maisy
Thanks for your kind words.
It took me about 16 months to lose 146 pounds (my first month I lost about 14 pounds and then I started averaging about 8-10 pounds a month). I followed a basic plan of eating about 1200-1400 calories a day - which I did in 3 meals plus two snacks. Breakfast became my most important meal. I did the 8 glasses of water thing and made sure to get lots of exercise - which is very important (at least 30 minutes to an hour every day), walking at first and then other things swimming, biking, aerobics, tennis, light weight-training for toning. I can tell you how envigorating, refreshing and empowering the exercise makes one feel and healthy. Other than that there were several bad habits I had to break (giving up potato chips and bread for example) but it was worth it. I went from a size 26 to an 8.
Nikki
Old 06-18-2002, 12:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just wait to say way to go meamom. That is so awsome. Thanks for posting that. You have great determenation.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

WOW!!!

I don't even know you and I'm proud of you Nikki!! I can imagine how proud you are of yourself! You lost a whole person worth of weight.

I too need to loose a "good bit" of wt. I'm 5'0 and weight about 215-220(42 yrs.old). I know it's not good for me-I'm a nurse to boot-and I know all the complications that can occur. I just can't get to that point of saying "that's enough".

I admire anyone who has taken that step. When I first started nursing, I had a patient that was 298 lbs. when I weighed her.
She burst into tears!! I thought a first that she was upset because she weighed so much but I was wrong. She was happy!! She had been trying to loose weight and for the first time in 10 yrs. she weighed less that 300 lbs (she was at one time close to 375!) I has so happy for her-although, saddly, my co-workers could only see someone who weighed almost 300 lbs-they didn' understand how hard she had worked to weigh ONLY 300 lbs.

So again-great job-

Proud American
Old 06-22-2002, 07:16 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

WAY TO GO MEAMOM!

Your weight loss is great. I have some to lose, but don't we all. I tried to eat healthy, but with the kids and all the activities we always seem to be heading out for fast food before a game or on the way home from the game.

I do try to walk everyday. I walk to my dh work atleast 3 times a week and that is 2 miles. It takes me between 25 - 30 minutes. It all depends on how I am feeling that day.

I went out and bought a treadmill. I have used my kids as an excuse not to find time to use it. I usually sit down at 9 at night and am toooooo tired to use the treadmill at that time. There I am doing it again. The other excuse is it is toooooo late at night. Hopefully I will run out of excuses soon.

I do get exercise doing my gardening. I love to garden. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Maureen
Old 06-24-2002, 04:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

You Go Girl!!

I think we're all probably guilty of using our kids, jobs, schedules, etc... as an excuse not to exercise or eat right, but Meamom is proof positive that it can be done!
Thank you so much for the inspiration!!! :p :p

Keep your words soft and tender as you may have to eat them tomorrow!
Old 06-24-2002, 01:45 PM
Jamelle

blushing great way to lose weight

There are some awesome success stories. My husband and I recently started a get healthy plan the past two weeks. We have learned of a great way to access your fat, so when you excercise you actually use your fat for energy rather than the sugar in your blood. It's great stuff. I would love to share what I found with anyone. E-mail me with any questions [email protected]
Old 10-21-2002, 08:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks

Congrats Meamom!

I clicked on your story, because I too have about the same amount of weight to lose. I started a weight loss plan about 6 weeks ago. I am doing many of the things you said worked for you. After the the first 5 weeks I have lost 20lbs. One thing that I do and I think it really helps is ---I write down everything I eat. It really helps me be more aware of how much I am eatting and what I am eatting.
Thanks for showing me it is possible to lose even after years of being heavy. I am 45 and have been over weight most of my life.