Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Weight Loss Trying to lose weight? You are not alone. Find a buddy or simply get support here.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Free style dieting anyone?

Hi my name is Candy. I weigh a lot. I need to loss any weight I can. I have lost over 100 pounds 4 different times. So I know it can be done!!! I slide back into the old eating habits and gain it all back within 2 years or so. I know the mindset I must acheive...it is just so hard to stay there. I eat for every reason there is. Happy sad glad mad lonely nervous scared and because I deserve to eat the same stuff every one else does!! Yeah Right! NOT! I have no money or insurance...so I do it on my own. Any one want to be my buddy for the thick and thin of it? I don't care to be thin -just more healthy. At this point I have trouble walking. I have always had back pain and exercise can make it worse...after I lose some of the weigh I get more active till I reach a level that I can exercise ...but truthfully I am not a exercise type person. Once I can move easier I do enjoy things like bowling ,walking, and I love to swim. Swimming doesn't hurt like most things. I like to run laps in the pool. My Game plan is the same as before cause it worked.
Lowfat, 20 or less grams a day 1500 to 1800 calories a day till I need to cut down a little . never under 1200- 1500. eat what I want one day a week. pasta and carbs I am fine with . I do miss not eating much meat. Need to remember the recipes I came up with for lowfat...good tasting food. Any help is definitely welcome. As far as exercise I park further from the store as tolerated try to walk more in my daily routine. Any body out there like me or enough like me to give it a go with me?
Old 07-13-2004, 08:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Cnady

I recently lost some weight not as much as you have in past but I still lost 30 lbs. I loosely followed the weight watchers plan on my own with some encouragement from friends. It really does help to have buddy!! Once I lost the weight I started to exercise and realized just how out of shape I was but I have made a commitment to myself to get in shape and so far it is working. I had to do it for myself though not my hubby,kids or anyone else. I woulsd gladly help you out along the road to your new self. Just let me know.......

debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 07-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Candy - I need to lose some weight too.

A friend of mine has lost 120+ pounds using The South Beach Diet.....and is still losing. Her Mom has lost 60 lbs also.

I am thinking of trying that. We do have a thread here designated for The South Beach Diet.

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...threadid=10927

Before I decide whether or not to try it, I want to check out some books about it from the library.

Would you be interested in being South Beach buddies????
Old 07-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi ... South beach deit ...I don't know about ,but I will look it over.
My intended start date is Sept 1. My store will be closed and I will be out of town and away from fast food on a daily basis. hopefully that in itself will help get me started. The sorta weight watchers seems more up my alley I think. I am also trying to locate some old journels because they had everything in them including some recipes I invented. I won't eat totally fat free foods or at least most of them cause they taste like crap. I will take fat free stuff and mix it with lowfat to futher reduce the fat intake . That works with some salad dressings. I like salad dressing made in my mom's old fashion style. She mixed mayo,vinagar,sugar,salt and pepper to make a great dressing-oh a little milk...well I changed it ...I use equal parts of fat free yougurt and miricle whip light ,vinagar,equal,salt and pepper. it's great too! sometimes it take a little extra miricile whip. I mention salad dressings because I don't mind eating salads but hate the fatfree dressings and the regular dressings are so high in fat and calories.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Candy

I am like you. I* absolutely hate any of the fat free products. I use a vinegar based salad dressing which helps cut down calories. I don't like anything with aspartame, it makes me feel ill so I drink lots of water instead of pop. I don't like fat free miracle whip so I just don't use it I find other things that work just as well instead. I have fallen off the wagon a few times this summer and have put on 2 lbs so I am trying really hard to get back on track thank goodness I work out or maybe it would be more. If you want a buddy for sept just let me know I would love to have someone to help keep me on track too!!!!

Have a great day

Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 07-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Looks like maybe we can have buddy group or rotations or something. LOL I can't stand feeling deprived so if I can cut fat or calories and still end up with something good O.K. I drink diet cola all the time. I am looking for diet rite soda pop now because it is made with splenda I think. I can not stay on a rigid diet. there has to fun foods and comfort foods and foods I like. Has anyone ever made bread pudding with skim evaporated milk, egg substitute and equal etc.? That's how I change stuff so I can have my cake and eat it too! LOL Trouble is I stopped making it that way when I went off plan. This last time I started trying to just cut back and it was working it took a whole year and 2 months to lose 38 pounds but it was painless ...then last year I was still 25 pounds to the good after Christmas but since I quit smoking Feb 2 I have gained 19 pounds back. I knew I would and am trying not to get depressed about it .... Anyway the smoking withdrawals should be mostly over and I should be able to get back on track ....and with all this support maybe we can go on Dr. Phil or something when we reach goal!!! LOL
Old 07-14-2004, 04:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

LOL Candy

That is why I liked the weight watchers so much. I could still have some fun foods or like you make them a little differently so I can eat them. I always allow my self to have a few "bad" foods so that i don't feel to restricted! It took me about 1 year to lose the 30 lbs too but I have kept most of it , except for 2!!, for anouther year. One thing i love in the summer is a tim hortons iced Cappachino.....I have a small made with skim milk...the sugar is still high but .......boy i love that as a reward!!! We have not seen the soda you talk about made with slenda here in Canada?? Maybe it will make it's way here next year. Our health laws are so strict that many products sold in the states never make it to Canada. Well I look forward to chatting with you over the next few months before you start. take care

Debbie

Hey congratulations on quiting smoking!!!! You are haelthier all ready!!

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 07-14-2004, 04:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Candy [/B]
I am looking for diet rite soda pop now because it is made with splenda I think.[/B]
Yes, it is made with Splenda now and comes in, as far as I've seen, 4 flavors.

My DH can't have Equal/Aspartame so he drinks Diet Rite.

If you can't find it, I could ship you some if you want.........

Quote:
Originally posted by Candy Has anyone ever made bread pudding with skim evaporated milk, egg substitute and equal etc.?
I would think you could do that.....except don't use Equal....use Splenda. It measures exactly like sugar. I use it all the time in baking....cookies, banana bread, etc.

We are going to the library tomorrow so I am going to look for a book or two on The South Beach diet and ready up on it.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

abear -Ihave made the bread pudding. I was use to the equal in my cooking but not the baking . But now I have tasted the splenda last night and it is great! I did find the diet rite soda at walmart last night and I got the white grape and cola....they were pretty good. I will be experimenting with Splenda now as well. Thanks I made my pickled eggs with equal now I can use splenda. my minds a whirling...so many things......

Debbie I agree ....we seem a lot alike in the diet arena. I like food to much and know if I put strong restrictions on my self I will just fail.