Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 02-12-2003, 08:07 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi guys. Well, looks like I am finally on the other side of the flu. Boy, it's been years since I've had it like this. Still don't have my full energy back yet but I think I can start paying attention to what I'm eating again. I blew it today and had two hamburgers at Wendy's. Oh well. Did ok at dinner. Had some roast beef on one piece of bread with just juice over the meat plus some brocoli.

So sorry to hear about your loss Angie. I had that happen to a friend a couple years ago. It takes a while to get over. Kinda makes you reevaluate importances.

Mary Beth
Old 02-12-2003, 08:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Angie

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Being 42 that certainly got me to thinking about how short life can really be. Hope you're doing okay and wanted you to know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Today

Well today I've done great! Breakfast was an egg white omelet, lunch was a yucky can of shrimp, it was horrific, and dinner was four slithers of pepper jack cheese. I'm about to die for something sweet but will not do it! I'm determinded. Looked at myself in the mirror and was almost sick.:mad:
Old 02-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

That "ugh" feeling!

Okay, I'm patting myself on the back but am even having a hard time doing that. Two days so far with NO sugar and I feel like I've been run over by a train. I'm so proud of myself and my husband is helping me too. He has loaded all the sweets in his truck to carry to work tomorrow and told me to not buy any more sweets for him at home. He knows I'll feel so much better when I get off the sugar for good.

But, I'm dying here!!!!!!!!!! I want some candy and I want it now!

Today I've had some bacon, peanuts, cheese, and pork rhines. That's it so far and am having baked chicken for dinner.

Oh, here's something interesting I found at the store. I bought regular ranch dressing because the low fat has a lot more carbs in it. I thought that was strange but then started looking at a lot of the sugar free and low fat items and it just amazed me. Found that it's best to buy the regular brands.

Anyone with any ideas on how to get past this weak feeling please let me know.

My diet buddy Marissa is doing wonderful and she's really been a big help to me. I don't want to let her down so I'm trying harder. LOL.

I need some energy.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:13 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Angie, I am so sorry for your loss.

I have not been very good at eatting...or should I say I have been good but at eatting the wrong things.
Today I did OK though.
We are in a snow storm as is most of the nation is in or was in the last 24 hours or so.
I made a nice healful dinner and my DS turned his nose up at it...how dare I mix sweet with his meat. Oh well took me years to get in the mind set it was OK except for chinese..it was always OK for chinese food.
I do not look for any loses this week. I will be grateful if I stay the same.
All my appointments for tomorrow are cancelled.
I am so glad I am off already, it relieves me of the burden of trying to drive 25 miles or not.
DS will have have off too. He is glad cause he had a test in bio scheduled. (he is in college)
I am getting my wash done as usual.
My neighbor's son, my DS's friend ventured accross the street...not far but it is deep, no signs of snow removal yet and it is still snowing. DS will do mine but he has a philosophy of waiting until it is done snowing...I always did a little at a time...he waits and does it all at once...the pleasures of youth. I do nothing now since I have a bad back.
Good Luck to you all.
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 02-17-2003, 07:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Darla, hang in there! I went off sugar about 10 years ago and I know exactly what you are going through. I was so sick the second or third day I didn't get out of bed! But it was downhill from there. People who say sugar isn't additive haven't tried to go off of it.
When I went off of it I was under the care of a nutritionist. I was taking vitamens. Also I was allowed to have some molasses or honey. Not a lot, mind you ,but you can't imagine (or you probably can now) how good that tasted after no sugar at all. I got some akmak crackers and would put a little butter on them and then either molasses or honey. I'd have maybe one or two. Just enough to take the edge off.
There are books and authors that will tell you that eating honey is no different than eating sugar. All I know is that I do not get the same reaction from honey. I originally went off sugar to handle a health problem which was candida. It had the same effect on me as what they now call fibermialga. I felt like I had the flu all the time. I ached all the time. I still will get it if I inadvertently get some sugar. But honey does not cause it, at least for me. When I went off sugar I lost 20 lbs in about 4 months. I never felt like I was starving, in fact I wasn't doing it to lose weight, it just happened. Of course when your cutting out sugar you are cutting out a lot of white flour as well.

I did not cut all the oil out of my diet but did butter, not margarine and tried to keep the animal fat down. If I ate bread I made sure it didn't have sugar in it. You really have to watch lables but there are sourdough and rye breads that don't have sugar. Actually there are quite a few out there now. As you have probably found, it's amazing how many foods have sugar added.
I have stayed off white sugar for the past 10 years. I never wanted to go through withdrawal again. I don't do brown sugar either. I do use honey and molasses still, in small amounts. Also there are a few other sweetners around now that do not effect your glyceme
levels. Splenda is one of them. Its not an artificial sweetner (which I stay completely away from).
Over the years my weight did creep back up, although I would still be considered in the ok range.
Anyway, if you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask. I know just about all the brands. I never shop without checking lables. As an example, for spagetti sauce, Hunts has a variety that has no sugar added and its right on the lable. When I see it I stock up because its not always available. The only peas that don't have sugar added are frozen etc.
If you stick with it it will be well worth it. You will probably find you have more energy than you remember having!
Mary Beth
Old 02-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Mary Beth

I use to never eat sugar and then the doctor told me that I had hypoglycemia so I got away from all sugar and never had a problem doing it until the past five years. It 's like I live on it and I think that can be contributed to my depression.
I feel like I've been run over by a train but I'm not going to touch any sugar of any kind. I'm not eating any breads or pasta since that seems to increase the cravings for me for some reason. Today has been tough. Over the weekend I had people here to help me and now it's just me and my dogs and they couldn't care less what I'm eating as long as they have some. LOL. There's a big box of cereal in the kitchen and it's driving me nuts! But I will not touch it! I won't!
Those artificical sweetners just tease me so I won't even mess with them. I'm living on cheese, tuna, egg whites, lettuce, turkey, pork rhines, and peanuts. That's it for right now and I'm starving. Oh, I say I'm starving but it seems to be that I eat out of boredom.
Thanks for all your information. I would love to see a list of what's good for you and what's not. I bought a book and it's got all the carbs and protein grams listed on almost everything.
Not needing to lose weight but I know I'll feel so much better. I would eat candy to the point to where I would get dizzy. Ugh.
Darla
Old 02-17-2003, 09:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I do feel your pain (like that's any help). I do have a book to recommend, especially if you are hypoglycemic. Its called "The Glucose Revolution" is has four authors: Jennie Brand-Miller Ph.d.,Stephen Colagiuri, M.D., Thomas M.S. Wolever, M.D., Ph.D.
and Kaye Foster-Powell, M. Nutr. & Diet.
Its very informative and also gives a pretty comprehensive list of foods and their glycemic indexes so you can make choices. For instance the glycemic index for Dates is 103 compared to oranges, which is 44 or cherrys which is 22. The lower level the better. I think I got mine at Amazon.com but you could also check half.com. It gives lots of examples for menu's and has recipes.
Mary Beth
Old 02-17-2003, 10:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hypoglycemia

I've got two books. One was written in 1918 and it's called "Hypoglycemia the stepchild of Diabetes" and the other is "Hypoglycemia and You." They're both great. I know what to eat and how often to eat, it's just doing it that's hard. It's the going without the sugar and bread and it's only been three days so I'm still going through those ever popular withdraws. Yuck.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

check out this article....

Was Atkins Right After All?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...tml?cmp=EM8707