Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-27-2003, 01:24 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Guys, like I said before I belong to www.CalorieKing.com. I started the beginning of Jan. and have lost 5lbs. This weekend was bad because Fri. nite my husband and I celebrated with dinner out because he got a job promotion and Sun. was our yearly Super Bowl Party. I gained back 1 lb. I don't think that is too bad and I am ready to get back in the saddle.

I am 45yrs old . 5'4" and right now 146lbs. I would like to lose at least 10 more pounds.

I count my calories and write everything down. It helps me to eat healthy. I'm also trying to lower my bad carbs. I'm Italian and love my pasta so this is hard for me.

Recipes might be a nice addition to this thread. It would be nice if they had the nurtitional amounts

Everyone have a great evening., Teresa
Old 01-27-2003, 07:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hey Ya'll,

O. K. , who else started today? I was very good today. Weighed in this morning at 180.5. I was not good enough to go for that walk before getting the grandbaby but I did get my Mom to come over (she lives next door) while he had his afternoon nap and got in 2 miles in the slooooow time of 30 min. 23 seconds. I walked the first 1/2 mile, sloooowly jogged the second 1/2 mile, walked the third and sprinted home. (Sprinted, good choice of words huh for someone who jogs slower than a lot of people walk )

I'm not a breakfast person, just make sure I got coffee and I'm good. I did have 1/2 an apple though around 10:30. For lunch a scrambled egg, 1/2 cup cooked beets, 1 slice of toast and the other 1/2 apple got me through. Dinner consisted of 3 oz. of cubed steak in gravy, 1 cup steamed cabbage and 1 cup homemade mashed potatoes. Throughout the day I have had 6 -16 oz glasses of water. (make way to the bathroom already )

I smoked for 20 years and had no trouble quitting. Eating though is a habit that is so hard to break. For one thing, you gotta eat. For another, I gotta feed my family. Keeping my portions at an acceptable level and exercising will get the weight off and keep it off but that's a lot easier said than done. Over the years I have lost 30 and 40 pounds at a time and kept it off for months and even a couple of years but it eventually creeps back on. If it were sweets I wouldn't have a problem because we just don't keep sugary snacks in the house, never have. I Love Food. Meat, Potatoes, Vegetables, Casseroles, Gravy (and lots of it), Bread, you name it and I will probably eat it. I cook a lot and I snack and sample the whole time I'm cooking. By the time the family sits down to the table Mom has had a meal already. Now that my kids are out on their own it should be easier. Cooking for two people, now I can just cook what my hubby and I will have for the evening meal and enough left over for his lunch the next day.

We'll see how it goes. I'll weigh in next monday after, hopefully, being good all week and the scales will tell the tale.

God Bless,
Angie
II Timothy 2:15
Old 01-27-2003, 10:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi guys! Phew, what a day. Ever notice when you decide to do something life tries to get right in there and snarl it up? Anyway, I didn't weigh myself this am but I have been running between 155-160. This am I had a cup of cottage cheese with 1/2 cup pinapple and an apple. Lunch is always hard for me because my job requires me to drive all over so I never know where I'm going to be and I'm too lazy to fix something to take along. Often times I skip altogether, which isn't good. Today I stopped at a health food store and got a yogart with blueberries and an Atkins bar.
Got home late and reeeaaallyy wanted something comforting (it was not a good day) but knew I was going to have to post (thanks all!) so instead I had a hamburger patti with a slice of cheese on one piece of oat bran bread with some mushrooms and broccoli. I made an apple crisp from a recipe from "The Glucose Revolution" and will have some of that before I go to bed. I feel stuffed actually. My job is pretty active but I know I should be doing some exercise. I love to walk and do at work but never seem to get to it once I get home. I hate to run or jog. I've thought about getting some kind of exercise video. Any suggestions? Couldn't be too vigerous to start as it doesn't take much to throw my back out.
Overall we've had a pretty good start guys! Thanks for being there. See ya tomorrow.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:41 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hey Ya'll,

O. K., so here's the thing.....can you tell I'm just trying to come up with a good excuse right off the bat?

The day started off pretty good. Breakfast was once again 1/2 an apple (I love apples). Lunch was the rest of yesterday's beets, an orange and 1 1/2 oz tuna on toast. Dinner was a problem. Cooked a boston butt this afternoon for BBQ using a homemade sauce recipe and that happens to be one of our favorite things. I'm not even gonna tell ya'll how much I ate. I did get in 5 16oz glasses of water though and I walked 2 miles late this afternoon. Took me 34 minutes to do it so I guess jogging part of the way will get me there a little faster huh?

Tomorrow is a new day and I'm not gonna cook BBQ again until I've lost at least 10 lbs. Hope everybody else had a little more self control than I did.

More tomorrow night.....

God Bless,
Angie
Old 01-29-2003, 06:20 AM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

Angie maybe you aren't eating enough during the day and you pig out for dinner. My husband used to not eat breakfast and eat only an apple,banana, for lunch and would eat tons for dinner. He started eating regular meals during the day and now is eating a regular dinner and he is losing weight.

Don't get me wrong, I am not an expert. It just seems like you are starving yourself during the day.

I exercised yesterday for 30mins. and will try to again after dinner today.

Breakfast: Cheerios with milk, 4oz. yogurt, tea

for lunch I will have tuna w/wheat pita bread and small salad

dinner Chicken, carrots, 1 cup mashed potatoes (lowfat milk,salt,pepper, no butter or gravy)

Snack 2 small clementines
Good luck everyone, Teresa
Old 01-29-2003, 11:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Don't know if this will help anyone who is hungry during the day, but somebody once told me that eating protein in the morning helps keep that hungry feeling away.
I usually have a egg white omlette (made with veggies on hand- mushrooms, peppers, onions, etc. and 1T of FF cheddar cheese), toast (dry) and juice for breakfast. It seems to help me thru to lunch.
Lunch for me usually invovles a lot of vegetables, fruit or fresh salads.
About 3 pm. I will have a piece of fruit or a low fat snack, as dinner is usually 6pm or later for me. It helps keep me from eating everything in sight when I get home from work.
Dinner is usually some protein, more veggies and a little carbs.
I also get my 8 glasses of water in everyday---somewhere.
This is working for me right now, but that's just me.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hey Ya'll,

Teresa, thanks for the advice but, what I am eating now is more than enough during the day to make me feel full as long as I drink all that water and chew gum. My problem is that I cannot stop myself with some stuff and my BBQ is one of those things. Like I said, we're not having it here til I lose 10 lbs. I did have a small portion of it at lunch today and after last nights fiasco I made myself stop with that.

Today was indeed a new day. My regular 1/2 apple for breakfast, 1/2 bbq sandwich, 1/2 cup brussel sprouts and an orange for lunch, and 2 slices toast and 2 boiled eggs for dinner. (I ate the eggs and toast on the run because I was in a rush to leave for bible study, after returning home I drank a cup of sugar free russian tea and was able to control any more cravings) Five 16oz cups of water and I am calling it a day.

We've had a bit of a tragedy in our little community today so I wasn't able to walk but I will get that in tomorrow. A well loved couple on the next block lost their 16 year old son to an automobile accident this morning and in this small town environment we all mourn. He was their only child adopted as an infant after many years of them trying to have their own. I've lived here my whole life and as a community we rejoiced when they finally adopted him and as a community we will grieve his passing. Any of you who pray please keep the family in your prayers.

God Bless,
Angie

(Teresa, what is a clementine?)
Old 01-30-2003, 03:56 AM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

Angie, A clementine I think is a mix between a tangerine and an orange. It is sweet, seedless and small. I think they come from Spain.

I started taking a womens one a day vitamin. I hope that helps me keep my energy up and my calories down.

Today Breakfast- Cheerios w/milk, 4oz. yogurt, tea
Lunch - Scrambled Egg Sandwich with small salad
Dinner - Chicken, Salad, Corn Muffin
Snack - Apple
This is about 1350 calories

Good luck everybody, Teresa
Old 01-30-2003, 07:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hey Again Ya'll,

Today was a good day as far as eating goes but I still didn't get out there and walk. I gotta do better in that department or the pounds are gonna stick like glue. That I definitely know from experience. The multi-vitamins are a good idea, I've been taking one for a long time.

Today there was no breakfast but for lunch I had tuna on toast and an apple. Dinner was 1/4 cup BBQ on a bun, 1 cup sliced peaches and 1/2 cup beets. Four big ole 16oz glasses of water was all I could do today. I do survive on about 2/3 pot of coffee a day and a couple of cups of tea so when you add that to all the water I've been getting I sometimes feel like I'm floating.

Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow.

God Bless,
Angie
Old 01-31-2003, 11:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Missed you guys. My computer went down Tues and just got it back today. Can you believe we are almost a week into this already! Anyway, I did good Tue wed and Thurs but kinda blew it today. I had an appointment this am that I was late for so instead of breakfast I grabbed a balance bar. Then for lunch, still rushing, someone sprange for Wendy's (blush) and I had a small hamburger (mustard only, no cheese) and some french fries. Then for dinner I figured I've already blown it so had two tofu dogs on a whole wheat hot dog bun with coleslaw on top.
Oh well. I sure see what a difference starting out right in the am makes for me. Now is the real challange, the weekend! Sounds like you guys are doing great. I'm going to have the BBQ challange myself this weekend cause it's usually the weekends I cook the big meals. Well, hopefully, with my computer back and having to report will give me the extra strength I need. See you tomorrow.