Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 12-27-2004, 08:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Motherof2

Ten pounds in a month is great! How far were you walking every day? I need to do that but living out here in the boonies I've had some neighbors that were walking tell me that they stopped because they kept seeing snakes and then we have people that come out here when security isn't working and drop off stray dogs and they can be scary. Cannot wait to get back to the city!

When I was doing the diet buddy system before we would email each other throughout the day whenever we ate anything. It did help to make me feel guilty when I was pigging out on chips and cookies and junk food. But, not enough to get me off of it competely. Ugh.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I think a lot of that was just that initial weight that you lose when you start a exercise program. I just started walking 1/2 mile a day and worked up to 1 1/2 miles before my knee problems I hope to get up to 3 miles a day this time. I also tried to cut back on my sugar intake but like the rest of you, it is very difficult especially when I have 2 little ones at home. I am going to try to cut back and only have sweets on special occasions once I finish all my Christmas goodies.

At Easter during Lent I try to give up something and last year it was Chocolate. I did it but it was very hard. Not only did I give up chocolate for 40 days it was 47 days because I would not give in on Sundays. I am not Catholic but I think it is a good thing to give up something that would help you pay more attention to God.

I have not walked yet today but plan on after my son gets up from his nap. I will let you know if I did it.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Since I can't get out and walk around here I started "speed cleaning." I rush like a crazed person around the house and clean. It's a major workout for me. I go up and down the stairs and instead of putting things in a basket that need to go downstairs I make a dozen trips. Oddly enough the bed seem so much more comfortalbe when I'm making it up than it normally does. LOL
Chocolate has never been a drawback for me. Don't really care for it but give me a sugar cookie and I'm a happy camper.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

How do you speed clean? I do not have stairs in the house. I have 3 or 4 outside leading to the front door that we do not ever use and I am sure the neighbors would think I am crazy if they saw me running up and down the steps 20 to 30 times plus it would not be good for my bad knee. I would love to be able to do step exercises but my knee will not allow it. That is why I walk and not run.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

HI Ladies!! motherof2, and train nice to see you hereDarla253 I dont think I know you but HI to you too!!Id love to join you ladies, I need to lose 20 lbs!!Im 5 3 and right now I weigh 148 way too much for me, Im comfortable at 128-130, and with me its the sugars,I love chocolate and ICE CREAM, thats a major one for me! This week will be too hard as there is alot of leftover goodies around and New Years coming, but I will start next week for sure!
Im not just saying it,LOL I willstick to my word, I try to walk but now its so cold here in New Hampshire I cant stand it, when you try to walk the cold and wind takes your breath away.
Love the idea of "speedcleaning" Darla. Why cant dieting be more fun?? Does shopping count as exercise,LOL?
Looking forward to getting healthier with you all
Hugs Sandie
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2004, 12:44 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi, everyone.

My name is Melly, I am 39 years old. I can't believe I'm actually typing this. I weigh 150 pounds. I am 5'2''. I had dropped 20 pounds last year, but put 25 back on. I need to watch what I eat, my portion control is off. I have been known, to eat seconds and thirds. This needs to stop. My weakness is bread and pasta. I like vegetables, but I forget to eat them. I need to do better.

Melly
Old 12-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Girls!!

Has everyone walked and/or speed cleaned today!!?? Darla, you could make some speed cleaning exercise tapes, add some energetic music and go into business!! LOL!!!

I did the "Firm" tape yesterday and today a yoga tape. It's only 2 days worth of exercise but like the saying goes......One Day At A Time........

If I only a eat a little of my Christmas candy every day I should be alright. I know I will lose more quickly once the candy is gone but atleast I am getting a start on doing a little exercise compared to what I was doing which was nothing!!!
Darla, what part of Texas do you live in and where are you wanting to move to? I used to live in Allen
(up by Plano) and Loved going to Dallas!!! Oh, there are so many fun places in that city!! The Galleria (I loved to iceskate there!!).........The Women's Museum at Fair Park, The JFK Museum, The Angelica theatre, the shops on Lovers Lane and the shops and cafes in McKinney.
Are you a Texas native? Do you stay at home or work outside the home?

Sandie..I have been to a lot of places but havn't yet been to the New England States. I can just imagine how pretty it must be where you live......and beautiful for walking!!! (Though I understand you may have to exercise inside till spring!!!!)
So, what IS it like where you live? And have you lived there all your life?

Melly........I think we can all do this together if we support one another. Everyone has Something that makes it hard for them to lose weight whether it be portion control..or, in my case, eating WAY to much sugar and soda.
Do you have any ideas of a specific diet plan you might try? What has worked in the past for you?
What about exercise?

What about you, Kay, what's your plan of action?

Darla..are you going to try the high protein thing again?

As for me I plan on doing the "Firm" workout tapes and alternate them with yoga tapes. I am going to follow the diabetic diet which is portion controlled and counting calories. I lost 10 pounds earlier in the year by eating 1350 calories a day. However, I was not exercising.
I am going to try 1500 a day WITH exercise, but don't plan on religiously counting calories until my Christmas candy is gone...but I have started with the exercise this week...........

hugs,train
Old 12-28-2004, 01:54 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Train--I have not really dieted. I was one of those that could eat anything and not gain weight, until I hit 35. Then I got pregnant, I used this as a excuse to eat whatever I wanted. When I lost the weight I was exercising 4 times a week and very busy. So I didn't make time to eat. I have many exercise tapes, I guess I will use one tomorrow. I need to speed clean also.

Melly
Old 12-28-2004, 02:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My left knee use to have to be drained about four times a year but when I started working out and working the muscles in the knee it got so much better. Still have my days but then I just take Bayer aspirin.

You don't have to have stairs to speed clean. Turn on the stereo, LOUD, and clean your house like a crazed woman. You'll be amazed at how fast it wears you out. Even mopping the floor, act like you're in a race but it's one where someone will check to see if you got in the corners really good.

Melly........bread and pasta are the worst! I also love my staches and am also 5'2" but I don't know what I weigh since I don't believe in scales. I know I wear a size 3 and that's all I need to know. They are tight on me now so it's time to diet. Ugh.

Sandie...shopping does count as speed cleaning. Just go to the mall and walk from store to store as fast as you can and if you're like me you don't eat while shopping so I think the malls should be open 24/7 just for us! LOL
Old 12-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

HI Diet Buddies!!!

LOL,I like the idea of the mall being open 24/7,actually the mall near me is open at 5 am for anyone that wants to join their
excercise group, and they speed walk around the mall,I havent tried it yet, I can keep up with the best of them if I know Im speewalking to a sale!!!LOL.
Train yes I have always lived in New England, although I grew up on Cape Cod,which is also nice but too expensive for us to live there. DH is from NH and has always lived here, I dont think I would like living somewhere where there isnt any snow, not that Im a skiier, or anything, but I like the snow.
Im the same way train, once the candy and Xmas goodies are gone, and they arent in the house I will be okay, its the ICE CREAM that is killing me.I would rather starve all day just to have ice cream at night, its just a habit and thats gonna be hard for me.A friend of mine is on this low carb diet 23 hrs of the day and for 1 hour she can have anything she wants, you cant exceed the hour and you cant save the food for later it has to be in that hour. She has lost 15 lbs so far.
Ill check in with you all later
Hugs Sandie