Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Clubs > Trade, Swap & Sell > Online Garage Sale > Wanted Items

Old 11-25-2004, 07:01 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

looking for books on potty training

I am looking for books on potty training. One in particular that I would like to have is called Bye, Bye Diapers. I believe it has Muppet babies on the front.

My 2 1/2 year old wants nothing to do with it. She is 29 months old now.

My 3 other kids were trained by the time they were 2.

Maddie is a very strong-willed stubborn little girl.

Thanks,

Coll
Old 11-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

You might try looking for it at your local public library.

"My children are not responsible for my personal happiness. If they are noisy or tired, it is inconvenient only if I make it so." ~ Celia Straus
Old 12-02-2004, 08:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Post Preview:
I saw Dr Phil do an episode on potty training. Not sure of all the details but he was saying that he could train a child in a day. What he did was get a doll for the child and then have the child potty train the doll. Then when the doll is 'trained' i.e. has sat on the potty for a while, you and the trainer make a HUGE fanfare and celebrate the good job the doll has done!
This is meant to make the child want to do the potty thing and get all the glory just like the doll did.

Sounds like a good plan. My kids are past this stage so not sure of the results but maybe you can check out the Dr Phil method. I would love to hear if it works. Good Luck!

Lorraine.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:01 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

No such luck here.

Maddie just does not want to sit on the potty. I even borrowed a friends little girl and put her on the potty first. As soon as Maddie knew it was her turn she started screaming. This is the first time I have been unsuccessful with potty training.

When my son didn'twant to be potty trained we went to the store and let him pick out his own potty chair. Even this hasn't worked. She says I don't want it.

Right now I am sitting her on it and counting momma's fingers When we get to 10 she is done. We put a sticker on the calendar and clap our hands for her sitting there that long.This is only day 2. Will go for 1 week then add toes if we have to. I really do not know where this stubborn streak comes from.

I'm tempted to call Dr. Phil and tell him to come train her.

Coll
Old 12-11-2006, 11:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Happy face re:potty training

I personally, wouldn't sweat it. my children potty trained at 3,4 yrs old and I have one who turns 3 in feb and not potty trained. when I worked in daycare the school didn't start potty training until age 2 so to me, 2.5 yrs old isn't old to me at all. My aunt said her children were potty trained by 2 so she thinks of my children as late, but in my opinnion, hers were early from what I have seen of that age group so I really wouldn't worry too much yet.. Children do it at their own pace. Sure they need to be nudged to do so, often.. mine did.. but 2.5 yrs old to me, is too young to be getting concerned.(imho) . My suggestions are to keep encouraging, but don't force. I found with my oldest that pushing it and getting upset, only delayed the process. what got him to do it, was doing it to make mommy happy, rather than because not doing it, upset me. and I have found that candy/stickers,treats help too..
Old 12-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

Coll I agree with AprilStampinQueen,all kids are different and when Maddie feels she is ready,she will surprise you one day and that will be it,she will potty train herself.I know that sounds kind of strange,but my oldest daughter was hard to potty train and then my youngest daughter trained herself just by seeing what her sister was doing.She thought it was cool.With my son,I told him one day "This is it 2 diapers and there are no more" he stopped wearing diapers that night,shocked me.

Maddie will let you know when she is ready,sounds like the time training is going okay.My granddaughter was 3 1/2 before she was potty trained,my daughter was in a panic,but soon she realized that her daughter would do it when she was good and ready,lol.

Good luck

Smiles & Hugs
Old 12-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Coll, I agree. Don't worry too much if she isn't ready.

However, a hundred years ago, I used a book called, "Potty Training in Less Than a Day" with my own children and my daycare children with great success. I highly doubt you can train a child in less than a day, but the man's concepts were excellant. I believe he had to potty train severely mentally ill people or something.

Anyway, his concept was this: give the child plenty of salty snacks like pretzels and such to induce the child to do more drinking. The more she drinks, the more opportunities you will have to train her. Keep some candy in the bathroom for which to train her. I used M&Ms. Then, get a drink and wet doll. You use the doll to teach. In the bathroom, give the dolly a drink and then ask the doll if she needs to go potty (or whatever word you plan to use). Then, let the doll pee-pee on the potty. When she does, get all excited and exclaim, "Look! Dolly pottied on the potty! Good girl! Pretty soon, she won't have to wear diapers anymore! Whoo Hooo!" Then, allow your DD to give the doll 3 pieces of candy. Do this briefly over a few days with the dolly and encourage the DD to potty on the potty too so she can help teach the dolly to go pee-pee on the potty. (Use whatever terminology that you want.) Of course, when the dolly gets candy, the DD will eat it. However, after a few days, dolly will be potty trained and will no londer get candy and DD will have to do it if she wants to continue to get the candy.

I even used this method recently with my DGD and it worked. DGS isn't old enough to be trained to go potty yet, so we haven't tried it on him. Also, the drawback I have encountered with this method is that far after they are well potty trained, they still want the praise and candy for it. So, that will eventually have to be weaned off. I also let my kids watch me go potty too, so they could get the idea that all big people go potty.

Also, with my DD, I purchased some frilly, pretty, panties for her to also encourage her to go potty. She wanted to wear those pretty panties so bad!

If your DD is strong-willed, having her be the boss over a dolly to potty train might be a good idea.

I hope this gives you some ideas anyway. I am sure you can still find the book still at libraries. I highly suggest it.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 12-12-2006, 05:50 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

Maddie is now 4 1/2, and thankfully potty trained. I guess it took her turning 4 to make it happen. She was 4 and a couple days when she said she was ready. The doll pp-peeing on the potty did not work, and neither did the Potty Elmo and potty training books, forget it, the pretty panties were useless. we bought Dora, Princess, Strawberry Shortcake. You name them we bought them. Even used pull ups. Tried games and lots of prizes. Forget it. She was and is very strong willed. One tough cookie.