Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 01-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I need Vegan Recipes

My dh is severely allergic to milk in most forms except for Silk-a mild substitute.

Does anyone have any recipes for or ideas on how I can sub milk products for non?

I guess what I need to know is if a recipe calls for 1 cup milk, is it the same measurement of milk-sub? Am I making sense?

My dh is really wanting to have some of his favorite dishes but with all the substitutes for sour cream, cream cheese and milk. And since our state (30 miles away) has made the Worldwide news for MadCow, I am now looking at finding some good vegetarian recipes. Any help is very much appreciated!

ima31girl
Old 02-07-2004, 07:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Black Bean Nacho Bake

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=9497
Old 02-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The Nacho Bake sounds great!

Easy, too! That is the way I like to cook. We have been used to black beans in soup and so this will be a treat! Thanks again.
lynette
Old 03-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Head Moderator

Here are a couple of recipes with no milk in them. My younger son when he was little couldn't have anything with milk in it or even a by product of milk. We used soy baby formula back then as a sub for milk in lots of recipes. I guess if you check in a health food store there is probably other things available now a days.

Chocolate Sorbet

1 cup sugar

one-half cup unsweetened cocoa powder

pinch of salt

2 cups water

2 tablespoons light corn syrup

Whisk sugar, cocoa powder and salt in heavy, medium saucepan to blend. Gradually whisk in two cups water. Mix in corn syrup. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves (do not boil). Refrigerate mixture until cold, about two hours.

To make sorbet in freezer: Transfer mixture to 13-by-9-by-2-inch glass baking dish. Freeze mixture until firm, stirring occasionally, about five hours. Break sorbet into large pieces and transfer to processor. Puree sorbet until smooth and creamy. Spoon sorbet into container; cover and freeze until firm. (Can be prepared three days ahead. Keep frozen.) Let sorbet stand at room temperature five minutes before serving.

Makes two and three-fourths cups.

Source: Bon Appetit magazine, June 1997

Fresh tangerine sorbet

3 and one-half cups fresh tangerine juice (from about 15 tangerines)
three-fourths cup superfine sugar
In a bowl stir together juice and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Chill juice, covered, until cold, about three hours. Freeze juice in an ice cream maker. Sorbet can be made one week ahead.

Makes about five cups.

Source: Gourmet magazine, February 1997

Watermelon popsicles

2 and one-half cups seeded diced watermelon
one-half cup fresh raspberries or frozen unsweetened, thawed
6 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
Combine all ingredients in blender; puree until smooth. Strain into two-cup glass measuring cup, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Pour puree into Popsicle molds, dividing equally. Freeze overnight. (Can be prepared one week ahead. Keep frozen.)

Makes about eight Popsicles.

Source: Bon Appetit magazine, August 1998

Here are some sites to check out for other vegan recipes

www.vegsource.com

http://vegweb.com/food

www.veganchef.com

Good Luck!

Old 03-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lynette,
I don't know really how to substitute the soy milk for regular milk other than I know I used the vanilla in orange julius. It is good.
The chocolate Silk was soooo good, I had to stop buying it. Besides, I have to limit my soy due to thyroid disease.I have found that some brands of soy milk are good, others I would not buy again. I also tried rice milk, but did not care for it, either. The soy cheese is good, at least the Veggie Slices brand makes a great grilled cheese sandwich. They make a block, too, that is good on burritos. The soy sour cream I had was terrible to me. Perhaps another brand would be good, I don't know.
Orange julius:
6 oz. can frozen concentrated orange juice
1 cup milk - low-fat okay (I used the vanilla soy)
1 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
ice cubes to fill blender

-Pour all ingredients, except ice cubes, in a blender.
-Blend, then add ice, blend until smooth.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

MMmmmmm.............. sounds so good!!

Thank you for the recipe and ideas. That is great. It is so hard to find product in the store that does not contain milk!!

Thanks again,
Lynette
Old 08-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Just read through this thread! Finally! It's great to find some vegetarian recipes - unfortunately, DH **hates** chili and all foods Mexican, Italian and Spanish. So, I'm limited!

Lynette - have you checked out
cookbooks at The Farm?

This is a place that is on a strict vegan diet, no meat, no dairy, no eggs. They have a very healthy approach to nutrition - even for kids. I recommend **any** of their cookbooks, but you might want to start with the "Dairy Free and Delicious" cookbook, and then expand from there.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 08-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

WILD RICE PILAF WITH APPLES AND PECANS

I have no idea where I found this one! If someone recognizes it, please let me know so I can give credit where credit is due!

WILD RICE PILAF WITH APPLES AND PECANS

Makes 8 to 10 servings
Wild rice, apples, and pecans just seem to belong together. The texture will really tickle your palate! This is relatively high in complete protein (combination of rice and pecans), but you can increase the protein by adding tofu.

3 3/4 cups water
2/3 cup wild rice, rinsed
2/3 cup long-grain brown rice, rinsed
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
2 tablespoons margarine
1 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup finely diced celery
2 medium tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and diced
1/3 cup orange juice (from 1 large orange)
2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
1/4 cup currants
dash each: cinnamon, nutmeg
freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
½ cup chopped pecans

Bring the water to a boil in a heacy saucepan. Stir in the wild and brown rice and the seasoned salt, return to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the water is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
Heat the margarine in a very large skillet. Add the onion and celery and saute', until the onion is golden. Add the apple and saute' another 5 minutes. Stir in the cooked rice mixture along with the juice, scallions, currants, and spices. Season to taste with pepper.
Saute' over low heat, stirring frequently, another 5 minutes. This may be done somewhat ahead of time to this point, then left covered off the heat until needed. Just before serving, heat through, adding a bit more liquid if the mixture needs it, then stir in the parsley and pecans. Mound in the center of a large serving platter and surround with the stuffed peppers, above.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

Last edited by ewriggs; 08-16-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

LENTIL AND MUSHROOM LOAF WITH SAVORY POTATO FILLING

I have no idea where I found this one! If someone recognizes it, please let me know so I can give credit where credit is due!

LENTIL AND MUSHROOM LOAF WITH SAVORY POTATO FILLING

Makes 8 to 10 servings
Meat pies are a long tradition for English Christmases, so this was devised to be not necessarily imitative of meat but with a sort of stick-to-the ribs quality characteristic of English foods. This flavorful loaf contains the pleasant surprise of a nicely seasoned potato filling in the center.

If you serve this with a grain-dish (rice, wheat, bread, couscous, etc) on the side, the meal becomes a "complete" protein.

1 cup raw lentils
1 tablespoon safflower oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 ounces white mushrooms
5 ounces (l/2 package) thawed frozen spinach
1 tablespoon natural soy sauce2 tablespoons wheat germ
dash nutmeg
1 cup firmly packed grated Stilton or Gruyere soy cheese

Filling

1 tablespoon safflower oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 cup coarsely mashed potato (from about 1 medium cooked and peeled potato)
½ teaspoon each: seasoned salt, dried thyme, and dried basil
curly parsley for garnish

Rinse and sort the lentils. Combine in a heavy saucepan with 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. Drain.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and mushrooms and saute over medium heat, stirring, until the mushrooms are wilted. Stir in the spinach, lentils, soy sauce, and wheat germ. Grind in some pepper and add the nutmeg. Cook, stirring, until the mixture is heated through, then stir in the soy cheese.
Lightly oil a 9- by 5- by 3inch loaf pan, preferably glass. Pour in about 2/3 Of the lentil mixture. Press some of the mixture up the sides of the pan to create a shell about ½ inch thick. Transfer the remaining lentil mixture to a small bowl and reserve until needed.
Rinse the skillet and heat the oil. Add the onion and sautee until golden brown. Add the remaining filling ingredients and saute, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Transfer into the shell created by the lentil mixture, then cover the top with the reserved lentil mixture. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is crusty.
Remove from the oven and let the loaf stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Slide a spatula or knife around the edges to loosen it. Cut slices and arrange them on an oblong dish. Garnish with parsley and serve.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

Last edited by ewriggs; 08-16-2004 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Head Moderator

Here is a couple of vegetarian main dish recipes from "Horn Of The Moon Cookbook", I've tried these and they are good!

Sesame Lo Mein

3 gts water
1/4 cup sunflower oil
2 squares tofu cut into cubes
2 tbsp tamari
1/2 cup carrot, cut into sticks
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp minced fresh ginger root
1 cup sliced celery
1 medium red pepper sliced into sticks
1 cup snow peas, cut in half at an angle
1 8 oa. can water chestnuts, sliced
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 lb. linguine noodles
2 tbsp sesame oil
6 green onions
1 cup tahini

Set water to boil. In a wok heat oil over medium heat. Add tofu and saute till all sides are lightly browned. Pour 1 tbsp. tamari over tofu and quickly toss in. Drain tofu on paper towels and set aside, but leave wok heat on. Add carrots, garlic, ginger root, and celery to wok. After carrots cook 2 minutes, add red pepper, snow peas, water chestnuts, and sesame seeds. Cook 3 minutes more. Add tofu to wok and cook 2 minutes more. Add linguine to boilingwater and stir. Cook pasta till al dente and drain. Set into a large bowl and quickly toss with sesame oil, green onions and remaining tbsp. tamari. pour wok vegetables onto linguine, then pour tahini over vegetables. Toss well and serve. Makes 6 servings

Shepherd's Pie

5 cups mashed potatoes
3 tbsp butter
1/4 plus 1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp. sunflower oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 tsp basil
1 1/2 tsp tarragon
2 cups chopped broccoli, or sliced zucchini
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 square tofu plus 2 tbsp oil OR 1 cup cooked chick peas
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
1 1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
paprika

In large bowl, combine mashed potatoes, 2 tbsp. butter, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, parsley, and cream cheese and set aside. In a 10" skillet, heat oil over medium heat and saute onions, basil, and 1 tsp tarragon, along with broccoli or zucchini. A few minutes later, add green pepper, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. When vegetables are tender but not overcooked, set aside. Add tofu or chick peas to vegetable mix. If using tofu cut it into 1/2" cubes, saute in oil till firm and then add to vegetables.) Mix well. pour into 13x9" pan. Heat 1 tbsp butter in skillet. Saute mushrooms and remaining 1/2 tsp tarragon. Remove from heat and stir in corn and sour cream. Layer on top of the vegetables. Then layer on potatoes, then grated cheese. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake covered 30 minutes at 350 degrees and uncovered 10 to 15 minutes or till browned on top. Let sit 10 minutes before cutting. 6 servings

Hope you enjoy these!