Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-10-2003, 10:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarianism

I'm thinking about starting my family on a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet. Are there any other lacto-ovo vegetarians out there and what kind of stuff do you eat? I've heard that if you don't eat meat you have to make sure you combine proteins the right way or you won't get adequate nutrition. If this is true, how do you know how to combine the right proteins? Is it really that complicated? Are there some good articles on the web you can point me to or maybe some books you would recommend that can explain lacto-ovo vegetarianism to me?

Tami
Old 08-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thumbs up Go Veggies!

Hi Tami,

My dd and I are both ovo-lacto vegetarians. It is not difficult to get the proteins and nutrients that you need. Some food combos (like brown rice and beans) provide complete proteins. Other sources, such as dairy products, soy, tofu, etc. provide other proteins. I don't have a favorite website that explains all of this, but there are sooooo many out there! Your family physician should also be knowledgable about veggie diets. Don't let anyone tell you that you won't get the nutrients/proteins that you and your family need. My ds was a vegetarian for 10 years and he was an athlete and a high school football player. He is now a young adult, 6'2", strong and healthy (and cute, too!).

The only problem my dd and I had when we first became vegetarians was eating too many carbs. It is too easy to make bowls of pastas and breads for main courses. Once I began preparing more meals with veggies and tofu (and reduced the amounts of pastas), we did much better.

Good luck on your new, healthy lifestyle!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Tami, my daughter and I were lacto-ovo vegetarians for three years. We never had any difficulty getting the right amount of protein either. Soy is an excellent source of complete protein - things like tofu, soy milk and veggie burgers. Vegetarian Times is a great source for information and recipes. I'm not sure if they have a website, but I'd guess they do.

I have to agree with Sue, the biggest problem we had was eating too many carbs initially. But once you get more comfortable with vegetarianism, you'll find there is a huge variety of delicious foods to eat.

Good luck!

Kathy
Old 08-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Tami

http://www.fatfree.com/cgi-bin/recipes.cgi

http://www.vegetarian-diet.info/vege...diet_links.htm

The above are just two of my favorites. Have fun.

Wildflower

BD Club
Old 08-25-2010, 10:24 AM
One Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't eat very much meat and I try not to feed a whole lot to my son. There are a lot of great recipes around for some good veggie dishies. In most of the recipes you will find some sort of protein food. I also give my son protein bars as snacks sometimes, to make sure he gets enough. Check the grocery stores you shop in for an organic section. This is where they usually keep all the good vegetarian meals. I found that these meals help give me and my son a wider variety of food to choose from and a better pallet. I don't want my son thinking that Happy Meals are good food, so giving him new things to try helps expand what he likes to eat and helps him make healthier choices.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami, my ds1 is a vegatarian. There are lots of great recipes for lacto/ovo vegetarians out there. I have some great cookbooks and serve the recipes to my whole family! The only think you have to be careful of is serving to much regular tofu to men/boys. (it has something to do with estrogen) but Tempeh is fine. My ds1 eats a lot of tempeh in recipes. Most grocery stores have lots of vegetarian pre-packaged foods and other items as do health food stores. It's easy to eat a well rounded diet without meat.

~Mother Theresa

Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Assistant Moderator

Never heard of "Lacto-Ovo Vegetarianism" LOL

Old 09-20-2011, 05:01 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Kathy, a lacto/ovo vegetarian is one who eats dairy - eggs, milk, cheese etc.

~Mother Theresa

Old 09-20-2011, 06:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Thanks Sammi had not heard of it either. Thought everyone had to eat some veggies/fruits if not meat
Old 09-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

There are several different kinds of vegetarians
vegan is no meat, fish, poultry and no eggs, milk,cheese (no dairy at all)
pescatarian (I hope I spelled that right) will eat fish and dairy but no meat or poultry
most of the vegetarians I know (including my son) eat dairy but no meat, fish or poultry (as in nothing with a parent or face LOL)
All eat vegetable and plant based foods and fruits

~Mother Theresa