Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-25-2003, 10:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sorry Nan, I'm a new strawberry grower too and am hoping someone will answer your questions. We had our first crop. Still a few out there growing but most are done. So I have the same questions. What now? Will they flower again and will we get more strawberries? Is there anything I need to do, like trim them back where the strawberries were? I noticed that my first strawberries were very large but the later ones were smaller. Any reason? They were soooo sweet and delicious!
How many plants do you have Nan? Having a large amount sounds wonderful. Have you ever made strawberry bread? I have a recipe if you want it.
Mary Beth
Old 06-26-2003, 03:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Strawberries

I have two beds of strawberries that are about 4 x 10. My neighbor gave me most (I remember what the are) and I did buy about 4 'everbearing' plants.

A little while ago I could take a meat serving platter out there and fill the entire thing in one day. I noticed a difference a day or two after thoroughly watering the patches...the strawberries seemed to 'pop' up

The birds (or something) are eating one or two strawberries every now and then which I can live with - it's nothing major. Keeps the birds coming back and eating other pesky bugs for me to!

At the beginning of the growing season, I put a thin layer of dried out grass clippings over the ground after I weeded well. I'm only occasionally picking a weed here and there - again something I can live with.

Please post the strawberry bread recipe. I'd love to try it and probably others would too. I wonder how many strawberries the recipe needs?

FINAL STATEMENT: I would definately recommend to other gardeners to try strawberry growing. It's really not that difficult!

Nan
Old 06-26-2003, 08:24 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow, that's a lot of strawberries. We started with about six plants and now have runners happening. We have a couple bluebirds and robbins hanging out this year that seem to keep the other birds away. If they have gotten any strawberries I haven't noticed. I do have ants that are getting to them though. We really have ants everywhere this year!
Here is the bread recipe. I found it at www.allrecipes.com last year. It makes 2 9x5 loafs
Strawberry Bread: http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=8054

I made one batch using white sugar and one with fructose and both turned out beatuifully. Enjoy!
Mary Beth
Old 06-26-2003, 08:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just noticed that it might not be totally clear on the bread recipe that it's 3 cups and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour.
Mary Beth
Old 06-27-2003, 03:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Recipe and Ants

Thanks for posting the recipe. Sounds good

You know I had bunches of ants in the patches too! And those little puppies bite! A couple fell on my hand while picking and ouch!

The strawberries were on the ground. after that I made sure to pick up unripe strawberries and kinda place them on a stem or bunch of leaves to get them off the ground.

Have a great day!
Nan
Old 06-27-2003, 08:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh my gosh-that's the yummiest bread I've had in a long time!!! Had a bunch of kids over today, they thought they were all grown up-had them make the entire thing. Even washing and slicing the strawberries was fun to them

I'm planning on making a bunch of loaves and freezing them for that time when I need a berry "fix". You know it kind of reminded me of that Amish friendship bread; the kind that has a starter, you add ingredients or mix for 10 days, make your bread then there is enough starter to pass to 4 more friends...I bet this berry bread would be great with apples in it too,mmmmmmmmm!
Old 06-28-2003, 02:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

strawberries

Now I'll have to try it. Can you substitute frozen (or storebought ) strawberries instead.

I have a recipe for the starter for that friendship bread. If someone wants it - I'll try to find it.

Nan
Old 06-28-2003, 03:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

So glad you enjoyed the recipe! It's fun to pass on something that works.
Nan, I'm sure you could use store bought, but of course it doesn't have quite as much charm as when they are out of the garden (nor near the taste!). Frozen I'm not sure. Probably, as long as you drained any extra water out before you cut them up.
Apples in it sounds wonderful. I love anything with apples baked in. Not sure which is better, the taste or the smell!
If you find the recipe I'd be interested. Sounds like a nice holiday thing to do.

Mary Beth
Old 06-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I did a search on allrecipes.com and 6 came up under "strawberry bread". some are for using frozen berries, even one with cream cheese-mmm thats my next baking project!