Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-28-2003, 07:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

LJsmom
What DO you do with all those vegetables?

When I was a young man (click on link)
http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/S...rthanwine.html
Well I kissed that girl and I was the father of twins and well I kissed her again and we had another --- Next week they all three will be 35 years old – so I had to feed them some how and we started a garden ---. Wow, what a garden, I retired 7 years ago and I knew that without a hobby I would veg out and lose what life is all about. I expanded my veg garden and also planted flowers everywhere. The area that I mow --- half today half tomorrow – is almost 4 acres. My basic garden is 65 X 75 feet - that does not count my s.b. patch or horseradish patch (or the Orka patch that I hid from her). I use a ‘wide row’ planting system to max my yield (beets are 2 – 3 inch apart in 12 rows only 3 inch apart) (peppers and potatoes are in a 16 inch. X 16 inch. grid). S.b. are wall to wall plants – no sun light to the ground – no weeds.
What do I do withall that asparagus? Today, I ate at least a quart of asparagus AND my current wife took a bag into her sister and one to her mother and three bags into the local pub that we visit. More than half of what I grow is GIVEN away to people that use to garden but cannot anymore. Like others, I grow different kinds. Some like small tomatoes (Early girl etc.) others like big slicers (BIG ZAC’s 4-6 lbs)
I do use all that I can use but I give a lot away. Most gardeners give their excess away after they have their fill, I give a LOT away at first so the people that don’t garden get some right off instead of all at the end of the season. The first two weeks in June we do not keep any strawberries, we give them away, and then when we start to keep ours the others in town are starting to give theirs away, so, if you do not grow, your season is longer than mine. (Our town is 5000 people) Intersection of US 30 and US 61.
This link started because of strawberries, my current wife will pick several quarts a day in June and we will keep only a dozen in the freezer. She does not have a clue that I planted 100 more plants of jumbo type berries this year, those plants will multiply 5 to 6 fold by next year; maybe I won’t be around next year when she has to pick them. That’s something that I did not tell you, I plant it, grow it, weed it but she has to harvest it and find some one to use it. Wait until she finds the 24 Okra plants I planted hidden behind the garage. I think it’s my way to try to stay young and active. Do you see the humor in that or not?
My garden and all that I put into it is all in rememberance of my children's mother and all that she help me to be.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well, that is quit a story and quit an inspirition! I get a chuckle just thinking of you sneaking in that okra and those strawberries.
I'll bet there are lots of people looking forward to your gardening each year and I'm guessing your wife has lots of tales! thanks so much for sharing (your story and your garden).
Old 04-29-2003, 10:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

O'sure-what a wonderful story. Now the question is what does your lovely wife have hidden from you? I'm betting both know about the others "secret" plantings. Sounds like your home is a beautiful place.

My s/b plants are doing so well so far that I'm transplanting some today into my regular garden as a kind of ground cover to keep weeds out, then giving some away to others who have yet to know the joy of these plants.
I too give tons away, mostly to the food pantry in town and others who are in apartments and can't grow the goodies.
Maybe I'll try the straw trick in the fall.
The farming genes are finally catching up to me!
Old 04-29-2003, 05:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

O'sure that's a great story - Do you have a younger brother for my single cousin?!

My husband and I put the box around our s.b. patch. Need to backfill it a little. Couldn't do it caused the wind turned from the north and it temp dropped. Thought it was going to rain but only 56 drops landed on the deck. I know - I'll water tomorrow - for sure it'll rain tomorrow night

I stopped at the store I usually buy my veggie plants at and the plants looked very tiny. Guess I'll have to shop around a little.

Best of luck with your gardening. I'll stay subscribed to this thread to check-in during June and see how everyone's doing.

Nan
Old 05-25-2003, 08:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Status of strawberries

Hi everyone - How's your strawberries growing?

Mine are great - Lots of Strawberries and more flowers! I was worried about telling the old plants from the newer plants...but I can see a difference

Any more ideas on successful strawberry growing? Keep in touch!

Nan
Old 05-25-2003, 10:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Nan! My strawberries are looking beautiful this year. We just got them last year and they didn't do anything but this year they came back and are flourishing. We got them from a local gardner who told us that they were a hybred that should produce large wonderful strawberries so I guess we'll see soon!
Today we spent the day out in the yard.
Yesterday we stopped into a feed store that had a small garden section. In the back of the garden area there were two flats of flowers that were not looking good at all and I had a feeling they were going to be thrown out. I went inside and talked to a clerk and sure enough, so she told me I could just take them. Today we made a new place in the garden and planted them all together. They seemed happier already! We'll see. I also picked up some pansies for 39 cents each because they also were a bit droopy and those also got planted. Our garden is an orphanage this year! It'll be fun to see how they all do.
I'm afraid I'm still pretty new at this so I don't have any advice but if you have strawberries then you must be doing ok.
My brother came out last year and helped us make three, I think he called them French beds, for our garden. They seemed to do good last year and so far so good this year except my lettace has jumped the fence and seems to prefer the ground outside it. Maybe because of the slugs, but its growing beautiful in the pathway.
Mary Beth
Old 05-26-2003, 05:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Strawberries and other gardens

Isn't it great being a success at gardening

All of the fun is seeing if you can keep something growing and producing. But the best is if you can take something half dead and bring it back to life!

We built our house about 10 years ago and had to landscape from scratch. Watch for end of season sales on perrineals and shrubs after Labor Day. Go to stores that don't have a regular nursery year round. Like Wallymart, Kmart, etc. (I don't know about the home centers - check there too) We've purchased blue spruce trees that normally sell for $8-10 for $1.00.

Remember perinneals sleep, creep and leep. Sleep the first year, creep the second year and leep the third year.

Nan
Old 05-28-2003, 04:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for the advice. My flowers are doing well. We've been slowly but surely turning our weed garden into a flower garden. I used to get so confused when I would look at pictures of landscaped gardens. I don't know why but I just couldn't get how they could figure out how to put things. Well, this weekend we dragged some edging that was back in another part of the yard and put it around the flowers and suddenly they looked just like they belonged there. Then we added a couple logs we had and made a boarder for our day lilies and bingo! We added a few rocks and it changed the whole appearance. So now I know the secret, its too simple! Now it's fun. I bought a flat of pansies that were on sale and made my own hanging baskets. I gave everything a good dose of Miracle grow Sat and my pansies are starting to flower. I also found out that if you plant pansies in Oct they will come back up the next year. My neighbor did that last year and sure enough, there they are. Now that I've got the backyard going I'm going to have to get out front where I have a grass garden growing (groan!)
Oh, my strawberries are starting to come in now. They look like they are going to be huge! Do you ever have any trouble with birds?
Mary Beth
Old 05-28-2003, 05:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Birds and Strawberries

The birds haven't given me a problem yet, but as someone said the strawberries aren't ripe yet either!

I watched the birds flying around last evening and they didn't go anywhere near the patch. I'll check them out tomorrow morning, if it's nice out.

I was thinking of putting some skinny sticks in the ground and attach some strips of material to the sticks so the wind blows the material, thereby scaring away the birds. I'll let you know if it works - won't hurt anything trying.

Nan

Last edited by indnan; 05-28-2003 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:55 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Strawberries

Hope everyone's enjoying strawberries! We've had just enough of them...then we get a couple days free...then we have to pick and eat again.

Hey you experienced Strawberry growers...Is there something I should do now that everything is going great. Remember we talked about runners- - Well I have bunches! What should I do? Thin them a bit? Let them grow a bit and pass them out to friends?

If you have so many you can't eat them all, what do you do with them - freeze them and how?

Thanks Nan